PDA

View Full Version : Problems connecting with Wireless

pf123
08-16-2006, 03:29 AM
I have an old Compaq presario 1279, designed for windows 98, so I'm not sure on its exact age, but its old :p.
And I have an SMC Networks EZ Connect Wireless card.
Running Knoppix 4.

After much trouble I figured out how to make it connect to networks that I want, and KWifiManager says this
Connected to network: 2WIRE258
access point: 00:13:95:74:A6:61
local ip: unavailable
frequency [channel]: 2.437 [6]
encryption:
Signal Strength 100

I would use wired, but my card for the ethernet adapter is broken, plus wireless would be nice.
Anyways, so it says its connected, i have an unavailable ip, and I cant open any websites.
What do i do now? I'd like to be able to connect to irc, msn, and the web, but I cant :\

Jacky
08-16-2006, 06:47 AM
You are quite close to making it work.

You have detected the access point. Assuming your access point has DHCP activated, now you need to ask the access point DHCP server to give you an IP address. Go to the Knoppix menu (the Penguin), select Network/Internet -> Network card configuration. You may have to select your wireless device (probably eth0 or eth1 or something like that). It will ask you "Use DHCP Broadcast?" Select yes. This should get you an IP address from the access point. After this, test to see if you can connect to the internet.

pf123
08-16-2006, 05:05 PM
the dhcp fails :S...i tried doing it manually with the same network card config, but not clicking use dhcp, i get an ip assigned (which i assigned myself) but internet pages still dont work, and I assigned it an ip within the dhcp range of my router

any other ideas? :idea:

maraja
08-16-2006, 08:11 PM
the dhcp fails :S...i tried doing it manually with the same network card config, but not clicking use dhcp, i get an ip assigned (which i assigned myself) but internet pages still dont work, and I assigned it an ip within the dhcp range of my router

any other ideas? :idea:

pf123,

same problem even here... :(

Trying with an old HP Notebook on a D-LINK DWL-G650 WiFi card. The system works under Windows XP but not in Knoppix.

By setting the card IP address through Network card configurator I can see the router using KWiFi Manager. Unfortunately I still see Local IP as unavailable and I am not able to ping even the router....

Anyone can direct us to some how to instructions ?!?

Thank you a lot in advance,

Ugo Grandolini
Knoppix 5.0.1 CD

Jacky
08-17-2006, 03:09 AM
Hi,

By searching this forum and google with "knoppix dhcp fails" and knoppix got IP cannot connect to internet", discovered many useful hints. Try them out and see if they work.

It seems many people have experience such things. Some explanations are that it could be the non-standard DHCP of the router. I have also seen a few cases of people who got an IP (either manually or by DHCP) and then cannot connect to the internet. In some cases, the users reported that they could connect using Konqueror but not through Firefox.

[/url]

Dick_Lake
08-24-2006, 11:55 PM
I am using Knoppix 5.0 and I cannot get Knoppix to recognize my wireless card.

Any ideas?

Jacky
08-25-2006, 03:24 AM
I'll need some information to be able to help you.

Which wireless card are you using and what symptoms do you observe when you try to boot up? Does Knoppix hang during the autoconfig or do you boot up successfully and just cannot connect? If you can boot up, what do you see when you type this command: ifconfig -a?