PDA

View Full Version : HDD install under VMWare

mors
08-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Hi, has anybody tried a hdd install of knoppix under VMware on a XP host. Before anyone tells me it's backwards doing it as Knoppix is a live distro and I might aswell just run the cd - I know.

My workplace will allow me VMware, but not to have linux as my default OS, so I'd rather install Knoppix this way so I can use it and install apps etc.

I've tried the knoppix-installer and all 'seems' to go well, I use 8gb, 7 for tor the OS and 1 for the swap during partitioning, and save grub to the partition not the mbr.

When the install is complete, and I reboot under VMware, and set the bios to boot for the virtuall hdd firstt, the system (virtual) just keeps restarting itself - It wont boot into Knoppix.

It will boot off the cd again no problem, just not the hdd.

Has anyone successfully tried and got working this setup - A knoppix INSTALLED guest under a XP host?

I love knoppix and run it at home, but this is doing my head in. Any ideas??

TIA

Mors

*EDIT*

Just thought, how can I install Reiser/Ext3 to an existing NTFS file system?? I then delete the VMware host at a later date, wont I be left with a great big chunk of a corrupt file system that XP cant read/write to?

ockham23
08-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Actually, Knoppix 5.0.1 works fine with VMware Workstation 5.5 for windows. But you have to install grub in MBR, not partition.

mors
08-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the reply Ockham :) But will installing grub to the mbr not ruin the hard drive? I thought you were only to install bootloaders to the partition when installing linux clients under VMware??I cant risk ruining my work machine :( Does your laptop/pc still boot without grub when you power it on after you did a mbr install?

Mors

ockham23
08-08-2006, 06:44 PM
By default, VMware will create a virtual hard drive for the virtual Knoppix machine. The virtual hard drive will be stored in an image file, so what I recommended is entirely safe. Although it's possible, you should not allow a virtual machine to write to a physical hard drive.

Even after installation, you may run into some problems updating the virtual machine because Knoppix isn't designed for hd installation. If you're looking for an installable distribution, download Kanotix, my personal choice.

linuxchica
08-09-2006, 03:30 PM
So glad I'm not the only one attempting a knoppix hd install w/ VMWare.

Has anyone tried this with Slackware as the host OS?

Mors: How did it go?

mors
08-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Ockham/linuxchica - Thanks a lot! Installing grub to the MBR worked. Knoppix now boots fine from the hdd :)

linuxchica - I just took all the default settings off the knoppix-installer, having a 1gb swap and 7gb main partition, and took the debian like setup as opposed the the knoppix beginner one. The only thing I'd warn you about is trying to install VMware tools - I'm having a right bloody game with it!! Cant get it installed at the moment but I'm sure I'll work it out. VMware tools isn't a must for guest systems, but it is handy.

Mors

linuxchica
08-11-2006, 06:57 PM
VMWare Tools. The whole virtualization process has been rough thus far. I'm certain that it is just a get it together and it'll be fine and stable kind of thing.
I'm creating an XP guest machine as I type.

I'm also starting to question whether or not it's just worth using debian. (I'll admit, it's one distro I don't think I've installed yet.)

Also, you have your guest machine up and running before you try to install VMWare tools, right? It's a must.