PDA

View Full Version : Unable to boot Knoppix 4 and 5.0.1

easyheyder
07-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi All,

after torrenting the new 5.0.1 and burning it really slow (verify check and md5 are OK) it won't boot. First it did not even recognize the USB keyboard at the 1st screen (not able to input any cheatcodes), after enabling USB-Legacy in the BIOS the keyboard worked, but that was as far as it got.
I get the penguin for a long time, and then that disappears as well.

Trying out my old 4.0 Knoppix I have the same problem.
Restarting the machine is just possible with the power button (no keyboard and/or reset button work).

Athlon XP 2000+
512 MB RAM
MSI KM2M Mobo
80 GB HDD (55% free)
Cherry USB keyboard
Logitech USB optical mouse
Win XP SP2

Anyone got any ideas?

Many "muchas gracias" in advance from Costa Rica,

Haymo "Easy" Heyder

Harry Kuhman
07-22-2006, 06:14 PM
With 5.01 you mention that at first you could not use any cheat codes, but then you fixed USB support in the bios. What cheat codes did you try after that? I would suggest trying failsafe (which will bypass much hardware detection and may result in a not very satisfactory system to use, but you might learn something about the problem in the process) and also stepping through an expert boot and taking notes about how far it gets and how you answer each question. Try booting again when it hangs and answering the last question differently.

You mention your old 4.0. I hope that is 4.02, as 4.0 is not an official Internet release. Did this old disc boot OK on a different computer? I'm just wondering why you have this older copy but are only trying to fix a problem now. You might try the above advice with 4.02 also, and you might even want to stick with 4.02, as a lot of people are reporting more problems with 5.0.1 than with 4.02.