PDA

View Full Version : Asus P5B mobo.

MrGreen
08-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi,

Just got a new pc .... based on asus P5B deluxe mobo

Booting Knoppix livecd I get dropped in to reduced shell ;-(

The ide channel on board is of a jmicron type which I do not think is supported under linux

From what I have read I may need ide-generic module (but could be wrong!)

Anyone else got this type of mobo & can they run knoppix?

TIA

MrGreen

sczj
08-16-2006, 03:02 AM
I got a Asus P5W DH mobo and I am getting the same issue.
I am using Knoppix 3.3, and I don't have a hdd installed on my machine, booting off an external DVD-Burner.
so I don't know if that makes any differenc.

yarchie73
08-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Me too, I have recently built a new pc around the ASUS P5B. I was hoping to dual-boot Windows and Linux but now I find out that I cannot get ANY Linux distro to boot ...

I started out by trying Debian 3.1 for AMD64, which did not work at all as it could find neither CDRW nor DVDRW. Then, when I had heard Ubuntu comes with a better installer, I tried that one, too, but equally without success. Next, someone suggested I gave Knoppix a try as it might provide a workaround. I guess I should not even have bothered. I keep getting the "can't find filesystem" error, no matter what I try. I have checked and re-checked md5sums, have burnt and re-burnt CDs and DVDs, have booted from both internal disk drives as well as an external one, tried about any boot parameter imaginable, copied part of the files onto a FAT32 HD, experimented with a floppy disk, with BIOS settings ... It is all hopeless and as I have been at it for over two weeks now, I am more than a wee little bit pissed off (excusez l'expression) with Linux because nothing, nothing seems to get it properly booting at last.

At first I thought the problem was with the CDRW and DVDRW (both NEC) because Debian keeps nagging that it requires some drivers for them. But now that I see that there are plenty of people with the same problems and an identical mobo, it seems more likely that the prime suspect is the ASUS indeed.

Anyway, I recently posted on another forum and I was told that yes, it was likely that part of the hardware is not supported at this time and that it could well be months before such support does become available. Wow, was I ever happy to hear that ...

[/i]

Wuffty
08-22-2006, 01:25 PM
yes, I had the same problems. I didn't find any Linuxdistribution without those problems (Knoppix, Redhat, Suse, Debian of course)
Booting until the CD-Filesystem is mounted, then: nada, dropping you to reduced shell :-(

The chipset obviously is a little bit 'too young' :-/

Cheers,

-Udo

MrGreen
08-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Managed to get DSL up & running but I had to put knoppix image on a pendrive & fromhd=/dev/sda1 ... but my sata drive & dvd drive still do not show up ;-(

Hoping that 2.6.18 fixes this issue ... but Its not much help to me if I cannot use my beloved Knoppix DVD lol

Thanks for your help

yarchie73
08-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Here is what is wrong with the ASUS P5B series: the JMicron PATA/IDE controller is not yet supported under Linux. Two or three of the people in charge of building/maintaining the Linux kernel have now admitted that they made a "stupid error" overlooking the JMicron.

Patches are already out and anyone interested should google about a bit for "Linux JMicron patch".Whether these are of any use will obviously depend on your level of technical expertise. If you are very much a newbie as I am, they are merely, as we say in Dutch, "a patch on a wooden leg". So all I can do for now is wait for the final version of 2.6.18. I hear that it will feature in the next Ubuntu but then that one is not expected to come out before the end of October. So only two more months to go...

I am getting a bit impatient so I will now have a try with a floppy or a hard disk install. No cd/dvd required in those cases but for all I know the Jmicron issue may still pop up some way to ruin the only remaining option. By the way, does anyone know a good site which explains floppy and/or hd-install?

MrGreen
08-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Going to try 2.6.18-rc4 see if they are in there ....

As you say building kernel is not something I want to do ....

google whats that rofl .... yes I did have a look around not the only one with the problem but not being able to boot knoppix upset me (not Klaus's fault!)... you can please some people some of the time but not all the people all the time ....

keep you posted ...

yarchie73
08-27-2006, 06:37 AM
Well, I've finally managed to get a distribution installed, in spite of the Jmicron issue with the Asus P5B. I think it was on a Dutch or Belgian site that someone pointed out that it was perfectly possible to install Fedora Core 5 so I gave it a try and - HECK YES - it works! Not out of the box but you need only the following boot parameter:

all-generic-ide irqpoll

(the irqpoll suppresses the error messages generated by irq17 when you go all-generic-ide).

