PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix won't run on MSI 1029 (M635 megabook)

thureen
07-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Knoppix 5.01 and 3.9 version will not work on my new laptop (detailed specification below). The boot up seems to work fine until it tries to load X windows. When tries to start X windows, my screen goes blank and stays that way. I think the command line functions seem to work (I tried them in debug mode just fine). My laptop seems to be ok on Win XP. It also has Fedora Core 4 on its hard drive, which works fine.

Here the specs of my laptop:

MSI 1029 (M635 megabook)
CPU: AMD Turion TM-32 64
Chipset: ATi RX480 + ATi SB400 Chipset
RAM: Corsair DDR 400 512 MB & 1 GB modules (passes memtest for 3 horus+)
Graphics: ATi Mobile X700 with 128MB
HD: 60 GB 5400 rpm Panasonic
Optical: Dual-Layer DVD/CD burner
Wireless: Atheros 5004X 108Mbps Super A/G
LCD : 15.4" WXGA(1280 X 800)

Any ideas on how to get knoppix working would be helpful!

ckamin
07-31-2006, 08:28 PM
thureen:

You may have to experiment with a few cheat codes to help Knoppix configure your system. Look at the following link: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes Pay attention to any codes related to graphics, since it may appear that you are experiencing trouble there. Failsafe might be a good one to ry, since it covers many of the more common issues. If Failsafe works, then look at the information in the link I provided about it's coverage and the scope of what it covers. You may need to specify which xmodule to use, like ati, radeon, or vesa. If it is a wide screen display, you may have some issues getting the display to work at it's default resolution.