PDA

View Full Version : Boot CD and cheatcodes

soldstatic
08-08-2006, 05:02 PM
I haven't tried knoppix yet, but am an avid gentoo user. Although I am fairly new to linux (only been using it for like 3 months). Anyway, buddy of mine's laptop harddrive jacked up so planning to use live CD to mount the harddrive and a usb flash drive and copy some files over then fix her laptop, but:

how can make a live CD with some cheat codes already on it? Might not have internet when we work on the computer and even if we do i might not have another computer to look up the cheat codes with, so how can i get the cd to boot w/ certain stuff already set on it?

Mostly im afraid of getting over there and booting to knoppix in german and not remembering the cheat code to get english... I know its silly... but... :-/

malaire
08-09-2006, 02:34 PM
how can make a live CD with some cheat codes already on it? Might not have internet when we work on the computer and even if we do i might not have another computer to look up the cheat codes with, so how can i get the cd to boot w/ certain stuff already set on it?

To do that, you'd need to edit the boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg file on the CD/DVD and add the boot-codes there.
(I wouldn't recommend this to a newbie.)

Mostly im afraid of getting over there and booting to knoppix in german and not remembering the cheat code to get english... I know its silly... but... :-/

If you are only conserned about that, then get the CD/DVD with 'EN' in its filename, so you'll get english version.
Also, when starting Knoppix, you can use F2 and F3 to see some of the boot-codes.
Also, you could just print the boot-codes list instead of creating a new CD (e.g. KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt on the CD)

soldstatic
08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
yea,,,, a printer,,, that sounds... like a good idea.... lol

i never think of printing something,,, i always want to do some other way usually email instead of print and take somewhere, and usually im dealing with files not just docs... i wonder if "printing" will ever get out-dated.

"back in my day we had to print documents out on really thin sheets of paper."