PDA

View Full Version : Using Knoppix to make a Linux cluster on your home network

aay
05-15-2003, 06:08 PM
I recently read about clusterknoppix ('http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/') on another thread ('http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2405#11257 ') in the forums. For those interested in an easy way to use set up a Linux cluster at home this is a great tool. It is really not hard. It also makes use of the terminal server so you can set up one machine as the server and one as the client and share resources.

I plan on doing a hdinstall with clusterknoppix this weekend and see if I can set this up in a more permanent way. I'll post more details back later, but it should work fine and it will make administrating a lot easier.

This is just very, very cool. Tell this to Steve Balmer and Bill Gates who keep saying that Linux doesn't innovate.

cascadefx
05-15-2003, 10:22 PM
I recently read about clusterknoppix ('http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/') on another thread ('http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2405#11257 ') in the forums. For those interested in an easy way to use set up a Linux cluster at home this is a great tool. It is really not hard. It also makes use of the terminal server so you can set up one machine as the server and one as the client and share resources.

I plan on doing a hdinstall with clusterknoppix this weekend and see if I can set this up in a more permanent way. I'll post more details back later, but it should work fine and it will make administrating a lot easier.

This is just very, very cool. Tell this to Steve Balmer and Bill Gates who keep saying that Linux doesn't innovate.

What can and are you use/using clusterknoppix to do?

other than the fact that it is cool why would we do this?

aay
05-15-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm not using it to do any serious cpu crunching, but the nice thing about clusterknoppix is that you can use it in conjunction with knoppix terminal server. I have a 1gig athlon and a 450 amd K6 and the 450 machine works significantly faster when connected to the 1gig athlon machine as a clusterknoppix client than it does by itself.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that hardware that I expected to have problems on the client didn't: namely, the sound card. Playing mp3's over the internet worked fine on the client. I even popped in a compressed movie burned onto a cd and it worked. So did my tv tuner card. This is a real sweet way to maximize older hardware through the use of the terminal server. You get the added benefit of pooled cpu, and administration is easier because if you make updates to the server then all the clients are immediately updated as well. I think I'm going to really like this.

A. Jorge Garcia
05-17-2003, 02:34 AM
OK, this sounds promissing. So what you're telling us is that clusterKNOPPIX will automatically distribute the work load over all the hardware on the cluster. You don't have to use any fancy compilers or write any fancy code for, say, massively parallel architectures or pipelined thruput, right? It just works?? This is VERY astounding!!!

Now, I'm installing a new network for my Computer Science students next year. I was thinking of using the thin-client tip elsewhere in the forum, but clustering has potential. OK, so what if I cluster 25 Pentium IV PC's, each running at 2Ghz with 512MB RAM and 100GB hdds. Will this run, say, one process as if it were a single 50Ghz machine with 12.5GB RAM and 2.5TB storage space????

TIA,

aay
05-17-2003, 03:54 AM
Well it looks like a clusterknoppix hdinstall is a work in progress. Currently ext2 is the only fs that will work for hdinstalls. I haven't yet been able to get clients up and running. I think that the /etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver script needs some hacking for hdinstalls. I've done a bit of this myself but no luck yet. I've been corresponding with ClusterKnoppix's creator, Wim Vandersmissen, about this stuff. He has updated the documentation on his site for hdinstalls and added some forums so I welcome people interested in this to visit his site (listed above).

I'm pretty sure this will work. There just need to be some changes made from the cd version to the hd version of the script.

aay
05-17-2003, 04:26 AM
Now, I'm installing a new network for my Computer Science students next year. I was thinking of using the thin-client tip elsewhere in the forum, but clustering has potential. OK, so what if I cluster 25 Pentium IV PC's, each running at 2Ghz with 512MB RAM and 100GB hdds. Will this run, say, one process as if it were a single 50Ghz machine with 12.5GB RAM and 2.5TB storage space????

TIA,

Hehe! That would be pretty nice wouldn't it. Storage space will not be distributed. RAM will not be distributed. Processes will be distributed.

Here's a quote from the openmosix homepage.

openMosix is a Linux kernel extension for single-system image clustering. This kernel extension turns a network of ordinary IA-32 computers into a supercomputer for Linux applications.

Once you have installed openMosix, the nodes in the cluster start talking to one another and the cluster adapts itself to the workload. Processes originating from any one node, if that node is too busy compared to others, can migrate to any other node. openMosix continuously attempts to optimize the resource allocation.

We achieve this with a kernel patch for Linux, creating a reliable, fast and cost-efficient SSI clustering platform that is linearly scalable and adaptive. With openMosix’ Auto Discovery, a new node can be added while the cluster is running and the cluster will automatically begin to use the new resources.

There is no need to program applications specifically for openMosix. Since all openMosix extensions are inside the kernel, every Linux application automatically and transparently benefits from the distributed computing concept of openMosix. The cluster behaves much as does a Symmetric Multi-Processor, but this solution scales to well over a thousand nodes which can themselves be SMPs.

Sounds pretty nice eh?

Sounds like an openmosix cluster would greatly benifit your classroom project.

Here are a couple of other links that I found that might be helpful to you. They combine openmosix with the Linux Terminal Server Project.

http://www.lpmo.edu/~daniau/ltsp-mosix/
http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/ltsp-omr4-1.html

If you eventually decide to do something like this, let us know how it goes.

Henk Poley
05-17-2003, 05:52 AM
btw, don't forget Quantian (url1 (http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html) | url2 (http://software.biostat.washington.edu/edd/quantix/)) (formerly Quantix). It has the same purpose as ClusterKnoppix, don't know if they are compatible, though. It's Knoppix distro with a bunch freeware 'big math' programs.

btw, does anybody know what happens when a node fails (aka someone presses a reset button)? I hope all transported threads are just halted ('stopped') on the originating machine, so they can be resumed when the 'answer' is lost.

Okay, found it. You might want to disable the reset keys to be sure:
From the OpenMosix FAQ (http://howto.ipng.be/openMosixWiki/index.php/FAQ)

What happens to a job if its node fails?:

If a node crashes all jobs started from that node and all jobs which are currently running on that node due to migration are lost, just as on any ordinary computer.

If you halt a node gracefully (halt, shutdown, or poweroff commands), remote jobs will be sent back to the node where they were initiated (they may then migrate to other running nodes), but obviously all locally initiated jobs should be ended before issuing the halt. (Disconnecting the power on a running machine is never a good idea.)

aay
05-17-2003, 06:20 AM

...all jobs started from that node and all jobs which are currently running on that node due to migration are lost...

Deffinitely something to remember!!!

Henk Poley
05-17-2003, 06:35 AM

...all jobs started from that node and all jobs which are currently running on that node due to migration are lost...
Deffinitely something to remember!!!
I guess that keeping the thread 'stopped' on the originating machine gives all kinds of (time-)dependency problems. But still...

btw, if you open your case you can just unplug the reset switch. And with an ATX case you might want to disable the '5s power-button pressed is reboot' in the BIOS. Anyways this could be a really bummer, you need to be sure all your nodes are rock stable. One whackling NIC contact brings down all machines, or at least the ones which sent out processes to this machine.

