PDA

View Full Version : Issues Remastering Knoppix 5.0.1

JFlanders
07-18-2006, 11:00 PM
First let me say this is a great forum and I've learned alot about remastering Knoppix.. that being said here goes my n00b problem.

My boss comes to me today and says 'you've played with that knoppix thingy right... I need you to create a CD that has Wyse60 Sessions on it to 3 of our servers (Sco Boxes *shudders*) And I need it yesterday (well not exactly but you know what I mean).

So I start digging and playing I start with UnderScore guide at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867 which is very well written using Knoppinx 3.8.2 as he used in the guide to minimize issues. Works great.. no problems with the remastering.. problem is there isn't really a perfect Wyse60 Emulator for Linux.. Wy60 through Xterm comes close bit isn't there. We have two windows apps that we use (but they want to us thinstations like boxes with Knoppix) TNVT and SmartTerm so I get the idea to use Wine. Both have issues on 3.8.2 older vs.. so I look at 5.0.1 which has a much newer one.

I figure out that XF86Config-4 isn't in 5.0.1 and that I need xorg.conf is the file I need to copy over to /etc/X11 and that I need to change permisions on the PTY sessions for Konsole to work.. ok.. now for the sticking point.. its always in German both in and out of the KDE X session. This wasn't an issue when I was using apt-get to remove packages I knew that J meant Ja and n nein :P But when I fired up Wine I couldn't configure it because it was all in German. and when I installed Smarterm some of it is in german when it runs. But the keyboard is in English, and KDE is in English.

I've done some research and testing and while I can't solve it yet I have found about where its going wrong. If I boot Knoppix setting Lang=us doesn't matter it'll be in US English.. good.. If I use remaster_0.1-6.tar.gz scripts and chroot in after the copy i'm in German.. Bad... if I chroot from the consol and not use the remaster script I'm in US English Good.. but I don't have the full prompt (sh-3.1#) if I su into knoppix it goes to German bad.. if I su into root even though who am i on sh-3.1# reports it to be root the prompt changes like it should (root@tty1[/]#) but now I'm in german again. I know this cause on each user I run a quick apt-get and read the output..

So what am I doing wrong.. Why is it with the remaster_0.1-6.tar.gz scripts on 5.0.1 the user it chroots too after copying the CD is set to German language by default so programs run both in console or gui defaults to the german language even though the keyboard is English. But in 3.8.2 its English. And manually chroot while not fully logged in is in English. I did some digging in the .bash scripts of the knoppix user and couldn't find anything. I'm kind of at my wits end has anyone else had this issue and solved it?

JFlanders
07-20-2006, 02:44 AM
No ideas?

I tried a few other things.. not removing the i18n packages as shown in the guide...
Using the guide at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto and manually copying the CD
Using vs 4.0.2 (which disappointingly had the same WineVs as 3.8.2)
Everything I tried had the same issue..
booting from the CD English
simply chrooting into the copy English
su into a user German

So it has to be something with the users such as knoppix thats changing there default local but I don't know enough about linux to change that... I can change KDE but that fixes just KDE and not apps that run in it like Wine.

Zrebel
07-20-2006, 06:48 AM
Have you checked this place out? www.linuxfromscratch.org/ I'm thinking the scripts you are using automate the initial sys and env building to knoppix standards, you might want to do it yourself.

JFlanders
07-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks Zrebel for the reply, I was able to find a temp solution that fixed the language long enough for me to find out that German or not the two windows apps I was trying to get to run in the newer WINE of Knoppix 5.0.1 weren't going to work, so I'm back to square one on how to get Wyse60 with keyboard mapping running on Knoppix. I'll probably look at a few comercial products and have another look at wy60 with xterm again to see if either of those will be satisfactory.

BTW the way I fixed it for anyone else that has this issue was to su into the user I wanted in English and type
LANG=en_US
LANGUAGE=en
EXPORT LANG
EXPORT LANGUAGE
a running of locale will show you if it works..

Downside of doing this is if you change user and back it'll reset back to de and you have to do it again.

running dpkg-reconfigure locales might help as well if you unselect all other language and set en_US as your default though it gave me a perl error at the end.

I also configured /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig so that LANGUAGE= was set to us not de so that if I did make it into a CD again it wouldn't do that trick again.

elfgoh
07-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks Zrebel for the reply, I was able to find a temp solution that fixed the language long enough for me to find out that German or not the two windows apps I was trying to get to run in the newer WINE of Knoppix 5.0.1 weren't going to work, so I'm back to square one on how to get Wyse60 with keyboard mapping running on Knoppix. I'll probably look at a few comercial products and have another look at wy60 with xterm again to see if either of those will be satisfactory.

BTW the way I fixed it for anyone else that has this issue was to su into the user I wanted in English and type
LANG=en_US
LANGUAGE=en
EXPORT LANG
EXPORT LANGUAGE
a running of locale will show you if it works..

Downside of doing this is if you change user and back it'll reset back to de and you have to do it again.

running dpkg-reconfigure locales might help as well if you unselect all other language and set en_US as your default though it gave me a perl error at the end.

I also configured /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig so that LANGUAGE= was set to us not de so that if I did make it into a CD again it wouldn't do that trick again.

Hi, can try the following:

Edit
/etc/profile, line 10/54

Change:

[ -n "$LANG" ] || LANG="de_DE@euro" to
[-n "$LANG" ] || LANG="en_US" to set default language to US English.

Hope that helps.

tr
07-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Change:

[ -n "$LANG" ] || LANG="de_DE@euro" to
[-n "$LANG" ] || LANG="en_US" to set default language to US English.

That's a good point. If you get error messages of missing locales when running update-menus -v modifying /etc/profile helps (or at least I think so).

But your problem... I think that running dpkg-reconfigure locales and changing default locale to en_US is what you are seeking for. Then running
locale should show you new locale in use.

-tapsa-

katana5
07-21-2006, 01:21 PM
What I found worked was to edit the locale file in /etc/default

single line in the file change LANG=de to LANG=C

exit, then re-enter your chroot environment for the change to be effective, KDE, and apt and konsole should all be english now.

JFlanders
07-25-2006, 03:33 AM
Thanks, I couldn't find a locale file in /etc/default though I had gone back to 4.0 so that could be why so Katana5's suggestion might still work.. but elfgoh's worked perfectly in 4.0.. edited etc/profile set LANG="en_US" got out of chroot and back in.. and everything was in English.. thanks.