PDA

View Full Version : Using AVM Fritz!PCI V1.0/V2.0 with Knoppix 5.0.1(is working)

sven_m2k
08-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Since I had quite a hard time to figure out and actually just wanted to scan a winxp system connected to the net via ISDN and AVM Fritz!PCI V1.0/V2.0 with Knoppix 5.0.1 - it is working.

As I only used ISDN under Windows I am not sure if I everything explain right, but like I used to "install driver, configure ISP and dial in" I realized under Knoppix it wouldn't be that easy. I used the german Knoppix 5.0.1 CD (therefore english menu translations maybe inaccurate). PC was a Medion Pentium 4 system with 1 GB or so RAM and Nvidia gfx + the ISDN card.

boot Knoppix and successful run X
menu KNOPPIX -> Network / Internet -> ISDN-card configure (Knoppix)
select "ISDN -Settings View/Edit" + OK
select "Hardware" + OK, select "AVM Fritz! PCI V1.0/V2.0" + OK, leave the modprobe line untouched + OK, wait for "initialising" (whatever it is showing in %, I never saw 100% though it worked)
fill in the other fields (self-explaining)
at last select "Setup save/activate" + OK
if you get a message from the ISDN-Tool like "The ISDN subsystem isn't initialized yet ..." then go through the step hardware again, otherwise it should say something like "The ISDN subsystem is initialized. ..."
you get back to the previous menu, select "Connect" + OK
in the line "Online status" in brackets should be shown something like "ippp0" or similar, if "offline, no driver loaded" then something is wrong here already
select "ISDN-Subsystem run/start" + OK and wait some seconds
select "Show online status" + OK, it opens Imon in a terminal window
if you see 2 channels (offline) everything is ok - if you see "No channels found!" then hardware config maybe wrong
open another terminal session and type "sudo /etc/init.d/isdnutils start" + ENTER, should only print "Starting ISDN services ..." (this step is actually already done but I make it to go safe), if you see error messages like "Can't open ..." then something again is wrong
to try dialing your isp type "isdnctrl dial ippp0", one channel in the Imon window should get online / busy
if it gets only for a second a connection then telephone number or isp data could be wrong, need to edit
try to go online with Firefox, you should get an internet connection
or download f-prot and let do its job

My experience is that if the ISDN subsystem is properly initalized the applications "itself" dial in, I used "isdnctrl dial ippp0" just for checking the connection. If there is more bandwith needed even the 2nd channel gets automatically opened (and closed), really nice. Since I am new to Linux/Knoppix this behaviour is quite new to me: I do not see any graphical feedback if the ISDN is working properly "under the hood".

Sven