I don't know in howfar the Linux kernel supports the ATX specs. But you might be able to 'bend' the reset button to 'reboot'.

remember, users can be lusers...

RockMumbles
05-17-2003, 04:11 PM
What I did yesterday was a clusterKnoppix hd install and found out that it would only act as the openMosix terminal server when running from cd. So I went to the openMosix Howto and did a bit of reading and created the proper /etc/openmosix.map file (or /etc/hpc.map if you have problems look for the /etc/hpc.map and either edit it or get rid of it) and got openMosix to startup on that machine. Then I got the openMosix 2.4.20 kernel image from the clusterKnoppix site and put it on a Morphix hd install, then also did an apt-get for openmosix (the tools) and openmosixview. I put the same /etc/openmosix.map file on that machine, started openmosix (/etc/init.d/openmosix start) and I had a two machine cluster up and running, that easy!

Check out this page for apps that migrate smoothly (http://howto.ipng.be/openMosixWiki/index.php/work%20smoothly) and this one for apps that DoNot migrate (http://howto.ipng.be/openMosixWiki/index.php/don%27t) under openMosix.

HTH

rock

aay
05-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Rock,

This is interesting. I checked /etc/openmosix.map on the cd and on my hdinstall and they are the same. Interestingly they are both completely commented out. I'm interested as to what you changed. I was thinking that the problem related to nfs shares.

After I did my hdinstall I got the following error from my client machine when I tried to boot it.

"Can't NFSmount KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry."

I looked in /etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver script and saw that the nfs share being exported is /cdrom. I figured this was the problem so I made some changes to the script but no luck.

Could you please post your /etc/openmosix.map file?

Thanks.

Adam

Henk Poley
05-17-2003, 05:01 PM
After I did my hdinstall I got the following error from my client machine when I tried to boot it.
If you hd-install Knoppix, most hardware detection (kernel modules will still their job fine off coarse) is removed. So you can't really use it for clients, unless they have a very similar build-up.

You can, off coarse, hd-install Knoppix on all machines (they need a harddrive then), and start them as you would otherwise. They will join the cluster via autodiscovery, AFAIK...

You may need to put up some 'server' thingy that will answer the autodiscovery calls though. Check out the openMosix website for such info, it has good documentation. But off coarse, this should be handled by the hd-install script in the future :roll:

aay
05-17-2003, 05:39 PM
Harware detection isn't really an issue I don't think.

I'm not changing any hardware on the server anytime soon and it was properly set up at install.

The client will just grab a boot image from the server and then do it's own hardware detection (I think).

Adam

A. Jorge Garcia
05-17-2003, 05:44 PM
So clusterKNOPPIX will automatically migrate processes to use other CPUs' resources. This must mean that we're sharing all resources over the network such as RAM, right? OK, I want my SuperComputer now!

Regards,

Henk Poley
05-17-2003, 06:28 PM
This must mean that we're sharing all resources over the network such as RAM, right?
WWJD? JWRTFM! ;-)

The openMosix docs state that the shared memory system is still experimental. You can compile it in by uncommenting "#define ALPHA", but I guess this guy didn't do that. btw, the shared memory system they are using is quite elegant. They give different latencies (=ping?) to the parts of virtual memory that is outside of the local machine, the kernel then tries to move processes closest to the lowest latency mem segment.

dolphin
05-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Rock,

This is interesting. I checked /etc/openmosix.map on the cd and on my hdinstall and they are the same. Interestingly they are both completely commented out. I'm interested as to what you changed. I was thinking that the problem related to nfs shares.

"Can't NFSmount KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry."

I looked in /etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver script and saw that the nfs share being exported is /cdrom. I figured this was the problem so I made some changes to the script but no luck.

Could you please post your /etc/openmosix.map file?

Thanks.

Adam

I've been looking into that NFSmount problem, it seems to be a knoppix problem ;p
You'll get the same error when you install a default Knoppix and try to use the terminalserver. But when I've got some time I'll try to fix it in ClusterKnoppix.

The other problem about only ext2/reiserfs working seems to lay with openmosix, which doesn't seem to play nice with ext3 and pivot_root.

Also XFS isn't supported because I couldn't get the OpenMosix patch and the XFS patch merged. (also the openmosix patch I use is a prerelease of the upcoming openmosix-3)

PS: the NFS problem has nothing to do with the outcommented openmosix.map

dolphin
05-17-2003, 07:10 PM
What I did yesterday was a clusterKnoppix hd install and found out that it would only act as the openMosix terminal server when running from cd. So I went to the openMosix Howto and did a bit of reading and created the proper /etc/openmosix.map file (or /etc/hpc.map if you have problems look for the /etc/hpc.map and either edit it or get rid of it) and got openMosix to startup on that machine. Then I got the openMosix 2.4.20 kernel image from the clusterKnoppix site and put it on a Morphix hd install, then also did an apt-get for openmosix (the tools) and openmosixview. I put the same /etc/openmosix.map file on that machine, started openmosix (/etc/init.d/openmosix start) and I had a two machine cluster up and running, that easy!

The default debian packages for Openmosix/openmosixview are way outdated. I'm using autodiscovery on ClusterKnoppix which doesn't need an openmosix.map or /etc/hpc.map file, thats why it was outcommented and not used.

Henk Poley
05-17-2003, 07:10 PM
The other problem about only ext2/reiserfs working seems to lay with openmosix, which doesn't seem to play nice with ext3 and pivot_root.
Does this explain why the clusterKnoppix CD doesn't boot vey well on my machine? Because it mounted an ext3 partition?

dolphin
05-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Does this explain why the clusterKnoppix CD doesn't boot vey well on my machine? Because it mounted an ext3 partition?

No, that should work, It only gives a problem when you install it to your harddisk and uses an ext3 partition as your root. Thats when the pivot_root comes into action (its executed from linuxrc on the initrd image)

What exactly is your problem with the ext3?

A. Jorge Garcia
05-17-2003, 07:29 PM
OK, calm down, just thinking out-loud while reading the online dox....

Anyway, I think I get it now. Since we are not running specially designed and compiled apps for supercomputing (ala parallel processing, pipelining, number crunching type apps), what happens is that when you start an ordinary app, clusterKNOPPIX will find the node with the most resources available to run it.

Well, this could still benefit my new lab at school. We could setup one clusterKNOPPIX server. Then my students each boot-up a clusterKNOPPIX CD. As more and more students add nodes to the cluster, we get more and more resources added and overall performance should improve.

Regards,

aay
05-17-2003, 07:36 PM
I've been looking into that NFSmount problem, it seems to be a knoppix problem ;p
You'll get the same error when you install a default Knoppix and try to use the terminalserver. But when I've got some time I'll try to fix it in ClusterKnoppix.

