PDA

View Full Version : Dell web-pc modem

stephenlund
08-02-2006, 03:07 PM
For a few dollars I got a Dell Web-pc...apparently a mini pc with no floppy drive, but with cd, 3-usb ports (no serial, ps2, or printer ports) an ethernet port , and phone line in and phone out (I guess for the built in modem) but no way to add other cards to the thing.

It also had no OS though I guess it came originally with Win98? No big deal......I really prefer either Knoppix (I have a few different disks from 3.7 to 4.0) or Damm Small Linux.

Either of them boot up nicely but I can't seem to find the modem.......can find that its some kind of 3-Comm mini pci thing but what to do from there?

So might the solution be to use a usb modem? I was going to use this device at home where I only have dial-up service.
I also have an external modem (that would connect to a serial port) that should work....would one of those USB to serial adapters work out....and if connected, would one look at usb modem or serial modem?

OErjan
08-02-2006, 11:11 PM
I have used thse usbtoserial things for modems, it works, getting a USB modem to work is harder than a PCI modem imho.