PDA

View Full Version : Only Have uk keyboard in kde.

Nails
07-31-2006, 08:56 AM
If I use the console in kde it uses the uk keyboard layout, but if i switch to using e.g fluxbox or any other window manager i get the us keyboard layout.
Is there any way i can switch to the uk keyboard system wide?
Would appreciate some help!! :lol:

Jacky
08-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Boot from the Knoppix livecd again. Use the following cheat code at the boot: prompt

knoppix lang=uk

When knoppix starts, most things should be localized to uk settings, including apps which you run from fluxbox. If you now make a persistent home directory, these settings will persist and you do not have to type in the cheat code the next time you boot and load the persistent home directory image.

See http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes for some details on cheat codes.

Regards.

Nails
08-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Many thanks for the response. Will your advice only apply if running knoppix from a livecd?
I already have Knoppix installed on a partition of my hard drive.

Jacky
08-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately, once installed to HD, there won't be an opportunity to enter boot cheat codes. In order to set the locale and language defaults to UK there is a whole lot of configuration files which need to be edited, and I am not sure I know what all of them are. On a live CD boot, Knoppix would have done all this automatically.

Anyway, to set the default x keyboard mapping to the UK keyboard, edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf (you will need root privileges for this) Find the line that says Option "XkbLayout" "us". Change it to Option "XkbLayout" "gb".

You should now get most applications using the UK keyboard. This can be easily tested with shift-3 which should show the sterling symbol.

This takes care of keyboard mapping in X. It does not take care of localisation to UK (which affects things like date formats and so on). I would suggest you search google for UK websites on the topic of localisation or setting the locale to the UK environment.

Regards.

Nails
08-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Much appreciated.
That`s done the trick and i now have a uk keyboard on all window managers.
Localisations are not a problem.
Your a diamond.