PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 5.+ won't see external hardware modem but 4.0 would

grasshopper
08-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Knoppix 4.0 would see it no problem but I loaded 5.+ and it will not see it at all.
I go to Query the modem in KPPP and it just says "unable to open modem" or words to that effect.

Modem is USR V.92 Hardware controller modem connected via serial cable on com 1....probably the most compatable modem
known to mankind. Mobo is ASRock P4VM800, 256megs ram, pentium 4.

Any suggestions?

I have also had this problem with Fox Desktop, Kubuntu and Slax all running KDE. However I should say most
distros of linux see my modem just fine.

Thanks in Advance

CytoTech
08-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi there fellow modem user, I'm also having the same woes with Distros that have KDE 3.5.x (yeah, tried almost all of the new distros). the only luck i had with my internet connection is the pppconfig utility in the terminal.

1) run pppconfig until it tries to autodetect your modem and save your configuration
2) after exiting pppconfig, type in the terminal:

pon <your pppconfig saved configuration>

... and it should be able to connect

So far that's my workaround, i'm still wondering what else is a possible solution to our modem detection issues. KPPP is more useful for me since i also have to connect to our company's dialup and our password changes every minute, and Kppp seems to be the only answer to that. whew! what a lyf,...

CytoTech
08-07-2006, 05:40 PM
ei grasshopper, i got some good news, kppp worked with my modem now, by accident, i tried to tinker around knoppix...

I clicked on the penguin beside the K menu (Knoppix menu) ---->>> network/internet --->>> /dev/modem connection setup...
Select type of connection --->>> serial (OK) --->>> ttyS* (OK) ---->>> Yes

After that, i tried to check modem connection with KPPP again (using /dev/modem), and pooof!!! modem has been detected and i was able to connect my way... i wonder how to use this script/utility on the other distros with the new KDE installed. :P

Good luck and happy knoppix-ing....

update: the utility used i believe is ModemLink... i wish this is available in other distros that we're having problems with...

malaire
08-08-2006, 09:37 AM
update: the utility used i believe is ModemLink... i wish this is available in other distros that we're having problems with...

modemlink is installed to /usr/sbin/modemlink and is Knoppix-specific bash-script created by Klaus Knopper.

So its not available to other distros, but it might be possible to get that script working on other distros. I don't know how much work that would need.

CytoTech
08-08-2006, 03:52 PM
I wish Klaus Knopper a very prosperous life! All hail Klaus for making noobs and dialup users' linux life a bit more easier!
Anyway, I'd still wish for a DSL life... i had to sit all day/night just to get my apt-get repository list updated to be able to install stuff and games to add spice to my knoppix... maybe when i go DSL, i dont have to worry about having all the updates necessary bec it'll all be faster updating

CytoTech
08-09-2006, 09:25 AM
quick question though, does modemlink have a configuration file that it saves? coz i have to run it every reboot...