PDA

View Full Version : Washed out look

Tango_Down
07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Hello I am using the 5.0.1 cd with a GeForce 7600gs and an Nforce 4 board. My problem is that whenever I boot knoppix the X server looks faded and washed out. I can mess with my monitor settings but it never gets any easier to read. Accelerated knoppix looks fine, but as it is in Japanese, I would rather use the mainstream version. The same situation happens with Dyne:bolic, except x does not boot at all with it. If this is a new problem I can see if I can write down the error codes as they appear. Thanks in advance to anybody willing to help.
:)

Tango_Down
07-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Hmm, no error message as such, but it did say "Gathering agp devices... 4269 aborted" The monitor flickers on and off several times while it tries to start X, but the text is unreadable untill after I log out of X, and then it is odd and washed out. Mystery of mysteries.

Harry Kuhman
07-25-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure if these two are related or not (and too busy to read through the old posts again at the moment), but you might want to take a look at this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24868&start=0) where the user was complaining of a "too dark" screen to see if it may be the same problem. Even if it isn't the same issue, some of the suggestions made there may apply to you. Have you tried just adjusting the monitor? Many monitors retain their verious settings for each combination of resolution and scan rate, and allow you to have different monitor settings for each mode that you use, so it is not out of the wuerstion that Knoppix just booted into a resolution and scan rate that happen to be set to look washed out on your monitor. (Of course, that's only a theory and it could well be something else.)

Tango_Down
07-25-2006, 08:55 PM
The NVIDIA drivers on this revision of the distro do not support the 7600gs or gt. Booting with code <knoppix xmodule=vesa> makes it visable. Another feature to add for the next release I suppose. Not that it matters much, Linux is not know for its' gaming capability. Thanks for the link, good luck, god speed.