PDA

View Full Version : saving preferences

boehmb
01-02-2003, 02:26 AM
I attempted to save my preferences to floppy, which Knoppix did, and load them at startup with the "knoppix floppyconf" command. It mounts the floppy at startup and seems to read from it, but no preferences are present when Knoppix starts. Is there another step needed?

Thank you!

Loper
01-02-2003, 02:36 AM
<snip>
I attempted to save my preferences to floppy... load them at startup with the "knoppix floppyconf"
</snip>

The correct syntax is "knoppix floppyconfig" -- I have found that it DOES make a difference -- look at the [F2] options, and see for yourself.

boehmb
01-02-2003, 03:18 AM
I used both syntaxes: "knoppix floppyconf" and knoppix floppyconfig" and both don't seem to work. If you check off all 5 options in the saving preferences to floppy box, what is it actually saving?

boehmb
01-02-2003, 03:34 AM
Never mind. It works beautifully now! Thanks again.

knopken
01-02-2003, 04:16 AM
What did you do differently to get your config to work? I've tried everthing, can't get it to work...

01-02-2003, 04:35 AM
Click the "K" menu, go the "KNOPPIX"->CONFIGURE->SAVE KNOPPIX CONFIGURATION. All radio buttons should be depressed, that is, shaded to select all options (5 total), click OK, insert a blank DOS formatted floppy and click enter. A progress bar will show that Knoppix is copying the configuration files.

Shut down Knoppix and restart (after of course making some changes to the default Knoppix, like Mozilla mail settings, background wallpaper, printer setup or whatever). At the prompt, type "knoppix floppyconfig" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Watch the startup text, you will see a line referencing reading from the floppy. There will be a few seconds of techno music after the KDE desktop gets underway and it should work.

Good luck (I'm a newbie, too)!

knopken
01-02-2003, 05:30 AM
I've tried that with exception to checking all five boxes, which i did and and now boot to a black screen :?: (another issue which I thought I had resolved). If i boot with 'knoppix xvrefresh=60' i'm ok except screen is of centered. How to combine the two???

If I seem green, it's the New Year's champagne :roll:

knopken
01-09-2003, 05:51 AM
A little help, please. I'm sure I'm saving and booting the config file correctly - still won't load any saved preferences :evil:. The floppy shows proper files. Is there an alternative to using GUI Knoppix>save config??

I've booted with knoppix vrefresh=60 knoppix floppy config and have tried all various combinations.
Thanks.

RockMumbles
01-09-2003, 06:31 AM
During the boot process is knoppix reading from your floppy?

<snip>
knoppix vrefresh=60 knoppix floppy config
</snip>

instead try:

knoppix vrefresh=60 floppyconfig

Note: floppyconfig is one word. As far as the boot commands, knoppix tells the boot manager which kernel to boot (only list it once), the boot options are listed after that, the order of the boot options shouldn't matter.

HTH

rock

Rixel
01-09-2003, 06:33 AM
I believe I have had the same problem. The issue is that the refresh rate does not seem to be used after setting in kde. You can try with the boot arg:

knoppix floppyconfig xvrefresh=60

that may work. For me, I just modified the syslinux.cfg to add those to the default. Can't remember if there was a specific order that I had to put them in. try both ways.

knopken
01-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Thnx for replies!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.>>>
During the boot process is knoppix reading from your floppy?

<snip>
knoppix vrefresh=60 knoppix floppy config
</snip>

instead try:

knoppix vrefresh=60 floppyconfig

Note: floppyconfig is one word. As far as the boot commands, knoppix tells the boot manager which kernel to boot (only list it once), the boot options are listed after that, the order of the boot options shouldn't matter.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Ya'vule, floppy is read and I've tried almost every combination of boot command. Sometimes I'll boot to black screen (can hear initializiation babe 8) ) otherwise when I load I'll get a screenshot with no saved configuration. Boot screen shows floppy being mounted :wink: , but I'm always startin' fresh??????????? (ie: no saved config)

Any more help???

Trollo
01-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Had the same problem for a long time. Tried everything without any success.

I found the following solution:

If there is any empty field in the network configuration (i.e. DHCP-Broadcast, DNS-Server - if you don't have any), the configuration file from the floppy is not executed at all. You can see a message during booting.

Therefore nothing (!) is configured after that. No network, no printer etc.

Make sure that all fields in the network configuration are filled (may be with the default values) and voilą the configuration file from the floppy is executed properly. That is how it works for me (thanks god).

May be it helps others, too.

regards
Trollo

apoth
01-26-2003, 11:53 PM
I have to configure everything differently from the defaults in my network configuration and that didn't help me unfortunately :(

...I'm running round the desktop now making configuration changes to everything in the hope I trip something that will make it read the file on the disk (which it says it can't find on bootup... but it's definately there).

apoth
01-27-2003, 12:18 AM
Oooh... the other thing I was gonna add was /mnt/floppy/knoppix.sh restores my preferences, at least as far as keyboard and network ones go - so (assumming knoppix floppyconfig is the right command)... what's wrong with it! :(

(the reason I'd like it to work further than this on bootup is for things like desktop icons which it doesn't change when run whilst in the OS, otherwise i'd be happy with this)

01-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Any suggestions? I recommended knoppix to people on a forum I use regularly and everyone seems to be stuck with this.

jim worrest
01-29-2003, 06:55 AM
I have one computer which Knoppix works quite well, but it didn't at first. All I got was a
blank screen until I reduced the resolution to 800x600. the floppyconfig seems to remember
most everything --- except my floppy icon! I usually tell it to store the settings before I sign off
and then don't save them at the very end when it asks or has the checkmark to save the
settings, perhaps that was my problem in loosing the floppy icon?
Anyway, so far it has been doing some things for me that my older versions of Linux won't
so I'm glad that Knoppix is around.

Any suggestions? I recommended knoppix to people on a forum I use regularly and everyone seems to be stuck with this.

another guest
01-30-2003, 02:55 AM

I'm a seriously green newbie at this, myself. After less than a week of playing with Knoppix (1.20.03 release), it appears to me that the floppy configuration is used only when I turn off hardware detection. This works for me:

knoppix floppyconfig failsafe

It also works when using persistent home.

babs
06-03-2003, 08:40 PM
A little help, please. I'm sure I'm saving and booting the config file correctly - still won't load any saved preferences :evil:. The floppy shows proper files. Is there an alternative to using GUI Knoppix>save config??

I've booted with knoppix vrefresh=60 knoppix floppy config and have tried all various combinations.
Thanks.

I'm embarrassed to say the simple mistake I made but I misread the check boxes. (the ones that show up after you click save configuration) I thought I had all of them checked, when in reality I had all of them un-checked! Don't know if anyone else has done this but it solved my problem, perhaps it will help someone else.