PDA

View Full Version : Problem with QTPARTED

cvcc12000
08-16-2006, 07:17 PM
I have been told by Dell that I need to format my Hard Drive and reinstall Windows Media Center.To avoid losing all my pics and music I was going to run qtparted from my Knoppix 3.7 and create a partition and move my stuff over first.When I booted to Knoppix and ran qtparted I got a message saying no device to be found and it did not detect my HD.I've used this disc in other pc's and have never had this problem.What can be done to ge qtparted to see and allow me to partition my HD.It's a SATA drive.Others were IDE if that makes a difference.Others were running XP not Media Center.

cvcc12000
08-17-2006, 07:29 PM
I downloaded Knoppix 5 and it does detect the Hard Drive.When I run qtparted and try to resize the partitions I get a message saying "File system Check failed"Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ockham23
08-17-2006, 09:15 PM
I think it's a very bad idea to resize a partition that you want to salvage data from. Can't you get an external drive to save the data to or use a LAN connection and another computer?

cvcc12000
08-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Thats what we ended up doing.But I'd still like to partition my HD into at least partitions and for some reason qtparted is not allowing me to do so.It just wont owrk on the pc with the Win Media Center and the SATA drive.My other 2 have XP and IDE's and I can partition all day long with qtparted.

ockham23
08-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Don't you have a Windows XP installation cd? If you boot your computer of the installation cd, Windows will run its own partition manager.