PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Install questions

hinachan
07-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi,

I'm a newbie, and I hope someone can help me with this. I've just done the PMI, and Knoppix boots up fine...I know I'll need to partition my HD in order to be able to write files to my HD, but I wanted to see if I could get the OS to boot, first. As soon as I can solve this next problem, then I think I'll take the plunge and start divvying up the ol' HD. :)

ON EDIT: I found that I could mount the CD-RW drive with
mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

But here's the weird part...when I'm running Knoppix from the HD, the HD contents are located at file:/cdrom, and the hda1 folder is empty.

Can anyone help me solve THIS mystery? :?:

Thanks in advance!

ruymbeke
07-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Hi,

I'm a newbie, and I hope someone can help me with this. I've just done the PMI, and Knoppix boots up fine...I know I'll need to partition my HD in order to be able to write files to my HD, but I wanted to see if I could get the OS to boot, first. As soon as I can solve this next problem, then I think I'll take the plunge and start divvying up the ol' HD. :)

ON EDIT: I found that I could mount the CD-RW drive with
mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

But here's the weird part...when I'm running Knoppix from the HD, the HD contents are located at file:/cdrom, and the hda1 folder is empty.

Can anyone help me solve THIS mystery? :?:

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
If you are booting from the iso file on hdd, you will have the hda1 (iso boot) partition mounted on /cdrom2.loop.
This is because of the double loopback trick used by the knoppix linunuxrc boot script.
If you want to grant write access to that partition you may have to use something like:
sudo mount -f -o remount,rw /cdrom2.loop
But I will suggest you not to delete/move/or modify the iso file you just booted from...
My two cents,
Gilles

hinachan
07-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi,
If you are booting from the iso file on hdd, you will have the hda1 (iso boot) partition mounted on /cdrom2.loop.
This is because of the double loopback trick used by the knoppix linunuxrc boot script.
If you want to grant write access to that partition you may have to use something like:
sudo mount -f -o remount,rw /cdrom2.loop
But I will suggest you not to delete/move/or modify the iso file you just booted from...
My two cents,
Gilles
Thanks...I'll give that a try!