PDA

View Full Version : What do you get after hd installing?

KevB
05-14-2003, 03:09 PM
I'm currently use the Knoppix Live CD and I'm very happy with the way it's setup and I'd like to install it over my current hd install of Debian Woody.

My quesiton is though, after the hdinstall will Knoppix still have the same features as the live CD such as KDE 3 and the automatic configuration of hardware?

Thanks in advance,
KevB

RockMumbles
05-14-2003, 03:27 PM
The software will be the same, such as KDE etc. as the system will be "copied" from the running knoppix live system. The knoppix hardware detection is not ran after you have done the hd install. So what I recomend is to make sure all hardware is setup properly nad that you also mount any storage devices you want to use in the hd install then when the running system is copied over to hd things will be very similar to the way they were running from the live cd.

I just put a new video card in a knoopix hd install last night, and the easiest way to fix the XF86Config-4 file was to boot my knoppix cd, let it make a working XF86Config-4 file and then copy that over to my hard drive.

HTH

rock

Stephen
05-14-2003, 05:31 PM
My quesiton is though, after the hdinstall will Knoppix still have the same features as the live CD such as KDE 3 and the automatic configuration of hardware?

Thanks in advance,
KevB

If you just want the newer software like KDE and others then you could use the backports for woody from apt-get.org (http://www.apt-get.org) it will save you space from the all excess programs you will never use on a HD install.

KevB
05-14-2003, 06:00 PM
If you just want the newer software like KDE and others then you could use the backports for woody from apt-get.org (http://www.apt-get.org) it will save you space from the all excess programs you will never use on a HD install.

Thanks, this seems like my best option as my HD isn't that big. I did try adding a source for KDE 3 to my apt-get configuration before but it never updated and left me with KDE 2.2 or whatever is in stable?

Is there an idiots guide to installing KDE 3.1 onto Debian Woody?

Stephen
05-14-2003, 06:28 PM
Thanks, this seems like my best option as my HD isn't that big. I did try adding a source for KDE 3 to my apt-get configuration before but it never updated and left me with KDE 2.2 or whatever is in stable?

Is there an idiots guide to installing KDE 3.1 onto Debian Woody?

Add the line deb http://download.us.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/latest/Debian/ woody main to your sources.list and then apt-get update and then apt-get -s dist-upgrade to simulate the upgrade if you like what you see remove the -s and dist-upgrade. This gives you the latest KDE (3.1.1a) and is best done from a console login as kde is not running at the time.

KevB
05-14-2003, 06:40 PM
Thanks, I've added the apt source and updating apt-get and that worked fine.

But I haven't got KDE installed at the moment, and so apt-get dist-upgrade has no packages to update. I tried to install KDE by doing this:

apt-get install kde

But I get a lot of 'depends' errors like this:

Depends: kdelibs3 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kdebase but it is not going to be installed or kdebase3 is not going to be installed

And lots of other releating to KDE.

Do you know how I can fix this mess?

Stephen
05-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Do you know how I can fix this mess?

You will need to apt-get install kdebase to see which kdebase it will install apt-cache policy kdebase it should be installing 4:3.1.1-0woody3 (that's what it is on my woody machine). That will give you the basic KDE you will have to install other programs if you need them IIRC I had to install konqueror and a few others.

KevB
05-14-2003, 07:22 PM
It's trying to install the correct version, but I still get depends errors when trying to install kdebase.

I get depends errors for, kappfinder, kate, kcontrol, kdebase-bin, kdebase-kio-plugins, kdeprint, kdesktop, kfind, khelpcenter, kicker, klipper, kmenuedit, konqueror-plugins, konqueror, konsole, kpersonalizer, ksmserver, ksplash, ksysguard, ktip, kwin, libkong4.

Then.

E: Sorry, broken packages.

Shouldn't apt-get install everything kdebase needs by itself?

Stephen
05-14-2003, 08:34 PM
Shouldn't apt-get install everything kdebase needs by itself?

I checked my woody install notes I had installed KDE from a fresh woody install then dist-upgrade sorry should have checked first. :oops: You could simulate installing everything it's wants. ie. apt-get -s install kdebase kappfinder kate kcontrol kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdeprint kdesktop kfind khelpcenter kicker klipper kmenuedit konqueror-plugins konqueror konsole kpersonalizer ksmserver ksplash ksysguard ktip kwin libkong4 if everything is ok then install if not then get KDE from woody then upgrade.

KevB
05-15-2003, 10:33 PM
I decided to leave my desktop alone, I don't want to ruin it!

But I have a laptop running Debian Woody stable and I tried installing KDE 3.1 onto that as you said by using apt-get dist-upgrade. All this does is install remove KDE 2 and then install 3 packages which are libraries. After that running apt-get dist-upgrade again gives no packages to be updated. Trying to install kdebase gives the same results as my desktop machine!

Basically it gets down to a dependancy with libarts that it says is not available, which I don't understand as I would have thought anything needed by KDE 3.1 would have been in the apt source?

Thanks for your help so far.

Stephen
05-15-2003, 11:35 PM
There something weird there libarts is no even installed on my woody machine unless it is looking for the aRts Sound.

stephen@192.168.0.1:~$ dpkg -l libarts*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-================-================-================================================
un libarts <none> (no description available)
un libarts-alsa <none> (no description available)
un libarts-mpeglib <none> (no description available)
ii libarts1 1.1.1-0woody1 aRts Sound system
ii libarts1-audiofi 3.1.1-0woody1 audiofile (aRts plugin)
ii libarts1-mpeglib 3.1.1-0woody1 mpeglib is a mp3 and mpeg I video/audio library
ii libartsc0 1.1.1-0woody1 aRts Sound system C support library

What else do you have in your sources.list and have you tried installing every thing it wants on the laptop in the one operation like I suggested above?

RockMumbles
05-16-2003, 12:14 AM
I have upgraded to KDE 3.1.1 on my woody systems.

you'll need to remove libarts and then install libarts1 see Stephen's dpkg -l listing.

You shouldn't have a lot of trouble going from KDE 2.2 to 3.1.1 but going from any 3.X to a newer version can be troublesome.

If you run into problems because a file is listed in two packages use:
dpkg --force overwrite -i * package-name

then rerun apt-get dist-upgrade (and possibly dpkg --configure -a) until everything is OK.

HTH

rock

KevB
05-16-2003, 10:21 AM
What else do you have in your sources.list and have you tried installing every thing it wants on the laptop in the one operation like I suggested above?

In sources.list I have the standard security.debian.org and the two cds I installed from, along with the KDE source.

Trying to install everything it wants on the laptop gets me down to these dependencies:

libart-2.0-2
libsensors1
libasound2
libmad0
poster

KevB
05-16-2003, 10:25 AM
you'll need to remove libarts and then install libarts1 see Stephen's dpkg -l listing.

Tried that and libarts was removed ok, but trying to install libarts 1 gives me these dependencies:

libasound2
libglib2.0-0
libmad0

Trying to install any of these three gives the error: Package * has no installation candidate.

RockMumbles
05-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Do you have sources.list entries for debian stable? Such as:

#Debian
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

#Debian Non-US
deb http://non-us.debian.org/ stable/non-US main contrib non-free

the three packages you need are in debian stable repositories not in kde

HTH

rock

KevB
05-16-2003, 06:16 PM
the three packages you need are in debian stable repositories not in kde

Indeed they are! Thanks very much for your help. I've installed all of the packages it was complaining about and I'm now downloading KDE, hopefully I won't have any further trouble.

Thanks again!

KevB
05-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Everything worked fine and I'm now posting this from KDE 3.1.1!

Thanks again!