Ok, I hadn't used terminal server on a regular Knoppix install but that makes sense.

PS: the NFS problem has nothing to do with the outcommented openmosix.map

That seems to make sense too.

Henk Poley
05-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Well, this could still benefit my new lab at school. We could setup one clusterKNOPPIX server. Then my students each boot-up a clusterKNOPPIX CD. As more and more students add nodes to the cluster, we get more and more resources added and overall performance should improve.
Yup, but you could also setup one as PXE server, and download an appropriate PXE bootfloppy (~36kb) from http://www.rom-o-matic.net/ to run the rest as clients. Though I don't know how well it would handle 25 clients, like you would need.

dolphin
05-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Yup, but you could also setup one as PXE server, and download an appropriate PXE bootfloppy (~36kb) from http://www.rom-o-matic.net/ to run the rest as clients. Though I don't know how well it would handle 25 clients, like you would need.

I've tested it with 12 clients, worked quite well.
Please note that there is also a difference between booting PXE for all your clients or using a ClusterKnoppix CD on each client.

I've added some scripts that when you use the PXE way, all your root@clients or root@master can login as root on all your other clients. (Via RSA keys)

If you use separate CD's, you'll have to do that manually, if you want to run/use OpenMosixView to manage your cluster.

PS: there is also a forum on the ClusterKnoppix homepage http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/ where I'll try to post/answer/fix bugs :)

RockMumbles
05-18-2003, 01:55 AM
dolphin -

I put the openMosix kernel (from clusterKnoppix) on my Morphix (unstable) hd install, it looks like it has the same version of openmosixview (1.4-1), but the unstable version of openmosix (the toolkit) is 0.2.4-5, clusterKnoppix is using openmosix-tools 0.3.1-2.

You are correct, the bad /etc/hpc.map and /etc/openmosix.map files (which used 127.0.0.1 for the ip) on my Morphix box were from the old version of openmosix in debian unstable. The reason I edited /etc/openmosix.map on my clusterKnoppix hd install is because I was getting dpkg errors about it not being able configure the openmosix package and start /etc/init.d/openmosix.

Has anyone booted multiple clusterKnoppix cd's, (I only have one copy of the cd so far) if so did everything work OK, or did you have to do some configuration?

I know everything seems to run fine using clusterKnoppix and using the remote terminal server and 'PXE' booting into a running clusterKnoppix cd.

the important stuff from my openmosix.map file:
# MOSIX-# IP number-of-nodes
# ============================
1 *** 192.168.1.66 *** 1
2 *** 192.168.1.65 *** 1
3 *** 192.168.1.67 *** 1

rock

aay
05-19-2003, 06:06 PM
[quote="RockMumbles" Has anyone booted multiple clusterKnoppix cd's, (I only have one copy of the cd so far) if so did everything work OK, or did you have to do some configuration?
[/quote]

I have done this and it seems to work fine. As I recall you don't have to do anything special to get this to work.

Henk Poley
05-19-2003, 06:14 PM
What version of clusterKnoppix do you use? I've tried to use the newest (based on the 16 may release) and the previous one, but both fail to init my network card (on-board SiS900). I'm now burning the 16-may 'vanilla' Knoppix to check if something is broken on Knoppix side.

[Edit]It's not Knoppix, I'll burn the clusterKnoppix again, maybe I made a mistake, didn't select burnfree or something...

dmiller
06-30-2003, 03:31 PM
I need help with a simple cluster knoppix based home network cluster.

I have been running Knoppix for months on 3 amd 1 to 2 ghz machines connected via a 10/100 both from CD and HDINSTALL Knoppix->debian. The machines are connected with an inexpensive
switch with builtin DHCP server. I am relatively inexperienced with Linux, but am learning.

I have downloaded and burned both Cluster Knoppix and Quantian Knoppix CD's with Mosix .

Now what do I do?

What do I do next to start up the cluster. Is there a simple HOWTO?

Do I just put a quantian CD and boot one machine and boot up the others with Knoppix? Do I need to do anything to "start" Mosix.

Do I need to download software to moniter the Mosix operation?

How do I start up in the simplest possible way?

aay
06-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Well did you look at the documentation at the ClusterKnoppix website (http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/)? It's really straight forward - screenshots and all.

ziyad
07-22-2003, 03:18 PM
I have followed the steps on http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/doc/xx.html
But after the last step nothing happens. How can i tell if my cluster is working.
How do I get these screenshots where they show 12 nodes being monitored.

Can i add a mac to the cluster.

What is PXE and why is so necessary.

ziyad
07-22-2003, 03:21 PM
What if I have a parallel code that is supposed to be run on independent processors. Will clusterknoppix be happy with it.

A. Jorge Garcia
07-22-2003, 04:36 PM
ClusterKnoppix is not based on Beowolf, its based on OpenMosix. In the OpenMosix model, processes that would stress the hardware resources of your node will be automaticaly distributed to the hardware resouces elsewhere on the cluster to a node that is not overly taxed. All you need to do is boot a ClusterKnoppix CD at each PC on a LAN that you want to make into nodes of your cluster.

If you want to run massively parallel code or some sort of cascade routine, this is not the cluster for you AFAIK. Isn't that the Beowolf model?

I want to try an OpenMosix cluster to find a counter example to Beal's conjecture. I don't have to run special code for this as all I need to do is start-up several instances of the same program with different inputs. As the inputs get larger, the processes take more and more RAM to simulate Very Large Integers. These processes are also very time consuming and number intensive.

Good luck with your efforts. I'd be very interested if you find a solution to your problem, however. Keep me posted!

TIA,

ziyad
07-23-2003, 11:36 AM
My application is to create a parallel code for a 3d poisson solver in fortran.
We have a cluster we bought from Dell. But that stupid thing didn't come with any softwares. and the admin doesn't know jack how to use the cluster. We told him to put a fortran compiler on it but he doesn't know how to. Hence we are stuck. (don't ask me why the admin doens't call dell)

i was thinking that I will use My PC and add the cluster as my clients.
But the admin won't let us put anything on the cluster. Hence I cannot install cluster knoppix on the cluster.

I have to some how use the cluster without installing anything on it.
Any suggestions.

A. Jorge Garcia
07-23-2003, 03:22 PM
I haven't had a chance to try this myself, but AFAIK ClusterKnoppix is made for a LAN of PCs. If you want 10 nodes in your cluster, burn 10 CDs and boot 10 PCs on the LAN. Voila, instant cluster, just add water. IE: don't install anything!

What kind of clustering hardware did you get from Dell. Somehow it sounds to me like its not a LAN of PCs....

Regards,

ziyad
07-24-2003, 04:15 AM
What kind of clustering hardware did you get from Dell. Somehow it sounds to me like its not a LAN of PCs....

Regards,

yeah it is not a LAN of PC's It is made of 4U racks. let me ask the admin about the configuration.

ziyad
07-28-2003, 08:22 PM
on openmosix website it says

MPI and openMosix are like bread and peanut butter, they just love each other.

