PDA

View Full Version : Booting Knoppix live-CD using GRUB

tr
07-21-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm interesting to use GRUB to boot compressed ISO9660 filesystem (KNOPPIX). I think that Kanotix uses this method. How is this done?

I'm going to use also vesafb-tng, so giving different video modes in a command line is too complicated. I hope to get a menu where different kernel options can be choosed easily. Hope to get Knoppix menu WYSIWYG and no secret options (which nobody remembers) to be entered at the boot time in boot shell. Easy and no typos!

-tapsa-

firnsy
07-24-2006, 01:23 AM
I'm interesting to use GRUB to boot compressed ISO9660 filesystem (KNOPPIX). I think that Kanotix uses this method. How is this done?

I'm going to use also vesafb-tng, so giving different video modes in a command line is too complicated. I hope to get a menu where different kernel options can be choosed easily. Hope to get Knoppix menu WYSIWYG and no secret options (which nobody remembers) to be entered at the boot time in boot shell. Easy and no typos!

-tapsa-

It is really quite easy, the following is taken from my remaster scripts. In my scripts I have an option to build the ISO with either ISOLINUX or GRUB support. I've bolded the difference between the two.

52 : if [ "$1" != "legacy" ]
53 : then
54 :
55 : # GRUB bootloader
56 : mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "SECURIX" -publisher "SECURIX Live Team" -m "*.svn" \
57 : -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
58 : -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o $ISO_FILE $MAS_DIR >$TMP 2>&1 & MKISO_PID=$!
59 : FUNC=" ${YELLOW}*${NORMAL} Building the ISO (with GRUB)"
60 : else
61 :
62 : # ISOLINUX bootloader
63 : mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "SECURIX" -publisher "SECURIX Live Team" -m "*.svn" \
64 : -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
65 : -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o $ISO_FILE $MAS_DIR >$TMP 2>&1 & MKISO_PID=$!
66 : FUNC=" ${YELLOW}*${NORMAL} Building the ISO (with ISOLINUX)"
67 : fi