PDA

View Full Version : Unmounting the CDROM

gunnerjoe
07-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Hi All,

Just practicing using Knoppix as a recovery boot device. I would like to boot Knoppix, do some harddrive maintence, then pop out the Knoppix CD while Knoppix is still running, pop in a different CD copy some file off to one of the harddrive partitions. But, when I try to umount the CD "As Root" it reports the CDROM is Busy. Must Knoppix have the CD in while its booted? Now I imagine if I was to launch something like OpenOffice it would need to access the CD for files, but the only thin I have running is the desktop and a shell.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

RandomGoon
07-20-2006, 07:29 PM
but you have to have enough RAM to do it. Normally, as it's a live CD, you have to keep the disk in the drive. It will not allow you to eject the CD while the OS is running. However, if you have enough RAM and use the cheatcode at boot boot: knoppix toram it will load the entire CD into memory and allow you to use the CD-ROM as per normal. Alternatively you could do a search on using the Poor Man's Install (PMI) and run that way.

'Goon

gunnerjoe
07-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Joe

but you have to have enough RAM to do it. Normally, as it's a live CD, you have to keep the disk in the drive. It will not allow you to eject the CD while the OS is running. However, if you have enough RAM and use the cheatcode at boot boot: knoppix toram it will load the entire CD into memory and allow you to use the CD-ROM as per normal. Alternatively you could do a search on using the Poor Man's Install (PMI) and run that way.

'Goon

Harry Kuhman
07-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Alternatively you could do a search on using the Poor Man's Install (PMI) and run that way.
That would work, but a better alternative might be to use a much smaller Live CD like DSL or Puppy that can easily load into RAM on most systems.

But if Joe has a NTFS hard drive partition, this isn't going to work no matter what the choice of Live CD.

gunnerjoe
07-20-2006, 08:10 PM
No NTFS, Just Linux.

Alternatively you could do a search on using the Poor Man's Install (PMI) and run that way.
That would work, but a better alternative might be to use a much smaller Live CD like DSL or Puppy that can easily load into RAM on most systems.

But if Joe has a NTFS hard drive partition, this isn't going to work no matter what the choice of Live CD.

malaire
07-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi All,

Just practicing using Knoppix as a recovery boot device. I would like to boot Knoppix, do some harddrive maintence, then pop out the Knoppix CD while Knoppix is still running, pop in a different CD copy some file off to one of the harddrive partitions. But, when I try to umount the CD "As Root" it reports the CDROM is Busy. Must Knoppix have the CD in while its booted? Now I imagine if I was to launch something like OpenOffice it would need to access the CD for files, but the only thin I have running is the desktop and a shell.

See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12867 for how to do that.