PDA

View Full Version : Cannot sense PCMCIA 5-in-1 card adapter, Knx 4.0.2

Islander
07-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Running Knoppix 4.0.2 on Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600, Linksys PCMCIA Wifi card, and Acer PCMCIA 5in1card adapter. All works fine except for 5in1 adapter. Posting this from Knoppix on that laptop.

Cannot see the adapter under /dev, or /mnt. No 'icon' to rightclick for mount etc. Card is not recognised when inserted. When card is in, /mnt shows 'hde1' (is that the adapter?) in Konqueror, but allows no actions. I think I need to assume that Knoppix hasn't seen the adapter.

I've had a look through all the different utility and system programs under the 'K' menu, but nothing I tried helped me see what hardware configuration Knoppix had identified. I'd be very grateful if someone could point me to where the autoconfiguration sequences will have identified (or missed) the presence of this PCcard. Presumably there's a file somewhere with the PCMCIA and PCcards that have been recognised and sensed, and all the mass storage devices on the system.

Many thanks

Islander

ckamin
07-23-2006, 06:47 AM
Islander:

Your 5 in 1 adaptor should not show up unless there is media present. The media is the device that gets mounted and the adaptor should be transparent in the process of mounting the drive. If hde1 shows up after inserting media, then that is the media you need to mount.

Islander
07-23-2006, 10:54 AM
ckamin,

Thanks for confirming that hde1 would seem to be the adapter. Your interesting point about media is useful. I use SD cards. There's a 16MB SD card in the adapter all the time - and the adapter is inserted all the time - I do this in part to ensure I've always got it/them with me while travelling, and as a convenient carrying place to avoid mislaying the small SD card.

If the hde1 is probably the adapter with its SD media inserted, I'll bone up on how to mount it using a 'mount' command line, because KDE isn't giving me a GUI-style 'mount' option; there's neither an icon, nor is there a 'mount' option when rightclicking on hde1 in the Konqueror 'tree' display.

Although I'm quite at ease with KDE, I haven't tried any commands in text form before.

You've given me a way forward, thanks again,

Islander

Islander
07-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Tried a few things, and have more symptoms:

1: with media inserted:

(a) my mount request:

sudo mount /mnt/hde2

failed complaining that there were no entries in fstab or mtab

(b) etc/fstab contains hda and hdc, not hde

(c) proc/ide contains a subtree with ide2, but all entries are empty files

2: when I use the card without media

(d) proc/ide contains no ide2 subtree (only ide0 and ide1 are listed, being the two built-in ide channels for hard disk and for CD)

In case it's relevant, start-up cheatcodes are:

lang=uk apm=power-off vga=791 xmodule=fbdev acpi=off nomce quiet knoppix_dir=K402 myconfig=/mnt/hda2 home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt

My take is that without media, the system does not sense the storage (reasonable enough). With media, the system senses the storage but does not seem to load the necessary drivers or links or whatever is needed to provide a usable mass storage device. Is there anything else I can check or, more usefully, do to be able to use my card adapter?

Islander