PDA

View Full Version : poor man install win partition version on a hp pavillon 1000

l4voiefr
08-10-2006, 07:17 AM
:D I am not very familiar with linux, but I have been following from the corner of the eye the development of the linux (unix) family for years (Trying knoppix, ubuntu, red hat, mandrake freebsd but with very few success exept with linux on desktop). I am on the verge of turning knoppix(fed up with window and the money racket of antispyware and antivirux and antieverything software needed, that in addition slow the machine), but I would like to work with it a little before doing the move. And I want to use knoppix on dual-boot on my new linux supposedly compatible laptop with its wifi capabilities at work.

My laptop boots on with the knoppix cd 5.0.1, but I was not able to do the poor man install (PMI) win partition version on the laptop. I however achieved to do the PMI on my desktop a year ago, but only with the knoppix 3.6 version (surprisingly the 3.7 version is not working). In the instructions provided at the Win Partition PMI link( http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition ) there are the complete instructions and program files for knoppix version 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8.1, however none did work for me and the laptop, and not even modifications that I tried to adapt it to the 5.0.1 version. I would appreciate very much to make it work. The new knoppix 5.0.1 seems very interesting ant the laptop is actually very convenient for me.