For MPICH, the ch_p4 device is the most general and supports SMP nodes, MPMD programs, and heterogeneous collections of systems.
The ch_p4mpd device supports only homogenous clusters of uniprocessors, but provides for far faster and more scalable startup.
MPICH-GM is for Myrinet switch-connected clusters.
The ch_shmem device is inappropriate for openMosix since it is for a single shared-memory system.

since beowulf is MPI cluster. hence i should be able to write parallel code and run on cluster knoppix.

Quino3D
09-21-2003, 07:33 AM
I have read the posts, and i have a question: How I start? y have several machines, since P4 to 166MMX, can all really work together like only one? what I need to have installed on it. Is it as easy as installing linux on a single machine? Can I share machines with other S.O.? Thanks a lot

A. Jorge Garcia
10-18-2003, 01:36 AM
I'm about to set up a LAN with knoppix-installer and PXE. Should I try out ClusterKnoppix first? Any new developments?

TIA,

Lidio Mozi
11-08-2003, 04:48 PM
I'm actually reach the following stage.

P III 550 - ClusterKnoppix 3.3 hdinstalled OK.
Powered on, got KDE, then "Start" -> KNOPPIX -> Services -> and Start knoppix OpenMosix Terminal Server (and configuration performed).
Found it very easy.

Icons of "opneMosixview 1.4" and "openMosixmigmon 1.4"on desktop and programs launched.

P Pro 200 - 98 MRam - no HD
Booting via LAN (3C905)starts downloading ClusterKnoppix from the P III, but after a while gives the following error :
"Cant NFSmolunt KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell".

I'm still desperately trying (and browsing forums, sites etc.).

Suggestions?

jcftang
12-22-2003, 12:20 PM
i dont know how interested people are, but i've remastered the latest 3.3 knoppix disk with lam-mpi (dev, mpi doc's and xmpi) and some extra utilities for myself and my fellow students in college, since not everyone in my class can install linux at home and get mpi installed etc... i can stick the iso up online if people want it, its nothing too fancy.

as far as i recall neither clusterknoppix or quantian has an mpi implementation installed, which makes them less useful for people wanting to write their own solutions to problems :)

jaybo
12-23-2003, 06:45 PM
i dont know how interested people are, but i've remastered the latest 3.3 knoppix disk with lam-mpi (dev, mpi doc's and xmpi) and some extra utilities for myself and my fellow students in college, since not everyone in my class can install linux at home and get mpi installed etc... i can stick the iso up online if people want it, its nothing too fancy.

Hi i am interested
email iamgroovin(at)yahoo(dot)com
thanks
jaybo

A. Jorge Garcia
12-26-2003, 02:38 PM
What I'm wondering is what apps can you run this way. Why do you use a cluster - mpi or otherwise?

TIA,

locutus
12-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Here is what I did to cheat and get LTSP running on a HD installed Knoppix system( should work for ClusterKnoppix ):

1) boot from the CD and start the LTSP
2) tar up the /tmp/tftp directory and save it to either a hard disk, USB or something persistant
3) boot your HD installed system and start your LTSP session
4) extract the KNOPPIX compressed filesystem from the Knoppix CD to the /cdrom directory
5) un-tar your saved /tmp/tftp data to the local /tmp/tftp system
6) edit the default file in /etc/tftp/pxeconfig directory so that it uses the current IP address
( you can also customize the boot configuration for the PXE boot systems )

Now you should be able to boot a bunch of nodes on your network from your HD installed Knoppix/Debian system. Or ClusterKnoppix. ;)

I'll work on fixing the terminal-server script so this is not needed but in the mean time... enjoy. :)

deathmas
01-29-2004, 08:33 AM
I'm actually reach the following stage.

P III 550 - ClusterKnoppix 3.3 hdinstalled OK.
Powered on, got KDE, then "Start" -> KNOPPIX -> Services -> and Start knoppix OpenMosix Terminal Server (and configuration performed).
Found it very easy.

Icons of "opneMosixview 1.4" and "openMosixmigmon 1.4"on desktop and programs launched.

P Pro 200 - 98 MRam - no HD
Booting via LAN (3C905)starts downloading ClusterKnoppix from the P III, but after a while gives the following error :
"Cant NFSmolunt KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell".

I'm still desperately trying (and browsing forums, sites etc.).

Suggestions?

Well it sounds much lke the regular knoppix i had the same problem the only way i found that worked to fix it was to copy the KNOPPIX dir from the cdrom and place it in the /cdrom folder it worked no problems right away

locutus
01-29-2004, 05:17 PM
I'll have to try that since I know copying the /tmp/tftp stuff AND /cdrom works. It would be much easier just copying the CDROM to /cdrom. Thanks for the hint.

One more thing. I had tried mounting the ISO image as /cdromISO and changed all references in the knoppix-terminalserver script from /cdrom to /cdromISO but that didn't work. NFS complained. Being able to run LTSP from a mounted ISO/KNOPPIX would be the best way to run this IMHO. Eventually, I'd like to figure out how to specify LTSP boot images based on either MAC addresses or a list of MAC addresses.

aay
01-29-2004, 07:06 PM
I'll have to try that since I know copying the /tmp/tftp stuff AND /cdrom works. It would be much easier just copying the CDROM to /cdrom. Thanks for the hint.

One more thing. I had tried mounting the ISO image as /cdromISO and changed all references in the knoppix-terminalserver script from /cdrom to /cdromISO but that didn't work. NFS complained. Being able to run LTSP from a mounted ISO/KNOPPIX would be the best way to run this IMHO. Eventually, I'd like to figure out how to specify LTSP boot images based on either MAC addresses or a list of MAC addresses.

It still seems like there should be a way to get this working completely from a hd install. Copying things to /cdrom is one way, but then you are limited to being able to run only the applications from the cd and not the newly installed ones. What about making /cdrom a symbolic link to /? Is there any way to link /cdrom to the directory structure on a hdinstall and have it work? Just a thought. It seems an easier solution than trying to rewrite the script.

locutus
01-31-2004, 01:14 AM
install your applications in /cdrom on your server and you'll find them on every client that boots from the server in the clients /cdrom directory. Not very difficult but it would be nice if the knoppix-terminalserver script was patched on HDD Install to work with a user defined mount point( or directory ). But this'll work too.

aay
01-31-2004, 02:44 AM
install your applications in /cdrom on your server and you'll find them on every client that boots from the server in the clients /cdrom directory. Not very difficult but it would be nice if the knoppix-terminalserver script was patched on HDD Install to work with a user defined mount point( or directory ). But this'll work too.

