PDA

View Full Version : Recovered using Knoppix, but now it's still there...

randr
07-29-2006, 01:23 AM
My team and I recently recovered a downed Linux server using Knoppix. We were able to back up the hard drive and begin a re-install of RHEL v3. After finshing the install (with complete formating of the HD) the server keeps booting up with a host name of Knoppix and tries to access the Knoppix website after log in. We tried re-installing RHEL v3 multiple times trying different HD formating, but the server kept coming up as Knoppix.

We even put a brand new HD (broke the shrink wrap myself) into the server and installed RHEL v3 and the same problem still came up.

Has Knoppix installed something onto the bios? or ....?

We love Knoppix and recommend it to all our customers for server recovery and "wow" factor with friends, but this is weird.

Help! I cannot send the server back to the customer with Knoppix trying to take over RHEL.

Thank you.

rusty
07-29-2006, 04:33 AM
A few questions:

Please describe your network hardware, server hardware , network card and whether it's a dual booting setup. Is the server behind a firewall, if so describe. DNSMASQ in the picture? Are there other computers on the lan?

Also, how did you obtain Knoppix, what version etc.

Are you resinstalling the backed up RHEL and booting it, or reinstalling RHEL without your backed up file system and the problem is there at that point?

The more info you can provide the better.