PDA

View Full Version : more of that "vey limited shell"

scone
07-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi

i just downloaded and burnt the knoppix 5.01 cd (re-burned at 4x)

the cd works like a charm on my compaq r4000 laptop (with the nodma cheat) but fails miserably on my homebuilt athlonxp machine

i tried the knoppix nodma and knoppix failsafe but still the "I/O error" loading the cdrom and a "very limited" shell
the SAME CD works on my compaq

the cd drive in the homebuilt rig is v old (from my old compaq pIII not sure of the year, around '99-'00"

i enabled UDMA in bios, and everything else looks fine.

cdrom is ATA 33, a (phillips, i think) cdrw readspeed 32x or something

Harry Kuhman
07-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Have you tried the knoppix nodam cheat code? Of course it could also be that the drive is so old and marginal that you just are going to have issues with it, or it might be something completely different about the hardware. If nodma does not help you might want to try swapping optical drives just as a temporary test, to help confirm that the drive works in the other system or to rule out the drive as the only problem in the system it is now failing in.

Zrebel
07-16-2006, 02:24 AM
copy the iso image to a partition and use the bootfrom=/dev/hd?/path/to/iso/k*.iso cheatcode and see if she boots, then post any error messages reguarding your cd-rom. replace ? with your hard drive and partition (i.e. a1)

'dmesg' 'udevinfo -q all -p /block/hd?' and 'hdparm /dev/hd?' might help aswell.
replace '?' with the minor number of your cd/dvd device (i.e. [a-z])

edit: sorry about the sloppy first post.

UnderScore
07-16-2006, 04:01 AM
Have you tried the knoppix nodam cheat code? It should be nodma

Harry Kuhman
07-16-2006, 04:33 AM
It should be nodma
Opps, thanks for catching my typo Underscore.

ElMan
07-18-2006, 05:43 PM
I am having the same problem. On a Compaq 2100 laptop I can not get past the "I/O error" "very limited shell". I have used the cheat codes and nothing helps. I have put the CD in another computer and everything works great (except itsays my hard drive is not mounted but that is another issue for another place). I burned the CD at 8x (that is as low as I could). I even tried failsafe and I get the same result. Any other suggestions I have tried all of them on this post and the other post.