One other thing to remember is that Fedora Core 5 does not have support for the Realtek Gigabit on the mobo but you can download a driver from their site. It has taken me some time to figure out how to get it working but it now does. And yet another: the all-generic-ide works only during install; whenever you reboot Fedora and you want it to discover your CD/DVD, you need to use the boot parameter again. There must be a way of setting once and for all but I am still looking...

As for the Knoppix fans, I am afraid that this boot parameter will not be of any help - unless you manage to get a copy that has a kernel older than 2.6.17 (check out the download page). The reason that installing Fedora Core 5 succeeds is that it still uses a 2.6.16: apparently the "all-generic-ide" workaround somehow got lost after after that, something to do with SATA support I understand. Anyway, I cannot promise that my suggestion is sure to work but I may be able to find out as I still have a commercial Knoppix CD that came with a book that was publised in 2005. I do not know when 2.6.17 was first introduced but given some luck, my CD still has an older kernel. I'll let you know (unless someone beats me to it...)

yarchie73
08-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Woops,

erratum:

the full boot parameter for Fedora should really be: linux all-generic-ide irqpoll

MrGreen
08-27-2006, 07:58 AM
add it to grub .... kernel line or in lilo append maybe?

Realtex may be the r1000 stuff which I may have

your lsmod output may help me if you do not mind

built 2.6.18-rc4 which should have jmicron stuff in it

thanks for your help

yarchie73
08-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi Mr Green,

Yes, it is the r1000 alright. Just make sure you get the latest version, which is r1000_v1.04, because earlier versions appear to have some problems. I got my download straight from the realtek site. When you have it installed and you want to configure your network, just bear in mind that the driver does not appear as Realtek or RTL but as Intel something something. Whatever, it works.

By the way, is the lsmod still required? If so, please specify what you need.

And do let me know if your kernel build is any success so I can see whether it is worthwile buidling my own. I would not know where to start but I reckon my Debian Bible will show me.

Cheers.

yarchie73
08-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Oh, and by the way, for anyone interested, I just tested my older Knoppix CD with all-generic-ide. Does not seem to work... Either it is not old enough or, worse, Knoppix has never understood the all-generic thingy to begin with.

MrGreen
08-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Yo,

yeah r1000 stuff broke on my first roll of kernel ... new version works

I got FC5 up & running added all-generic-ide to kernel of grub my DVD shows up ;-)

FC picked up lan (eth0) ok would like to see modules (where are they hiding! lol)

Was told new modules for jmicron are in 2.6.18-rc* [EDIT mm!!!!! ]did have a go at building it see how it goes...

Knoppix there are always options ;-) just not found one yet

Thanks for all your help

First time this Box has run Linux its sweeet 8)

yarchie73
08-30-2006, 12:59 AM
Good to hear everything went well, Mr Green.

Just an afterthought for JMicron owners who don't like Fedora or who would like to add an extra distribution . If you cannot wait for the final release of kernel 2.6.18 , then it may be worthwhile installing an IDE controller card (the Promise Ultra, for example, does have Linux support). OK, it will cost you 25 to 40 Euros but it should solve your problems at once. And most of those controllers allow you to connect an extra four ATA/IDE devices, which is a good thing for people who need more than two optical drives or or who were hoping to add one or more ATA hard disks.

MrGreen
08-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi,

I'm running a prerelease version of beyond kernel ....on my new system

Ok... still not got access to dvd drive but I'm working on it

Yes I even tried to convert dvd to sata but still does not see it... have been told that adding an ide controller would not help (you may prove me wrong!)

Right ahci is set in bios (sata/ide) ahci module is loaded at boot (which is very slow atm!)

Yeah a Knoppix 5.01 would be cool ... the only way I could get a livecd to load was plug in a pendrive holding iso image works but again no dvd drive (of course booting this way you can copy2ram! if you have the ram!)

2.6.18-rc5 may have jmicron stuff.....

just thought I would keep you up to date

HTH

yarchie73
08-30-2006, 06:50 PM
All confused to hear you think Promise IDE controller is not supported under Linux. :?

