PDA

View Full Version : Seagate Barracuda S-ATA not detected!

smolk
07-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Hi there folks.

I was planning to re-size a few partitions on my Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 S-ATA, and I read that Qtparted in Knoppix was able to do that for me (don't mind this partof the story).

But the problem is, after booting in to Knoppix and all that (went fine btw) I found out that Knoppix didn't find my HDD! It isn't mounted, it isn't in media, AND it isn't in /etc/fstab either (even though hda is there which I am sure is my cd)! I have one P-ATA/IDE-port, which makes hda and hdb, and my HDD is connected to the 3:rd SATA-port, and that would make it hde, right? Anyway, there is no hde or any hdx except hda at all. And yes, the hdd is connected properly and it is detected in bios, and when i don't boot from the cd it boots my xin xp from there.

What ought I do to use my HDD in Knoppix? Is there a cheat code for this? Sort of checked them through, but I may have missed something. [[And btw, I think I use 5.0 (it says Knoppix 5.0 in the default background), could it be that I'm not using 5.01?]]

EDIT: Skip the [[ ]] 5.0/5.01 part, found out that I do have 5.01!

davidxcohen
07-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Hi all javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Knoppix 5.0.1 Live DVD does not succeeded to idetify SATA disk where P-ATA disk is recognized

fstab data:

/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
/dev/pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/fd0 auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/hdd auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /media/hda1 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda3 /media/hda3 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda4 /media/hda4 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda5 /media/hda5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda6 /media/hda6 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0

device is not in /dev/sd**, /dev/hd*, /mnt/*

Hardware configuration:
Petium 4 2.4 GHz
ASUS mother board w/ VIA BIOS P5V800
P-ATA disk 40 GB Samsung definded as primary
SATA disk WD 160 GB on port 3
Win XP on C: at SATA disk

Could anyone tell me how to define the SATA disk for Knoppix at this configuration. :)

Jacky
07-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Hello David, you referred me to this thread.

I tried to reproduce your problem but Knoppix almost always succeeded in detecting my SATA. The only time it failed was when I tried playing with BIOS settings -- the factory default BIOS settings for the onboard IDE in my case did not allow the SATA to be detected. So my only suggestions are to try checking and changing the BIOS settings for your onboard IDE. If you like, post your BIOS settings for onboard IDE here and we'll take a look.

The other possibility (I know it sounds silly) is to check the SATA power and data cable connections to the drive. I find mine are very loose and can shake free very easily.

And for smolk: if KNOPPIX detects your SATA drive, it will be set up as sda1 or something like that.

davidxcohen
07-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Thank you Jacky.

1st about cables: I for got to write but the SATA disk contain Win XP and working fine.

Regarding the BIOS: How do I extract the BIOS data?

David. :)

Jacky
08-01-2006, 07:07 AM
How to access BIOS settings depends on the motherboard you have. A typical way is press the delete key just after booting the system , and before Windows or knoppix or anything else starts up. The manual that came with your motherboard or computer should have instructions for this. Before you make any changes, though, be sure you understand what you are doing, and remember the orignial settings...otherwise you may have trouble later.

BUT considering that the SATA drive is working fine under XP, I doubt that the BIOS settings are the problem in your case. The settings are probably correct.