PDA

View Full Version : "How to Fat32 in Knoppix 5.0.1"

Brett
07-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Im a Newbie to Knoppix and wanted to install it using the whole drive as dont want windows on my nu laptop, but in the "knoppix-installer" option i dont get to choose a Fat32 format..... when i try and read my usb pen etc with NTFS files on it in the ext3 format install of knoppix it cant read them....

How can i format to fat32 then install on top.....???

thanks Brett

Zrebel
07-15-2006, 04:16 AM
It is possiable to have knoppix run off a fat32 HD... but I think it might be easier just to fix the problem reading your pen drive. Explain what the problem is in more detail and maybe someone can help. Are you sure they are not encrypted? do you get any errors? those kinds of things. Which version are you using?

Brett
07-15-2006, 02:18 PM
thanks for the reply.... when i run the "live cd" of knoppix 5.0.1 it can read my usb pen with windows XP files on it in NTFS format but when i do a hard drive install i only get 3 choice's to format the drive (ext3,reiserfs,and jfs) and it cant read my usb pen files or windows cd's....this is the error with the HD installed trying to read usb pen....eg

"Could not mount device.
The reported errer was:
mount:wrong fs type,bad option, bad superblock
on /dev/sda

missing codepage or other error

in some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so"

And a simalar fault when tring to read any CD's......eg

"could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: cant find /dev/hdc in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab"

I checked and none of the last directory's in the faults are there on my laptop eg. /dev/hdc or /dev/sda

hope thats enough detail
thanks Brett

Zrebel
07-17-2006, 03:58 AM
in some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so"

I like useful info ;)

"could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: cant find /dev/hdc in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab"

If your cd-rom is normally hdc then this is no good. try posting the results from 'udevinfo -q all -p /block/hdc'

Brett
07-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Wow just doing what you ask is a pain...... as i cant copy the info you wanted to my usb pen to send it to you on my XP box as the laptop has a win modem(thats another issue) so i have to re type it out :cry:

P: /block/hdc
N: hdc
S: disk/by-id/ata-TSSTcorpCDDVD_TSL532A_454G216217
S: disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:02.5-ide-1:0
S: cdrom
S: cdrw
S: dvd
S: dvdrw
E: ID_CDROM=1
E: ID_CDROM_CD_R=1
E: ID_CDROM_CD_RW=1
E: ID_CDROM_DVD=1
E: ID_CDROM_DVD_R=1

is that enough info....its got another 10 lines

thanks for the help so far....

UPDATE: on the live cd i cant copy files to the usb pen either....

Zrebel
07-19-2006, 05:22 AM
(its funny i missed that)

Since you don't like typing that much, you should try 4.0.2 because it works alot better.

Cheers!