PDA

View Full Version : New to Knoppix - How to play a CD?

FONE_STAR
07-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi I just installed Knoppix-Auditor to HD on my Dell Inspiron 2200. Must say I'm quite impressed so far! I was using Fedora 5 and Knoppix is way more Laptop friendly.

Funny that changing my MAC address and using Kismet is quite intuitive but how do I play a damn cda or mp3 file? It asks "what do you want to open this file with" and damned if I can find XMMS or what to use? Where is it?

Also what is there in terms of soft fones or gtk-gnutella for Knoppix users?

Thanks!

hinachan
08-01-2006, 04:51 AM
Hi I just installed Knoppix-Auditor to HD on my Dell Inspiron 2200.
I'm no expert by any means, but going by what I read online, Knoppix can be kind of problematic when installed to HD. I don't know if that has anything to do with this, but be forewarned that you might run into headaches by not using the live CD.

how do I play a damn cda or mp3 file? It asks "what do you want to open this file with" and damned if I can find XMMS or what to use? Where is it?
Starting with the obvious (which can sometimes be the most baffling!), does this version of the distro even include XMMS? If not, you'd have to download and install it. If XINE is included in your distro, it should play mp3's and the like. I also use Puppy Linux, which doesn't have XMMS, but uses XINE to play audio-only files, as well as the video files it's intended for. There's another similar program, Kaffeine, which might be included with your distro.

I'll admit, I've never used Knoppix-Auditor, but I have tried several live-CD distros. And when I have a problem like that, there's usually another program that's intended to do the job. The main menu might have a "Multimedia" subsection...click on it, and see which programs are included for playing audio or video.

If nothing's there for you to use, then I guess you'd have to install XMMS. But it'll take someone more knowledgeable than I, to walk you through the process. :(

I hope I've been able to help, at least in some small way. :)