I heard it really is from someone (with the ASUS P5B) who added one and was able install Gentoo .. . Can't see why they should lie; it was in Dutch so I don't expect it was merely cheap advertising by some Promise employee. In fact, I went to the site and found this:

http://www.promise.com/marketing/datasheet/file/Ultra133tx2DS_v3.pdf

It does list Linux, doesn't it? And I see it's being sold by a pc shop near my place that specializes in anything Linux (especially Debian and Suse). But then again, they sell the ASUS p5b too, so maybe that doesn't mean anything. :roll:

Anyway, I placed an order for one today. Even if it does not work, it won't be a complete waste of money because I was hoping to install an ATA hard disk to run my MINIX OS (it has no SATA support). No other way to do so with the JMicron completely taken by the CD and DVD.

Only problem is these controllers are getting rarer and rarer now that SATA is taking over so I cannot be sure whether the order will actually be filled. :(

I will let you know.

JS

MrGreen
08-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Forgive me I did not mean its not supported under linux ....

I was told that adding an ide card to my mobo would make no difference ... I have not tried it so I cannot confirm that

Of course if you get it working I'll be rushing out to buy one lol :wink:

yarchie73
09-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Hiyah,

Sorry if my latest message sounded like a telling off; it wasn't meant to be.

Just a quick note to let you know I checked with my shop; the Promise TX 133 controller should be coming in today (Monday). If all goes well, I will know whether it works or not by tomorrow evening (latish).

But frankly, I 'm increasingly confident it will. Just a few minutes ago I read another post from someone who got one of those & who's now running Debian ( which does not recognize the JMic - I can tell, I tried - for two :evil: weeks...). Sure, it may be on different system so I may still get disappointed... But until that time: :)

MrGreen
09-05-2006, 07:52 AM
Hi,

np... The boys at Gentoo have got a minimal live cd running ... which has patches that will see dvd drives...

More likely 2.6.18 will support JM stuff

Please I will be interested to hear if you get your dvd drive working (with Knoppix or any livecd!)

You can of course install Linux in a number of ways but I would like to have a working dvd drive

MrG

metalhead
09-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Hi,

I also consider to order a P5B. After I read this I'm a little confused about the JMirconas situation.
According to the Asus homepage the JMicronas chip only provides two out of six SATA ports (and the
PATA). Now I read in different boards that's impossible to install Debian, Knoppix, ... to a SATA
harddisk attached to this board.
But four SATA ports are connected to the southbridge. At least this four ports should work in my
opinion. The PATA port is not necessary for me, I have even to install anonther one, because
2 devices is much to less.
Isn't the 2.6.18-rc6 kernel out yet (at least in testing)?
Had everyone had a try to install a linux to this board (test different SATA ports).
Last week the power supply in my PC killed all components (7 harddisks...), and this happens at
a worse time for me, because I don't have much time for tests at the moment.

Best regards
Metalhead

MrGreen
09-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Yes 2.6.18-rc6 is out going to try that see if it works .... will let you know unless someone beats me to it ;-)

metalhead
09-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi,

thanx a lot!
Would be great to get this working.

Metalhead

yarchie73
09-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Hi Mr Green,
Hi Metalhead,

Well, Metalhead, I'm afraid you're not right about the soutbridge.

Sure, Linux will work with the southbridge. Only: how do you get your OS installed ?

See, the problem isn't the drives, it's the JMicron chip that controls all communication between ANY hard disk and CD/DVD players.

In short: it' impossible to send Linux from your cd/dvd to your hd (the freakin' bridge is closed!) but even if you do find a workaround, then there's still the fact that you'll face the same problem in a new way: at first you cd/dvd didn't find your hd, now your hd won't find your cd/dvd... One suggestion: get SATA optical drives although I cannot guarantee it's fireproof & also you'll have fewer connectors left for your hds.

And by the way, you should remember that the onboard LAN (Realtek 8111/8168) is not supported either! So even a netinstall is out of the question. Yes, there are drives around but again, they're useless unless you have your Linux already installed.

That is why I suggested and IDE controller in my previous posts.

Come to that, Mr Green, I've got it installed but it's not (yet) doing what it should.

Yes, I did get to see my Knoppix 5 for the first time (it's great!) & yes I got quite a long way installing Debian BUT (oh oh) now I DON'T FIND MY HDS ANYMORE!!! How's that for an alternative! Possibly, it's just a matter of finetuning - there have been quite a few BIOS updates since this thing came out - but right now it's hardly an improvement.

Besides, when I booted Win XP, it didn't detect the hds either - until I rebooted with the JMicron instead (the irony!!). Worse, it became completely unstable & went into reboot after reboot.

