PDA

View Full Version : Lost NTFS (Yet Again)

kg4wxw
08-01-2006, 04:20 PM
OK first time for every thing :) i have been a long time advocate of knoppix so much i have probraly handed out so many 100 packs of cd's with knoppix burns it isnt even funny :) at the pc shop i worked at i used knoppix to retreve data from either dead drives or nearly dead drives yet i nvr realy tried realy hard to recover data. if knoppix didnt see the ntfs data or fat i called death apon it or sudgested a profesional company to do the work.

now it is my turn..... I recently had to back up some data (about 225 gig's of crap) to one of my other drives (300 gig) due to a windows mess up. so i simply reinstaled a fresh version of windows on a spare 10 gig i had and started to transfer the files i wanted to the "Back up drive". all went fine and dandy..... untill i got the system back up and running and i started to add the other drives to the system. my "Backup Drive" seemed to loose its cookies. i have had this happen in the past several times with windows after a reboot the file system is just gone and to windows it only wants to reformat it.

so i boot up my fav knoppix 3.7 cd to transfer my data via samba over the network (easy right) nope knoppix 3.4 thru the current cd / dvd will not see the data on the drive nor can it tell what the file system is. I have read thru about 50 pages of posts looking for the command or "how to" to specify what the file system is on a drive. I am hopeing that with the all mighty power of knoppix i can retreve my data once again and hopefully buy another drive for my fedora file server. (she's out of space)

thanx for any help you can give!

later

dave
kg4wxw

kg4wxw
08-02-2006, 03:14 AM
well with the help of the oriley knoppix pocket refrence 9.99 i have won the battle....... um thnx for looking at the post i guess

any ways keep up the good work :lol:

Jacky
08-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Glad to hear you fixed it. I was going to suggest looking at Oreilly's Knoppix Hacks (I guess it's a related book). I thought may be you had a corrupt partition table.

Would you care to share with us what you did, so that we can learn something too?