So turning /cdrom into a symbolic link for / (or whatever) won't work? How come? I haven't had a chance to give it a try yet.

deathmas
01-31-2004, 06:29 AM
That sounds like a great idea and it is much more effective in the way that things should be done I will have to look into it myself thats what I was hoping for is a way to actually use the same drive as the server

dagfinn
02-23-2004, 09:28 AM
I am looking for any documentation on the issue of patching a Debian kernel with the openMosix patch. As stated here the current clusterknoppix kernel is patched from an upcoming openMosix release.
The problems I have is the lack of "root over nfs" and proper support for ext3 and jfs, so I wish to atempt making a kernel with these options.
Has anyone been able to do this?

charlesfan
02-25-2004, 06:42 AM
Quantian Scientific Computing Environment

- A Knoppix / Debian variant tailored to numerical and quantitative analysis

it's base on cluster knoppix :)

a real Live CD linux for science / maths :)

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/papers/quantian_dsc2003.pdf

does anybody know ?

However, Quantian differs from Knoppix by adding a set of programs of interest to applied or theoretical workers in quantitative or data-driven fields. The added quantitative, numerical or scientific programs comprise

kovk
03-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Several people have mentioned having problems getting it to run from a hdinstall. A freind an I just set up a small cluster of 6 PC's in my office as an experiment. I did a hdinstall to my main computer in the hopes of using it as the master node but as you said it didn't work. I got around this by reinstalling knoppix using knoppix-installer instead of knx-hdinstall and telling it to boot in "knoppix" mode (ie: redetects hardware everytime, and uses the regular knoppix script)

If you do it like this openmosix works perfectly as if it was from the cd but much faster.

charlesfan
03-01-2004, 03:59 AM
Several people have mentioned having problems getting it to run from a hdinstall. A freind an I just set up a small cluster of 6 PC's in my office as an experiment. I did a hdinstall to my main computer in the hopes of using it as the master node but as you said it didn't work. I got around this by reinstalling knoppix using knoppix-installer instead of knx-hdinstall and telling it to boot in "knoppix" mode (ie: redetects hardware everytime, and uses the regular knoppix script)

If you do it like this openmosix works perfectly as if it was from the cd but much faster.

any body tried to build a cluster using poor man install ?

(just copy the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX image file into a harddrive, and boot it using lilo ? (or copy it to a vfat partition and boot it using loadlin.exe v1.6c)

it only took 5 minute to copy a 700MB image to the harddrive :D

Quantian has released a 'kitchen sink' version 0.4.9.4.ks which is 934 MB and is base on the latest "Cluster Knoppix 20040216" plus some software maths / science application for cluster computing and tex editor

so it only took about 1GB of disk space (haven't count swap)

see here for more package details :

packages list:
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian/quantian_0.4.9.4.ks.quantian.txt

detailed packages list:
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian/quantian_0.4.9.4.ks.quantian.packages.txt :shock:

bernhard
03-18-2004, 01:20 PM

as far as i recall neither clusterknoppix or quantian has an mpi implementation installed, which makes them less useful for people wanting to write their own solutions to problems :)

thats exactly what i am looking for. unfortunately, my lam installation on knoppix does not work :(

can i download it from your site? baiching_at_gup_._jku_._at

aay
03-18-2004, 03:52 PM

This is interesting. Thanks. I don't think that getting it to work from the HD though has anything to do with hardware redetection. If it can be made to work using the "Knoppix" style install, then it should also be possible to get it to work using the other method.

johnb
03-20-2004, 01:05 AM
I have been playing with the ClusterKnoppix & Quantain
quite a bit and would be happy to answer some questions on getting it going.
johnb

aay
03-20-2004, 05:47 AM
I have been playing with the ClusterKnoppix & Quantain
quite a bit and would be happy to answer some questions on getting it going.
johnb

Have you gotten the terminal server working from a HD install? If so, what was the trick? Or did you use bernhard's method?

johnb
03-21-2004, 04:01 AM
This is a how to for the new version of clusterKNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN-cl1.iso ~ 538MB in a newbie style.

One of the new features an install to the hard drive for the nodes on a separate partition. This is the image on the cd. I haven't tried adding to this image thru a remaster as my nodes are booted in text mode. I have only used the openmosixterminal server. The terminal server should be the same .
Some of this how to is a merging of some other posts I have written. savin my fingers from my poor typin skills.

Upon booting hit F2 to give yourself time to type in cheat codes. Most machines can benefit from using them. Search the forum or post to get those answers.
I open a root shell(penguin lower left) and type:

knoppix-installer

We are interested in the first three choices. I do them in the following order.

3.Partition First:

QTparted is a linux version of Partition Magic for windows. Once its running your hard drives are on the left. Choose the one to work on by clicking-on-it. Your partitions are on the right. Right click your partitions to modify. It can even resize a partition without data loss. Don't try this one at home without a back-up. Swap for nodes: more nodes=more swap

A minimum install would be something like:

/hda1 bootable primary root 4 gigs
/hda2 primary nodes 600mb
/hda3 primary swap twice your physical ram minimum

1.Configure Installation:
Name,password,ect goes in here. Most of it is pretty easy. Installing to MBR works for me. One of the last choices is Knoppix style install or Debian. Debian style is more secure, thats my choice. Knoppix style should also work.

2.Start Installation: 15-20 minutes
Check your choices, before happily hitting the start button. It has saved me wasted time...

Before you reboot to your new install, lets copy the cd to the hard drive for the nodes to use. Make sure the partition has been changed to be writable in our example /hda2. Right click on the desk top icon. Mount then change read write mode.
It works to do this after you do the knoppix-installer, while still running the live Cd.

I like running the terminal server from the command line. There is alot more info available and you can see if it hangs somewhere. This next bit is a recycle from another post this should get either a live Cd or hard disk install running. There are some edits to reflect the new version of CK.
Make sure there are no other DHCP servers that are running on this network.
These defaults should work for most people of course change as you see fit. Run as root of course:

/etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalserver restart

or the openmosix version

/etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver restart

Things to do:

Set Static IP
Set-up and start knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver
Re-start OpenMosix
Set-up and monitor nodes/cluster

Here we go:

Set Static IP

Use DHCP broadcast -> No

Please enter IP Address ...

(change to) 192.168.0.254

OK

Please enter Network Mask ...

(default) 255.255.255.0

OK

Please enter Broadcast Address ...

(default)192.168.0.255

OK

Please enter Default Gateway

(default) 192.168.0.254

Please enter Nameservers

(default) 192.186.0.254

The terminal should close in a bit, let it do its work.

You can check your work by opening Knoppix Icon (penguin) -> Root Shell ->

ifconfig

Set-up and start knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver:

Information about the Knoppix Terminal Server -> OK

Setup (Re)configure server and restart -> OK

Choose network device connection->eth0 Netzwerkkarte_0 (default) -> OK

IP Address range for clients(default allows 50 IP address!) -> OK

Here is the new node file system option:

Access the static CDROM:

1. cdrom: If you just want to run the nodes from the cdrom. It will run slower than hard drive install.

2. disk: This would be your regular choice. For now we are going to do # 3.

3. new: create directory for export: OK

choose partition to install to takes about 5-10 minutes.

