PDA

View Full Version : knoppix will not mount my flash drive

jacksonon
07-30-2006, 04:25 AM
I slid in my flash drive, the icon appears. I double click it and I get an error: "Could not mount device......" I checked out dmesg and it said it didn't reconize the uid knoppix so I removed it from fstab. KDE immediaitly picked up on the drive and it was working fine. Before I could pat my self on the back I had to be sure it was working for good. I took out the drive and put it back in, waited for the icon and clicked it. I got the orginal error. :shock: Something auto updates fstab when I slid the flash drive in. Can somebody tell me what?

Thanks for reading,

John

posmanet
07-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Hello,

i've had the same problem and here's how to solve it:

The UDEV system automatically generates the line in /etc/fstab. (This is kinda new) The problem is, on an HD-installation one usually has a username other than knoppix. Just go and check out
/etc/udev/knoppix.rules
and change the knoppix entries to your username and it will work.

see also
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24796

jacksonon
07-31-2006, 01:49 AM
Thanks dude, that did the trick. Now I'm faced with a new obstacule. I only have read premission on the flash drive.

Did this happen to you?

John

posmanet
08-01-2006, 02:10 AM
You need an entry in /etc/sudoers like this one:

posmanet localhost=/usr/bin/remountrw

where posmanet should be replaced by Your username on Your system. This gives the user the right to remount a device from read-only (ro) to read-writeable (rw).

When You've done this You can right-click on the icon on the desktop that "belongs" to Your flash drive (e.g. sda1) and change the read/write mode.