PDA

View Full Version : Linux Certification

soapee01
05-15-2003, 03:28 PM
I was thinking about going through one of the linux certification programs. I think I'd like to avoid the red hat program, but they all seem to focus on that distro. Has anyone done this (or know someone who has)? Can you recommend one in particular?

Any knowledge first hand or otherwise is appreciated.

Thanks,

soap

cascadefx
05-15-2003, 03:52 PM
Red Hat Certification is nice, but really expensive. I say nice, because the test includes a hands on phase. Being expensive has its benefits as well. That being that the market won't be flooded with RHCE's and therefore the certification will carry weight longer.

If you want a cheaper test that is not distribution-centric, you can try the LPI exam (http://www.lpi.org). This is an "open source" test and has head of various Linux companies on its panel. It is also significantly cheaper (about $100 a test). It is the one that I am currently studying for.

soapee01
05-15-2003, 04:30 PM
I forgot to add that cost really isn't an issue. My company may be willing to pay for the courses provided I can convince them that this is a worthwhile endeavor.

I want to clarify the RHCE problem to me. I don't use red hat, and I don't plan on ever using it. I like the debian social contract, so I want to learn more about debian or at least get a broad linux certification (i.e. not distro specific). Maybe the RHCE program does this and doesn't focus on red hat solely, but I'm skeptical.

Thanks for the quick reply cascadefx.

still wondering,

soap

eadz
05-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Also look into Linux+ . It's made by CompTIA, and is non-distro centric. I have the book but havn't taken the test yet. I think it is a quality test, the only thing I didn't like is there is quite a bit of scsi stuff in it, and I have 0 experience with scsi ( and don't want to! ;) )