PDA

View Full Version : Reformating a Harddrive?

Sk8erG4388
07-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Im new to doing anything from windows and im trying too get an old laptop i have running smooth again useing knoppix. Ive been succesful at getting knoppix 5.0.1 dvd to run well. i erased the hardrive since i had no desire of useing the windows 2000 that was on it anymore an too be useing knoppix full time for the laptop. i erased the harddrive useing webroot system eraser that comes with windows washer, but now when i use knoppix it cant even mount the harddrive or anything and im guessing thats because its not formated. So what im asking is how do i format my harddrive threw dos i guess, unless knoppix has a feature i can use?

An where should i go for the best like introduction to useing knoppix, for saveing the configuration an other stuff a newbie at knoppix should now?

kk any help will be greatly appreciated an thx!!! :)

Sk8erG4388
07-24-2006, 05:59 PM
ook after messing around with it for some time i managed to figure out what to do an i got the harddrive to be partioned an formatted raw. then i used the knoppix disk manager too do the formating but what format do i use/works best? because im still unable to write too the hard drive

rusty
07-25-2006, 12:14 AM
If you're new to all of linux and want a disto that will install easily to your (now) blank hard drive I suggest you try Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/ or perhaps kanotix. Knoppix is best run from CD, so keep it around for that.

Harry Kuhman
07-25-2006, 12:20 AM
If you're new to all of linux and want a disto that will install easily to your (now) blank hard drive I suggest .....
Rusty, I'm unimpressed by Ubuntu and wonder why you would recommend it over Debian. Kanotix is a nice Live CD and it doesn't have the Knoppix problems of a hard disk install, but again I can't see any good reason to install it rather than just installing Debian and what application the user wishes. Why do you feel it is better to make these recommendations than to sufggest Debian?

Sk8erG4388
07-25-2006, 09:32 PM
ooo well im not playing too use knoppix from the harddrive just right off the dvd drive like intended but i dont know how to use it properly yet too get it too write to the harddrive still