PDA

View Full Version : I cannot connect to Broadband with Knoppix

DavidMitchell
08-16-2006, 05:11 PM
I tried Knoppix a few years ago with a Win98 PC but gave up after so mnay glitches that couldn't be resolved.
This week, I downloaded Knoppox again and after it boots up, everything is fine except that I am not connected to the internet. I am with Freenetname and have a Broadband account which goes on line as soon as the PC is switched on (I'm on Windows XP).
Weirdly, after Knoppix boots up, all the modem lights are on (Voygaer 205 ADSL Router) which is the sign that I am connected OK, but on loading up Firefox, and the Knoppix browser, it is clear
that I am not connected. I have looked at the 'internet' settings on Knoppix but quite frankly cannot supply several things it asks.
Is it usual to have this trouble, and can anyone shed any light on this, or am I again going to have to go back to Windows?

Thanks

David

ockham23
08-16-2006, 05:18 PM
How do you connect to the router? USB cable or ethernet?

DavidMitchell
08-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the reply.
The Router is connected to a USB port on the back of my PC, although
I was once told the cable (a thick blue one) is an Ethernet connection.
Sorry to sound so dim, but I've been using Pcs and modems since the 1980s and my brain just doesn't keep up with the advancing technology!
David

ockham23
08-16-2006, 06:05 PM
First, we have to figure out whether this is a router or a modem. I suspect it's a modem because it's connected to the USB port of your pc. Please open a terminal window ("Konsole") and enter the following command:

lsusb
This will list and identify all USB devices connected to your pc.
What does it say?

DavidMitchell
08-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Once again, thanks.

Sheeeesh! This all brings back memories of why I gave up on Knoppix on the previous occasion.
I did as you said and got a listing and made a text file of this to save - however knoppix made this
simple 5-second job into a marathon task and after 30 minutes of attempts, I found I could not
save it to my C: drive.
I managed to access the C; drive from knoppix after a while but couldn't save the file (it was too long for me to write out) to the C: drive.
From what I could see from the listing, the modem wasn't listed.
BTW, my email is
strike_x321@yahoo.com

Thanks

David

ockham23
08-16-2006, 07:49 PM
David, is this your router:
http://www.voyager.bt.com/205/prodinfo.htm

You can also try

ifconfig -a
in Konsole.

If this command returns information on either interface eth0 or usb0, you might be able to set it up with "Configure network card" from the Knoppix menue. Maybe its a USB to ethernet converter cable.