PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 5.0.1 USB mouse non-functional...

Drake1132
08-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Just yesterday I picked up a copy of Knoppix 5.0.1 to upgrade from my old version 4. This morning I burned the ISO image to CD and booted up from it, but I have no mouse functionality on my Logitech MX 1000 Laser USB wireless mouse. Knoppix 4 has never had any trouble with finding and properly configuring this mouse. Windows, and SuSE 9.3 pro have never had any problems with this mouse. So why is it that all of a sudden, a NEW version of Knoppix seems to have WORSE hardware detection rather than better?

When I boot to Knoppix, everything seems to go smoothly. But when X and KDE start up, I have a mouse cursor, but it doesn't move at all, it is simply stuck in the middle of the screen. Despite the fact that this is a usb mouse and not a ps/2 mouse, I tried the pci=irqmask=0x0e98 boot parameter trick, to no avail. I booted to run-level 2 (text-only mode) and ran lspci and it does show my usb controllers as being present and configured, and it seems to be reporting them correctly. I ran lsusb and reports NOTHING AT ALL, it simply gives me back my command prompt. During the boot proccess, it says "USB Found, managed by udev. Firewire Found, managed by udev." Then it starts udev hot-plug hardware detection, which gives me three dots ("...") for a good long while, the says "Started" in blue, but does not say "Done" in green or similar as other things do during the boot process (this may be normal, I don't know).

All of this may be totally irrelevant anyway... I only use Knoppix as a system rescue and drive setup utility. I want something with partimage included, and I know Knoppix used to have partimage packaged with it, but I haven't been able to find it on version 4 and I don't know if it is included or not in this version. Everything else I use Knoppix for I have with version 4 which does find my mouse without trouble, so if 4 has partimage, or if neither 4 nor 5 has it, then I don't really need 5 so I'm not terribly concerned.

So here's my deal then... Does Knoppix 4 have partimage included with it? If so, how do I access it and use it? If not, does Knoppix 5 have it? If so, how can I get my mouse to work, and how can I access and use partimage? If not, then I'll pick up SystemRecueCD from www.sysresccd.org

Thanks for any info/help,
Drake

Drake1132
08-07-2006, 10:31 AM
I noticed that version 4 uses "hotplug" to manage usb and firewire devices and connections, rather than "udev"... Is there a way to force Knoppix 5 to use hotplug instead of udev, since hotplug worked with my mouse and udev seems not to?

Drake

jugg
09-06-2006, 10:12 PM
I noticed that version 4 uses "hotplug" to manage usb and firewire devices and connections, rather than "udev"... Is there a way to force Knoppix 5 to use hotplug instead of udev, since hotplug worked with my mouse and udev seems not to?

Drake

Yah, I have the same problem with 5. udev doesn't correctly detect my usb mouse. (RazerPro 1.6) Hotplug from the previous versions worked fine. udev also takes a crazy long time to load.

I'm on knoppix-4 right now, and typed in "partimage" from the console and it loaded up just fine.

Ciranus
09-15-2006, 08:58 PM
I am afraid the problem in not only with USB mouse.
Just tried Knoppix 5 live CD, and my PS/2 mouse doesn't move the cursor at all.

Never seen this with previous Knoppix releases, or any linux distrib.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
!! EDIT !! PS/2 mouse problem solved;
Some boot options of previous Knoppix releases not compatible anymore with Knoppix 5.0.