Client Hardware
You are being asked here info about the nic card in your client/node. This seems to be a show stopper for some people. For more info about your nodes ethernet drivers try booting the node open a terminal and search with:

lspci

or

cat dmesg |less

For my nodes it happens to be via-rhine.o "Via Rhine PCI Fast Ethernet driver" Make sure that you get an x in those boxes. This window seems a little flaky at times .

Options

secure -> leave checked unless there is a reason to have root access on all nodes.

textmode ->uncheck This is an important option (some of the magic imho). A complete copy of knoppix operating system will be available to all nodes. For the first few times its worth un-checking this box just to see your node boot-up into a gui, from a network boot. No cd or hardrive necessary.
For regular use if you are the only one using this cluster or only have one monitor or want to save the gui overhead cost on (all) your nodes. ->leave default a x mark in the box.
If you want to have a gui on the (all) nodes. -> uncheck the box

Leave the other check boxes alone for now.->ok

Client boot options(any options that the node might need knoppix cheat codes apply here).

I needed to add the following, your cheats may vary:

knoppix xmodule=vesa

Starting Server

Yes

Your screen output should look something like(this is from a hardrive install):

root@groove:/home/johnb# /etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver restart
Making Mini Rootdisk.
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
6144000 bytes transferred in 0.020725 seconds (296452034 bytes/sec)
Generating public/private dsa key pair.
Created directory '/root/.ssh'.
Your identification has been saved in /root/.ssh/id_dsa.
Your public key has been saved in /root/.ssh/id_dsa.pub.
The key fingerprint is:
f9:16:b2:51:0e:5e:5f:4f:35:3c:70:19:47:ee:78:ce root@groove
Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshdcp: cannot stat `/dev/systty': No such file or directory
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
6144000 bytes transferred in 1.109769 seconds (5536288 bytes/sec)
82.1%
Starting DHCP server: dhcpd3.
Starting portmap daemon: portmap.
Starting NFS common utilities: statd.
Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...done.
Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsd mountd.
Starting domain name service: named.

At this point we can reboot and set-up a desktop.

Your terminal will complain about /mfs not being set-up correctly when you do a (/etc/init.d/openmosix restart)
re-start of OpenMosix to check all is well: Skip if you dont want /mfs running.

/etc/init.d/openmosix restart

(if you are running Quantain it is /etc/init.d/quantian-openmosix restart ).

You should have similar output:

openMosix: Using map file /etc/openmosix.map
openMosix: WARN: Invalid configuration in map-file /etc/openmosix.map
openMosix: Falling back to autodiscovery mode using /usr/sbin/omdiscd
Stopping openMosix...
openMosix: All remote processes were expelled and no further remote processes accepted.
Initializing openMosix...
Local processes already allowed to leave automatically.
automatic load-balancing already enabled.
Remote processes now allowed in.

Heres how to get /mfs working.

mkdir /mfs

edit /etc/fstab from root shell

kate /etc/fstab

add the following line at the end hit return and save.

mfs /mfs mfs dfsa=1 0 0

Do the same with /etc/mtab

kate /etc/mtab

/mfs /mfs mfs rw,dfsa=1 0 0

We are almost ready to boot our nodes we just need to restart the terminal server and the turn on our nodes.

Same as before. Make sure to export partition. that should set-up the master. Try booting the nodes. Hopefully you will see that familiar screen of Knoppix.

To control the cluster:

openmosixview

Let me know how you make out.
johnb

js290
04-02-2004, 04:05 AM
Before you reboot to your new install, lets copy the cd to the hard drive for the nodes to use. Make sure the partition has been changed to be writable in our example /hda2. Right click on the desk top icon. Mount then change read write mode.
It works to do this after you do the knoppix-installer, while still running the live Cd.

Does it matter where the contents of the clusterKnoppix CD gets copied? Anywhere on the disk for now?

Here is the new node file system option:

Access the static CDROM:

1. cdrom: If you just want to run the nodes from the cdrom. It will run slower than hard drive install.

2. disk: This would be your regular choice. For now we are going to do # 3.

3. new: create directory for export: OK

choose partition to install to takes about 5-10 minutes.

Okay, this is where the 2004-02-16 image stops. If I do "/etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver restart", I get a "Usage for Xdialog" window that shows me how to use Xdialog. If I do it on console, it simply takes me back to the prompt. Any tips on how to get farther long?

johnb
04-02-2004, 08:25 PM
There isnt alot of choice in the matter. Just a choice of partitions to install to. It wants to be on a different partition than where your distro resides.

f I do "/etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver restart", I get a "Usage for Xdialog" window that shows me how to use Xdialog. If I do it on console, it simply takes me back to the prompt. Any tips on how to get farther long?

I have never seen this problem. Seems more of an X problem. Is your md5sum correct for your cd? Does this happen running live or from hard drive install?
johnb

A. Jorge Garcia
04-21-2004, 02:24 AM
I just tried clusterKNOPPIX and QUANTIAN for the first time. This is cool! I got it working on 4 PCs over my router at home and on a whole LAN in my classroom at school using CDs only.

I then ran knoppix-installer on a couple of PCs at school, but could not get the PCs to connect automatically from boot up as they did very well with CDs only. What gives?

TIA,
AJG

johnb
04-21-2004, 03:38 AM
can you set-up a cluster at school with cd's?
johnb

A. Jorge Garcia
04-21-2004, 04:14 AM
Yes, I had a cluster running with several QUANTAIN CDs. I'd like to have a more permanent hdinstall, however.

What I'd really like is to have 24 clients PXE boot off one server. This server I can access via ssh from anywhere in the school and from home (static ip). It'd really be something to be able to access a cluster from home! I can't get PXE working either....

TIA,
AJG

johnb
04-21-2004, 04:37 AM
Please check your other post
johnb

A. Jorge Garcia
04-30-2004, 08:20 PM
OK, finally I had a chance to play with this! I knoppix-installered 4 PCs on my LAN with QUANTIAN. After fixing lilo and netcardconfig like any ordinary knoppix hdinstall, I took the following steps (thanx to johnb) w/o PXE.

mkdir /mfs
kate /etc/fstab
(added: mfs /mfs mfs dfsa=1 0 0)
kate /etc/mtab
(added: /mfs /mfs mfs rw,dfsa=1 0 0)

All went well when I tried stressing this little cluster with kandel (using openmosixview to see what was going on). The only problem is that I have to issue the commandline /etc/init.d/openmosix restart from a root shell anytime I reboot. Is there a way to have this all start-up at boot up?

TIA,
AJG

js290
05-03-2004, 05:16 AM
Does this happen running live or from hard drive install?
johnb

This happens after the hard drive installation and during the openmosix terminalserver configuration.

I tried the steps you described using just regular Knoppix and didn't get any of the errors I encountered with clusterKnoppix.

The only complaint I have is the instructions on coping the CD contents to the seperate partition could be a bit more clear. I wasn't able to do it with the GUI, so I ended up rsyncing the contents of the CD on to the seperate directory.

