PDA

View Full Version : knoppix 5 cupsys

markleong
07-16-2006, 11:39 AM
I just installed Knoppix 5 onto my harddisk. Everything works except the printing.

I do not have a printer attach by is printing to a HP LJ printer attached to a Win XP computer.

When I start KDE Control Center to add a printer, I got a message that I cannot connect to CUPS. I have tried reinstalling CUPSYS and restarting it but got the same error.

Another thing. When I type http://localhost:631, I got the html code and not the webpage.

If I proceed to add a printer, the error message about not being able to connect to CUPS will not appear the next time I start the KDE Control Center again, the error message would not appear. If I remove the printer, the connection error will appear again.

When I tried to print a test page to the printer, I got an error message:- client-error-document-format-not-supported

Can anyone help out?

stukennedyuk
07-17-2006, 04:31 PM
I seem to have the same problem, I couldn't fix it so I'm backing up my home directory right now and doing a re-install, hope you have better luck!

Stoo.....

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24953

markleong
07-18-2006, 02:34 AM
I have installed the same distro on another computer which is connected to a LAN. It detected 2 printers that is shared and CUP seems to be working fine. That is, http://localhost:631 showed what it suppose to show.

It seems that CUP goes bonkers when it cannot detect any printer in the first place.

Anyway, I am trying to upgrade and see what happen.

Try http://localhost:631/admin. Seems to work.

markleong
07-18-2006, 02:35 AM
I have installed the same distro on another computer which is connected to a LAN. It detected 2 printers that is shared and CUP seems to be working fine. That is, http://localhost:631 showed what it suppose to show.

It seems that CUP goes bonkers when it cannot detect any printer in the first place.

Anyway, I am trying to upgrade and see what happen.

Try http://localhost:631/admin. Seems to display ok.

markleong
07-22-2006, 08:45 AM
I am still having problems after doing apt-get update and upgrade.

stukennedyuk, did you manage to solve yours.

The funny thing is that I have install the same distro on 2 other computers and they seemed OK.

posmanet
07-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Hello,

it seems that i'm having similar problems. My situation is:

Knoppix 5.0.1 CD - Debian-like installed on harddisc, has no local printers, but access to two printers over LAN (there's another linux machine with printers (Canon BJC3000 and HP LaserJet-4l) running samba). Older Knoppix versions did that, but this one seems to have a somewhat magic CUPS. It sees the printers, but when i try to install them, it says me (after driver selection) that drivers couldnt be loaded / maybe they're not in their position or some access rights are missing. Well, i ran the KDE's printer setup tool for this, in admin mode. (so i should have root rights)

When i try to add the printer via http://localhost:631 it just shows me a small selection of drivers, and no Canon drivers at all. I added the HP Printer and sent out a testpage, bit its not printing, saying that printer is working and accepting printjobs, but "Unable to get printer status (client-error-forbidden)!". Well, again, i never changed anything on the server, access rights cannot be the reason, and it worked on the same hardware with older Knoppix (4.0.2) on the client.

I once tried to reinstall (and thus upgrade) eveything thats connected with cups via apt-get, but this didnt do the trick. I tried to reinstall the same version of cupsys*, but apt-get tells me that this version (1.1.23-15) cant be downloaded. ??? Well, i did apt-get update before, and apt-cache showpkg cupsys shows me this version available...:

Provides:
1.2.1-4 -
1.2.1-3 -
1.1.23-15 -
1.1.23-10sarge1 -

Well, i'll keep on trying and post when i got it ... but maybe someone else has more knowledge or luck ;-)

posmanet
07-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Hmmm i just tried it with the BJC directly connected (via parport) but with no luck. It also gives me the same cannot-load-the-driver-error.

posmanet
07-27-2006, 12:17 AM
right now it seems to me that the printer drivers are almost completely missing...

On my "good old" machine there are loads of gzipped .ppd driver files in some subdirectories of
/usr/share/cups/model/gutenprint

But on the Knoppix 5 machine there are NONE in this subdirectories... I dont know too much about cups - but this looks like tere is something essential missing in cups and/or gutenprint
Until now, no (apt-get-) installation-try has fixed this problem for me...

posmanet
07-27-2006, 01:45 AM
It seems that cupsys version 1.2.1 has some major problems - i've read alot in other forums about this. (just ask google) For our knoppix there is the possibility to apt-get cups version 1.1.23-10sarge1 and this one is working. Unformtunately you have to remove the cupsys-driver-gimpprint and cupsys-driver-gutenprint because they depend on 1.2.1 of cups. :? Maybe someone knows a deb source (for the sources-list of apt) to get an older version of those? They provide better drivers for my CANON and other printers. :cry:

Jacky
07-27-2006, 07:00 AM
I had similar problems and error messages with my epson CX4700 and here's how I solved it. It is risky because it involves installing the latest gutenprint, and IGNORING dependencies. But then again, if you run off a liveCD with a persistent home directory, you can afford to take some risks. Anything goes wrong, just start again (with a backed-up persistent home image).

1) download and install latest ijsgutenprint ( 4.3.99 in my case)
2) download and install latest foomatic-db-gutenprint (4.3.99)
3) download and install latest libgutenprint2 (4.3.99)
4) download and install latest cupsys-driver-gutenprint (4.3.99)
- here it will ask for dependencies libcupsimage2 and libcupsys
- force the install ignoring these dependencies
5) add printer the usual way and select gutenprint as the driver.
6) Test print worked!

