PDA

View Full Version : whereis knx-install

A. Jorge Garcia
11-17-2002, 03:27 AM
OK, I tried to run knx-install and got unknown bash command.

I'm trying to do this from the root shell which I got from booting the KNOPPIX CD without KDE.

This machine in a pentium I with 32MB RAM and KDE is too slow even with 128MB swap.

What am I doing wrong???

TIA

Tech2k
11-17-2002, 05:52 AM
Open the root shell and type "cd /usr/local/bin" (no quotes) then hit ENTER and type "knx-hdinstall" .With the ram that low I would (during the install) say "no" to useing the graphical loggin and make that boot floppy (just in case).Then when you boot the hdd install it will go to runlevel 2 (textmode) where you type you login name and password.To start x from there you just type "startx -e fluxbox"

A. Jorge Garcia
11-17-2002, 04:29 PM
With the ram that low I would (during the install) say "no" to useing the graphical loggin and make that boot floppy (just in case).Then when you boot the hdd install it will go to runlevel 2 (textmode) where you type you login name and password.To start x from there you just type "startx -e fluxbox"

Well, that's what I did. I booted with the KNOPPIX 2 option and then used startx. Then KNOPPIX came up with TWM window manager with a note that it couldn't use KDE.

BTW, I looked in /usr/local/bin and only found an executable init file! Does it matter which version of KNOPPIX 3.1 I have? I'm using 3.1-15-7-2002-en.

What is fluxbox?

Regards

Tech2k
11-17-2002, 11:52 PM
Fluxbox is my favorite window manager.It is based on blackbox it's very small and super fast.I like preformance not looks and on my 900mhz with 768meg of pc133ram fluxbox is so fast thats its hard to hit the menu choices :wink:

I dont know if fluxbox is on your iso as I am useing the 16-10-2002-EN.iso but once you startx you should be able to login with some more w/m's.I would get a newer iso if you can.BTW have you tried "startx -e fluxbox" on the iso you have?(I am on dialup and dont get each new one)

Glad you got it running hit my homepage for more Knoppix info and remember "google is your friend".Now your on the hdd you should enjoy "apt-get uptate" then "apt-get install synaptic" and for a cool little text movie open a bash shell and type "bb".Anything you dont have synaptic should make easy to get.

Ken

A. Jorge Garcia
11-18-2002, 01:11 AM
I dont know if fluxbox is on your iso as I am useing the 16-10-2002-EN.iso but once you startx you should be able to login with some more w/m's.I would get a newer iso if you can.BTW have you tried "startx -e fluxbox" on the iso you have?(I am on dialup and dont get each new one)

Yes, I tried startx -e fluxbox but I like TWM better. Of course, I'd prefer KDE, but everything is so SOLOOWWWWW when running KDE on a DOS swap file!

BTW, I still don't have a hd install. Like I said, I don't get anything when I issue the knx-hinstall on the command line in the root console!

Regards,

Tech2k
11-18-2002, 02:42 AM
ok sorry...Yes it matters what iso you have very much!If your iso is over 2 weeks old its old.The script is fairly new so if you want to use it get a new iso.Mine is 16-10-2002 and I know for sure its on that one and newer.If you want to use your old iso then you might have to do a manual install like at the bottom of the online faq...yuck.

A. Jorge Garcia
11-18-2002, 03:17 AM
ok sorry...Yes it matters what iso you have very much!If your iso is over 2 weeks old its old.The script is fairly new so if you want to use it get a new iso.Mine is 16-10-2002 and I know for sure its on that one and newer.If you want to use your old iso then you might have to do a manual install like at the bottom of the online faq...yuck.

OK, I was hoping it was the iso, I was pulling out my hair! I d/l'ed 3.1-08-11-2002-en yesterday, but I haven't burned it yet. So, guess what I'm doing tomorrow!

Thanx for the info!

spreadthecream
01-05-2003, 04:18 PM
In reply to the start of this topic, the reason the install script was unknown was because :

the script is called "knx-hdinstall" not "knx-install", its shouldn't matter what iso you have or anything.

EmDe
11-20-2004, 01:41 AM
Sorry for saying this but you guys got it wrong...

In order to run the Knoppix installer you'll have to type in "knx2hd" not "knx-install or knx-hdinstall"

Thanx ;-)

EmDe
11-20-2004, 01:55 AM
:idea: One more thing, you can also type in "knoppix-installer" without the quotes.

champagnemojo
11-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Sorry for saying this but you guys got it wrong...

In order to run the Knoppix installer you'll have to type in "knx2hd" not "knx-install or knx-hdinstall"

Thanx ;-)

It's a 2 year old thread. Back then the installer script was called knx-hdinstall. :wink: