PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Booting to the Live CD...

wgh
07-25-2006, 01:41 AM
Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hda.../cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/insmod: I/O Error
Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.

My keyboard seems to not function as well.

I've tried the nodma and failsafe options but both didn't make a difference.

Any ideas?

Harry Kuhman
07-25-2006, 01:50 AM
This problem is often seen with a bad burn, bad media, or a burn done at high speed, or a marginal optical drive. I don't have enough information to say if any of these things affect you.

wgh
07-25-2006, 09:46 PM
I've made two burns on different computers... I've used these CDs before for other burns and they worked fine. I still get the same error. Maybe I got a bad iso file? What's the next step in the troubleshooting process?

Harry Kuhman
07-26-2006, 12:08 AM
I've made two burns on different computers... I've used these CDs before for other burns and they worked fine. I still get the same error. Maybe I got a bad iso file? What's the next step in the troubleshooting process?
See answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman), it covers your bad iso question and a lot more. How fast did you do those two burns?

WaKa
07-26-2006, 03:55 AM

The latest knoppix 5.0.1 CD has the media file now implemented at boot. So if you used the cheat codes try:
knoppix myconf=/media/hda...

messerschmitt ME163
08-04-2006, 02:53 PM
I have the same problem too

and I try what Wka suggested but it still doesn't work

WaKa
08-07-2006, 01:43 AM
The CD is located at /dev/hda? My CD is at /dev/hdc
How is your box configured? Cause hda is usually the HDD.
I had a while back i had a gateway on the HDD with hde.
Or are u using the poor mans install?
BTW, If you have Linux or Windows on the HDD you can double check the CD. There should be a number of icons there.
Another thought: Either make your BIOS start your CD first or if you have an F12 just before boot to the menu and choose CD.
Read here (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ). It's Mr Kuhmans' notes. It's very informative.
Read and re-read it all!!

tscott
08-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Perhaps I missed the solution to the posted problems. I am having similar trouble booting Knoppix on two more recent Dell computers. It works on older Dell's. I did try several of the boot options: the failsafe boots but then my keyboard doesn't work. I assume I need to find the correct boot option but don't know what it is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Harry Kuhman
08-18-2006, 09:56 PM
... the failsafe boots but then my keyboard doesn't work.....
Sounds like in your case the disc is likely good, it's just a hardware issue with Knoppix. I don't know the proper "cheat code" if any, but you might want to look at your system BIOS and see if there is any setting that will help you get the keyboard working, particularly if this is a USB keyboard rather than a standard PS2 style keyboard.

WaKa
08-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Maybe the ACPI is enabled by default in BIOS and there isnĀ“t an option to disable it. try
knoppix noapic acpi=off
hope this helps

Capt. Cautious
08-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Good Day folks,
When I first downloaded Knoppix 5.0/0.1 It would not let me mount the HD and the error was something to the effect ' unable to mount fuse, access denied'. Then I checked the MD5 and SHA checksums and both wetre correct yet samre boot / access problem. I thought that potentiallyI had a bad iso so I downloaded it again this time with Bit Tornado. Sums checked again, same error. Does Fuse have to be complied or something to work on the 5x serioe disk?
I remain ~ In Service & In Health,

Captain Cautious :)

Jacky
08-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi,

It looks like you were trying to mount an ntfs partition. Would your problem look something like what was discussed in this thread?

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24881&highlight=

Hope you find something useful from that previous discussion. Regards.

Quigi
11-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Same error here (except cdrom on this NEC Versa is /dev/hdb).

I don't think it's a bad disk. I ran md5sum on the ISO -- OK. After burning, ran "sudo head -c 730036224 /dev/hdc | md5sum" on a different computer -- OK. Booted it with "knoppix testcd" -- much CD activity for about 10 minutes, then booted (and failed) as normal.

Can Knoppix run diskless? I didn't see hard disk mentioned in requirements. But it sure does probe /dev/hda and finds HITACHI_DK227A-50. That disk is messed up; it had Windows installed on it. If /cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/insmod tried to access /dev/hda, that would explain the I/O error. I tried the boot parameters myconf=/dev/hdb, home=/cdrom/knoppix.img (mount reported that /dev/hdb gets mounted on /cdrom), and noscsi. No difference.

Questions: what does that error (/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/insmod: I/O Error -- Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.) mean?

How do I tell Knoppix to leave my hard disk alone? (The existence of a noswap boot parameter is a hint that by default it would use the hard disk.)
Boot param? Get screw driver and take disk drive out?

Thanks

hanktank
11-15-2006, 03:56 AM
Can Knoppix run diskless? I didn't see hard disk mentioned in requirements. But it sure does probe /dev/hda and finds HITACHI_DK227A-50. That disk is messed up; it had Windows installed on it. If /cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/insmod tried to access /dev/hda, that would explain the I/O error. I tried the boot parameters myconf=/dev/hdb, home=/cdrom/knoppix.img (mount reported that /dev/hdb gets mounted on /cdrom), and noscsi. No difference.

Questions: what does that error (/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/insmod: I/O Error -- Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.) mean?

How do I tell Knoppix to leave my hard disk alone? (The existence of a noswap boot parameter is a hint that by default it would use the hard disk.)
Boot param? Get screw driver and take disk drive out?

Thanks

Nemoe
12-02-2006, 09:20 PM
I had this problem (see first posting)

I solved it. Read:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=109468#109468

hanktank
12-04-2006, 03:40 AM
Haven't had a chance to post lately. But I did get the Knoppix CD and DVD both working. The CD I got it working by downloading Nero and burning it the proper way. and the DVD, was just a bad DVD. I had a friend of mine download it and burn it on his DVD player and it works great every time I reboot my computer. Thanks again. Really enjoy reading and posting here. Here's wishing everyone Happy Holidays,