What didn't work:
1) if you use the recommend default drivers (gimp-print etc), you get an error message about drivers couldn't be loaded
2) if you use apt, or allow kpackage or synaptic to install the dependencies in step 4) above, CUPS will break, with weird error messages like "client error document format not supported and so on"
3) in general, I find that upgrading major system packages is not a good idea, and often causes something to break.

posmanet
07-27-2006, 11:00 AM
First of all thanks for Your support, but
this one doesnt work either. When i try to install my BJC3000 printer, and select the gutenprint driver, it still says that dhe driver cannot be loaded. Here's my situation now:

ii cupsys-driver-gutenprint 4.3.99+cvs20060521-4 printer drivers for CUPS
ii foomatic-db-gutenprint 4.3.99+cvs20060521-4 linuxprinting.org printer support - database f
ii ijsgutenprint 4.3.99+cvs20060521-4 inkjet server - Ghostscript driver for Gutenpr
ii libgutenprint2 4.3.99+cvs20060521-4 runtime for the Gutenprint printer driver libr
ii libgutenprintui2-1 4.3.99+cvs20060521-4 runtime for the Gutenprint printer driver user

ii cupsys 1.1.23-10sarge1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
ii cupsys-bsd 1.1.23-10sarge1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD commands
ii cupsys-client 1.1.23-10sarge1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client progr
ii libcupsimage2 1.1.23-10sarge1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - image libs
ii libcupsys2 1.1.23-10sarge1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - dummy libs f
ii libcupsys2-gnutls10 1.1.23-10sarge1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs

posmanet
07-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Solved! :D

I found out a way to get my gutenprint on bjc3000 to work on knoppix 5.0.1 cd hd-installation!
Here's how:

- I installed new with knoppix-installer. No need to get anything with apt-get.
- on my older Knoppix PC (4.0.2) i found the older .deb packages from gutenprint in its /var/cache/apt/archives and put them on the KNX5-PC
- remove the incomplete gutenprint-stuff with
apt-get remove ijsgimpprint cupsys-driver-gutenprint foomatic-db-gutenprint ijsgutenprint libgutenprint2 libgutenprintui2-1
- then install the .deb packages from the KNX4 PC with
dpkg -i libgutenprint2_4.3.99+cvs20060121.dfsg.1-1_i386.deb
dpkg -i cupsys-driver-gutenprint_4.3.99+cvs20060121.dfsg.1-1_i386.deb
- a reboot for safety reasons - and voila! I can install my printer and printing works with the gutenprint driver!!!

My "working" situation looks like this:

ii cups-pdf 2.2.0-1 PDF printer for CUPS
ii cupsconfig-knoppix 0.5-9 Minimalistic cups configuration script for KNO
ii cupsys 1.1.23-15 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
ii cupsys-bsd 1.1.23-15 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD commands
ii cupsys-client 1.1.23-15 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client progr
ii libcupsimage2 1.1.23-15 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - image libs
ii libcupsys2 1.1.23-15 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs

ii cupsys-driver-gutenprint 4.3.99+cvs20060121.dfsg.1-1 printer drivers for CUPS
ii libgutenprint2 4.3.99+cvs20060121.dfsg.1-1 runtime for the Gutenprint printer driver libr

(As You can see, i didn't event touch cupsys.)

--> I think, with the right apt sources (in sources.list) you could also solve this with apt-get. All You need is an older version of the gutenprint stuff.

Jacky
07-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

I notice your cups files are 1.1.23-10Sarge which is older than the default 1.1.23-15 version which comes with Knoppix. May be that's the problem? I didn't dare to touch my cups files because everytime I did, something went wrong. I just used the default Knoppix cups 1.1.23-15, and force installed gutenprint over it.

Why don't you try to simplify your situation and test to see what happens. Take the BJC3000 out of the network and make it local to your Knoppix computer. Then boot up with the LiveCD (ie leave aside the hard-disk installed version). Install gutenprint and then see if it works.

Looking at linuxprinting.org and the gutenprint sites, your BJC3000 is listed as supported by gutenprint and is the recommended driver. However I notice that it says that for the BJC300, it is "untested", whatever that means.

Jacky
07-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Congrats. My earlier reply crossed with yours, but good to hear you have fixed it. As you can see, your method led to the same result as mine since you now have CUPS 1.1.23-15 together with gutenprint 4.3.99 which is what I ended up with also. Looks like these versions of CUPS and gutenprint must go together.

posmanet
07-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Well, together with the gutenprint-version apt-get gave me (4.3.99+cvs20060521-4) it did NOT work on my machine, as mentioned Do Jul 27, 2006 10:00 am.

My situation now is a somewhat older gutenprint version (4.3.99+cvs20060121.dfsg.1-1), and this version also gives me no conflicts in apt dependencies, which is a very great plus! I dont have to ignore dependencies at all! (so no risk and no problem with further apt installations)

I can print on local printers as well as on ipp or smb printers here now. (this is what i've tested) 8)

Greetings

markleong
08-03-2006, 02:58 AM
I still have trouble as described in the starting post.

Anyway, did anyone get plain text html when going to http://localhost:631?

posmanet
08-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Yes, i got plain text html code on this address in the non-working situations. Right now, this site is displayed properly, and printing works - as described above.

markleong
08-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Thought I solved the problem after re-installing. However the problem came back after a few days. Strange but true.

After setting up the printer, I added some applications and a few days later, I could not print again. Got the same error described in the following thread:-

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24838&highlight=cupsys

I think Knoppix 5 got a major problem with cupsys. It causing me some embarassment. Might have to revert back to Knoppix 4.