PDA

View Full Version : How do i install or put Knoppix on hda

anksingh
07-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Hai Knoppixians

I have windows xp on my system & downloaded Knoppix last night. It is facinating to use even the live CD.
Great! the net works w/o confioguring in Konquerer , however firefox isn't opening sites, don't know why.
But i have only one cd plyer & that is engaged while live cd runs.
Moreover KDE doesn't allows me to change screen resolution to 1024 * 786. View is too fatty like.

I would love to install Knoppix on the hard disk or at least do something to free my cdrom.

Please tell me how.

Harry Kuhman
07-19-2006, 06:16 PM
THere is plenty of information in the wiki, including a warning. See answer #2 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman). Do you have any reason for installing Knoppix rather than installing Debian testing and then installing exactly which applications that you want in Knoppix from the Debian package system, a technique that would result in a working and stable system? So far no one has been able to give me a good answer to that question and I suspect the baby duck syndrome.

tripwire45
07-25-2006, 06:00 AM
I've just found a helpful link on the subject:

http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

If it's true that when you do a hard drive install that it "basically" becomes Debian then "I'm there". I've been running Debian for a couple of years now, but am looking for a "desktop" linux to run on my laptop.

BTW Harry..."baby duck syndrome?"

-Trip

Harry Kuhman
07-25-2006, 06:27 AM
If it's true that when you do a hard drive install that it "basically" becomes Debian then "I'm there". I've been running Debian for a couple of years now, but am looking for a "desktop" linux to run on my laptop.
Sure it's true. In much the same way that if you paint racing stripes on your VW it "basically" becomes a Porsche (except in this case a Porsche with a lot of Fiat qualities).

BTW Harry..."baby duck syndrome?"
Yes, that's my thinking exactly. People install a Live CD without even trying an install of a current version of Debian. They live with the loss of all the space for installed applications that they really didn't want, will never use, and could easily have installed in Debian with apt-get if they decided they did want them. They somehow fear learning to use the very easy apt-get system but ignore warning about the problems that are seen repeatedly with a Live CD "install" and spend so much more time fighting those problems that doing it right would take, and in the end they still can't use apt-get. If you are already a Debian user, do a net-install of Etch and either take the desktop install option (Gnome) or just apt-get whatever GUI that you like best (my Debian install has both Gnome and KDE just so I can play with either). I install just what I want right from the Internet quickly, and I'm sure I'm learning a lot more this way that I would learn if I spent my time tracking down Knoppix hard disk issues.

anksingh
07-26-2006, 05:40 AM
Many Thanks to all of you guys. I guess i will keep running Knoppix Live till i get enough aquainted with Linux.

Harry Kuhman
07-26-2006, 06:25 AM
I would love to install Knoppix on the hard disk or at least do something to free my cdrom.

Please tell me how.

Many Thanks to all of you guys. I guess i will keep running Knoppix Live till i get enough aquainted with Linux.
You are of course free to keep using Knoppix as a live CD. But the post was not intended to discourage you from instaling Linux, just from making the mistake of installing Knoppix, which frequently causes beginners a lot of trouble. If you have empty unpartitioned space on a hard disk that you could have installed Knoppix to, I would suggest that you look at the net install of Debian etch (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_beta2/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso). It is actually very easy to install, and you would have a real Linux system that you could install any additional applications that you want to. And you can still run Knoppix if you want, having Linux on the hard disk doesn't prevent that in any way. And it would free up your CD rom.