Also, it does not look too good inside my box. I mean, replacing the IDE cable to the card places it right in front of my CPU fan. The CPU is still getting cooled but now any cool air that went to my hds is being completely blocked. And they could use it: they're so close that they could easily get too hot.

I guess I'll have to find a longer IDE cable. Provided I get the card to work properly first.

MrGreen
09-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Ok....

All I can say is that there are patches for kernel to get dvd drive running .... would post them but I do not see its going to help you much (let me if you do want to look!)

Was going to say try this iso by the gentoo guys but you cannot d/l or burn it :?

Onboard lan is working for me using my new box now, drives show up fine (beyond kernel!)

Now I have not got wireless lan working but again as board is new the drivers are too (problems compilin' atm)

How did I get my box running well I already had Linux installed on old machine using a live cd, usb pendrive & going into old install via chroot was able to set up lilo ... fstab etc ... & in the in end it boots

tried sata/ide drive adaptor that did not work for me ... although I think I may have plugged it in the wrong sata on mobo (ahead of hd's!)

No livecds atm do not work... but getting linux running on P5B (Jmicron!) yes my drives show up (sata!) but not dvd yet

Been using Linux for a few years now & know not to give up (not after I have spent all this money on this sweeet box!)

I'll help you as much as I can .....

:wink:

yarchie73
09-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Hi,

Thanks for offering help but I have made "some" progress in the meantime - though it's the kind that takes a lot of hard work.

Turns out the Promise IDe controller does have its use but also many drawbacks:

- It did not detect any of my sata hds at first; after some bios adjustments it detected one at least : the bootable one, which was exactly where I meant NOT to install; solved it by unplugging this one & moving the second one to the first connector.

- Obviously:installing Debian Grub on this second drive also means all its information will be wrong when I reconnect the first sata; just more work ...

- Dual-booting with Windows XP 64 is impossible because Promise has 32 bit drivers only; If you boot up with as few as a single device plugged into the Promise, you're in for a nice round of crashes and reboots. Just like Windows, all my Linuxes are 64 bit but they do work (more or less) with the Promise . Unfortunately, I still need Win for work so dropping it altogether is not an option. I had hoped that connecting my dvd to Promise & the cd to Jmic would work, but nopes, nothing but problems that way.

- Worst of all: it seems like I am constantly moving things around in my box. Plug in a Sata, move another one, replace and IDE cable, etc etc It's tiresome & really, if pcs were meant to be handled this way, they wouldn't be so well locked up into a case, right?

All in all, It's fine for now. If I manage to get Debian installed - I am confident I will - I guess I will replace my hardware in its original order and go without cd/dvd until the right kernel comes out; I also have Fedora and that one does show cd & dvd.

And you know what? Now I'm also trying to get Solaris 10 installed ... Oh no, I must some sadomasochist freak!

MrGreen
09-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Wow! that sounds waay too complicated to me

I'll see if my new kernel works ....

2.6.18 should solve our problems.....

Good Luck with your install :)

EDIT my new kernel is working ... dvd drive is showing as hda (listening to music right now!!! for the first time!)

2.6.18-rc6 with jmicron patch

MrG

yarchie73
09-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Now there's some good news! :D

Could you let me know whether rc6 comes with the jmicron patches included or whether you still had to recompile?

If it's not too much trouble, I will get me one too. I'm really getting tired of the hocus pocus with the controller card because I now need to install Fedora & Debian again. :?
The first time I Gave Debian too little space so I reinstalled & I also added Solaris 10 but now both Debian & Fedora went screaming bloody murder & they basically passed out. Sooo Great... I guess the 10 in Solaris refers to the number of times you have to install before you get a tenth of it working.

Btw, I am fairly new to Linux so perhaps you could answer this question for me: is it safe to upgrade only the kernel on an existing Linux. I mean, both Fedora and Debian r0a have been around for a while; wouldn't a brand new kernel cause parts of it to break?

MrGreen
09-08-2006, 04:59 PM
http://distfiles.evolution-mission.org/sources/2.6.17/emission8/broken-out/031-jmicron-ide-2.6.17.patch

HTH

Built on 2.6.18-rc6

errr

you need to add

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_JMICRON=m

to config (you may want to change it to =y !)

Or search Gentoo forums for jmicron

I set my BIOS to AHCI for use with my sata drives (module loaded with initrd!)

HTH