I also wasn't asked by the terminalserver setup process to configure exporting the filesystem that the CDROM contents were copied to. I manually configured this without much problems. The script defaults to /cdrom. I mounted my that partition as /knoppix. I had to modify the /usr/sbin/knoppix-terminalserver script and the /etc/fstab and /etc/exports accordingly.

rex
05-12-2004, 03:53 AM
so...
is ltsp also installed in cluster knoppix?
is there a stripped down version so it can run smoothly on older computer?

Lidio Mozi
05-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Hi js290.

I have been fighting with LSTP these last weeks, and I succeded to get terminal server running only copying KNOPPIX image into /cdrom :(
My target is to copy there only the contents (so that I could remaster it chrooting onto /cdrom) and then get the terminal server running as well as in image case.

Could you please post your changes to "configure exporting the filesystem that the CDROM contents were copied to".

I understood they should be:
- /usr/sbin/knoppix-terminalserver script
- /etc/fstab;
- /etc/exports.

Better could be a mini how-to.

Thanks in advance for any possible help.

rex
05-17-2004, 12:35 PM
these are few links that may help:
http://www.k12ltsp.org/ltsp-om5.html
http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/ltsp-omr4-1.html
http://ltsp.org/contrib/ltsp-om5r3c.html
http://www.lpmo.edu/~daniau/ltsp-mosix/
http://bccd.cs.uni.edu/

Super-t
05-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Hil,
I hope someone can help with this...
I am testing clusterknoppix 3.4 (5/10) on vmware v4.5.1.
I have created one "master" and one "slave" vm nodes and installed clusterknoppix to the virtual HDD on the master.
I have set this pair up according to the excellent help posted here by johnb.
This seems to work, but sometimes when I execute openmosixview, it gives the error;
openmosix not started

Even though I just started it and the openmosix term server with

Also, is there a way to save the setting for knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver script so I don't have to go thru the setup everytime. I have clusterKnoppix installed to the HDD of the virtual machine.

Any help or suggestions appreciated!!

Cheers!

A. Jorge Garcia
05-27-2004, 08:00 PM
I put /etc/init.d/openmosix restart in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and it works fine!

Good Luck,
AJG

j.drake
05-28-2004, 03:40 PM
I put /etc/init.d/openmosix restart in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and it works fine!

With PXE, or without (I couldn't tell where your success was)?

JD

A. Jorge Garcia
05-28-2004, 07:37 PM
I haven't used PXE, sorry.

BTW, I also put /etc/init.d/ssh start in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh when using QUANTIAN as QUANTIAN doesn't start ssh automatically at boot-up like clusterKNOPPIX does.

Regards,
AJG

knopp
06-17-2004, 08:18 PM
ClusterKnoppix is seriously cool, and runs beautifully for me with PXE. It even detects and loads my persistent home dirs on each node if I configure it with the boot option "home=scan". Very nice to have all my KDE preferences and Live-Installer and Klik programs available so automagically.

I'd like to use this as my main Knoppix version. But does anyone know why OpenOffice.org was removed? I really need it (unlike the other stuff that was removed), and since the clusterKnoppix ISO is only 554MB, and the OOo GNU/Linux download is only 75MB, there would appear to be room for OOo on a 700MB clusterKnoppix CDR(W). (I don't quite have the resources to remaster it myself and put OOo back in, if that's even possible.)

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

quentusrex
10-19-2004, 03:34 PM
OK, please help... This error is killing me.... I am trying to create a cluster with clusterknoppix as the master and CHAOS as the drones. from many websites it says that for clusterknoppix you should follow these commands:

su
tyd -f init
tyd

well, I'm having massive problems here....

Ty-d: crypt type IPSEC will be used.
Ty-d: This default gateway will be used [192.168.0.1]
Ty-d: Unable to initialise openMosix (Try "setpe -off"). Exiting.

running setpe -off doesn't seem like the right thing to do, but it gives:
openMosix configuration disabled.

And then tyd:
Ty-d: crypt type IPSEC will be used.
Ty-d: This default gateway will be used [192.168.0.1]
openMosix configuration changed: This is openMosix #107 (of 1 configured)
openMosix #107 is at IP address 192.168.0.107
Ty-d: critical error network bind failure in phillip.

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

emmbec
11-15-2004, 04:29 AM
Hi, I set a static IP in the server (HD installed) and the cluster worked fine (two PC), but I connected the two computers using a cross cable, and now I am using a router, which has internet connection, i connect other computers on the router and the nodes seem to be talking to each other fine, but the server machine doesn't have internet acces. Is there a way to have internet acces on the server, I connect through a DSL connection, which is configured on the router(Change the IP to dynamic and still have the nodes talking to each other?). Thanks

A. Jorge Garcia
11-16-2004, 01:10 AM
I don't use bootmisc.sh anymore to start up ssh. I use update-rc.d ssh defaults! I only need to do this once during the hd-install process after editting /etc/lilo.conf and running netcardconfig.

Regards,
AJG

Harry Kuhman
11-16-2004, 01:25 AM
Hi, I set a static IP in the server (HD installed)....s. Is there a way to have internet acces on the server, I connect through a DSL connection, which is configured on the router(Change the IP to dynamic and still have the nodes talking to each other?). Thanks
As long as the "server" is on the same sub-net (for most routers that's when the first three numbers in the IP address match when the mask is 255.255.255.0) and it's properly configured to use the router as the gateway, it should have Internet access, regardless of using DHCP or using a static IP address. You might want to post the information on the router, the ifconfig information for a machine that does work, and the ifconfig information for the "server" that doesn't seem to have Internet access.

emmbec
11-24-2004, 06:45 PM
That was the problem, i forgot to set up my router as gateway, thanks.

A. Jorge Garcia
11-26-2004, 05:01 PM
BTW, anyone know how to set-up an ftp server quickly? Isn't there a command like update-rc.d ssh defaults for ftp too? I fogot it!

Thanx,
AJG

emmbec
11-26-2004, 05:15 PM
There is one

apt-get install proftpd

Easy to install and setup, although its not Secure FTP

A. Jorge Garcia
11-26-2004, 09:32 PM
I use ssh and sftp and fish all the time.

However, I recently got into DamnSmallLinux (DSL) and it uses an old style ftp client. I'd like to access some of my files on a KNOPPIX server I have set-up at school while using DSL on the road.

Doesn,'t KNOPPIX have an ftp server built-in?

TIA,
AJG

plener
12-06-2004, 03:39 PM
knowledge on the level of the sorceres apprentice--newbee
have done lots of reading and homework on usiing clusterknoppic--found lots of confusing information
cthuling worse
not found any howtos to install
read tons of stuff on openmosix site
keep in mind that my goal is to see how simple it is to do

i would like to start a thread on getting it up and running

1. have 1 machine to be server dell poweredge 2300 518 megs memory tons of hd space dual pentium 2 400ghrtz
server has cable ports ( i assume are for networking--very new to this, manual somewhat confusing)
i have put a cat 5 cable into one of them and then into a hub--power light is on on the hub --no leds on poweredge.
placed clusterknoppix in cd and booted up
as expected no problems whatsoever.

2. second machine pentium 3 2.4 meghertz, 518 megs memory tons of disk space.
has a nic port on mother board--i have set the bios so it can boot from this port -- manual says it can boot from ethernet port
cat 5 cable from this port to hub

3. now what do i do?--server is running clusterknoppix off of cd other machine is not on

i really appreciate any help on this

johnb
12-17-2004, 08:04 AM
The easy answer is burn another cd and boot it. Avoid the pxe/boot hassle.

Here are some general hints to get you to a pxe boot

On my computer, there are at least 4 places that need to be enabled in the bios to enable a network boot.
LAN,CDROM,HDRIVE is the boot order I use.

If you have a pci network card there is a small 3 pin cable that needs to connect to the motherboard in order to Wake on LAN and or NETWORK BOOT.
Also these should be enabled in the bios.

Run "/etc/init.d/openmosix restart" from a shell as root. Check for openmosix errors.
You will need to create /mfs and edit /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab for a hardrive install. Copy the proper mfs entry's from a live running cd.

Run /etc/init.d/terminalopenmosix restart from a terminal you will get a lot more info about what is happening.
You can mostly accept the given defaults.
Make sure you choose the right network module for the nodes.
pass any necesaary cheat codes to the nodes. My nodes need" xmodule=vesa" even running without a gui.
If all is well boot your node and you should see a knoppix start-up screen on your node.
johnb

Joaquin Ferrero
01-24-2005, 09:25 PM
After johnb minihowto (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2461&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50),

edit the script /etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver:

edit the line 333:
cp -a /dev/{null,zero,console,cloop,hd*,sd*,init*,kmem,fd*,lo op*,mem,ram*,*random,pts,psaux,ptmx,std*,systty,sn dstat,tty,tty[0-9]*} "${MINIROOT}/dev/"
to
cp -a /dev/{null,zero,console,cloop*,hd*,sd*,init*,kmem,fd*,l oop*,mem,ram*,*random,pts,psaux,ptmx,std*,systty,s ndstat,tty,tty[0-9]*} "${MINIROOT}/dev/"

(yes: only a '*' :-) )

The problem: terminalopenmosixserver dont copy cloop0 device into miniroot. After node restart, cloop try link the nfs export dir to local /dev/cloop0, but this point dont exist.
And mount dont find the root filesystem...

locutus
01-27-2005, 11:56 PM
knowledge on the level of the sorceres apprentice--newbee
have done lots of reading and homework on usiing clusterknoppic--found lots of confusing information
cthuling worse
not found any howtos to install
read tons of stuff on openmosix site
keep in mind that my goal is to see how simple it is to do

i would like to start a thread on getting it up and running

[clipped to save space]

3. now what do i do?--server is running clusterknoppix off of cd other machine is not on

i really appreciate any help on this

For one, you should start the cluster-terminalServer so your 2nd computer finds something on the network to boot. You'll find that utility off of the Knoppix menu item under Services( IIRC ). Once you start the cluster-terminalServer, your server will now be ready to send out the ClusterKnoppix image to any machine on your network which is looking for a PXE boot server.

FWIW, here's a link to and IBM article on using and older version of ClusterKnoppix on systems with CDROMS. Informative for the newbie:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-clustknop.html

A. Jorge Garcia
01-28-2005, 02:18 AM
Is there no way to get a terminal server running with a knoppix-installed system? It seems all the howtos on here use a liveCD or a poor man's KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX image only for PXE to work....

BTW, is there to be a clusterKNOPPIX 3.7????

Regards,
AJG

johnb
02-24-2005, 03:48 AM
The terminal server works fine as a hard drive install now. Thanks Joaquin for that "*".
You need 3 partitions for it to work:
1. hda1 normal knoppix-installer routine
2. hda2 This is the NFS mount for nodes. I do this as live-cd running the terminal server script. Make sure hda2 is mounted/writable.
3.Swap File

I assume there will be a CK-3.7. Seems to me computers will only be more inter-connected as processors become hotter/expensive.
johnb

A. Jorge Garcia
03-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Last year, around this time, I had my students investigate how to program a cluster so we installed QUANTIAN to the hd and set-up mfs on our LAN (25 Dell Optiplexs with PIV and 750MB RAM on fastETHERNET). We got demos like KANDEL and POVRAY to work, but we didn't have much success coding our own apps as we were trying to migrate JVMs (we had been studying OOP in java).

This year I'm considering hd installing ClusterKNOPPIX instead with mfs. Then we could use OOP in C++ and the fork() method to take advantage of the openMOSIX kernel. Anyone have success writing their own code like this?

I suppose there's always PVM or MPI and C....

Any idea if there will be a ClusterKNOPPIX 3.7 or 3.8?

Thanx,
AJG

bradzo
04-12-2005, 09:12 AM
You know what I'd really like to see?

Somw way of having a bunch of Knoppix boxes all running the open-source Firebird database server and working together to return result sets for other clients.

I have an application, talking to a Firebird server on my Windows box, that, because of my database design (an experimental design where "Customers" for example do not have their own customers table, rather a generic "attr_values" table, where each attribute (first name, last name etc) are stored as separate rows in this attr_values table........ yes, you might think that's really bodgy, but wow - it works great.)) tends to slow down a bit.

Anyway, the more rows I put into it, the *slightly* slower it takes to return records (using stored procedures to return a soert of cross-tab result set) and I was thinking that it'd be really good if several Firebird instances could get together and return records......... instead of just a single instance.

Firebird has a few good replicators, so this could really work. The Firebird people are looking at "clusters" for the version 3 release of Firebird (called Vulcan) but I thought I'd post this just to stir up some comments!

My thinking, in the interim, would be to have one Knoppix node acting as a co-ordinator - it receives connections from clients and passes those queries onto the first available Firebird node (running on another Knoppix box)..... it would get the results back and pass them back to the client. So basically, client A could ask for a recordset, and be served from database server node B. Client B could ask for another recordset, and be served from database server node C, instead of a single Firebird instance having to respond to and serve multiple clients.

Does this sound feasible?

Thanks - and my apologies if this is in the wrong forum....

Regards

Brad
Knoppix Newbie
http://phoenixsoftware.dyndns.biz/

dundas
08-09-2005, 12:16 PM

Good Luck,
AJG

hi Jorge, do u mean to use this for the DVD booting master node, or for the HDD installed master node?

thx

dundas
08-09-2005, 12:26 PM

Good Luck,
AJG

hi Jorge, do u mean to use this for the DVD booting master node, or for the HDD installed master node?

thx

A. Jorge Garcia
08-09-2005, 09:54 PM
I think I posted that in the pre klik and unionfs days!

So, that would be on an hdinstall.

Regards,
AJG

dundas
08-10-2005, 03:35 AM
Got that, thx Jorge! I will try that as soon as my HDD got some space.