PDA

View Full Version : root access to mounted drive

pieboy314
08-17-2006, 07:26 PM
tried searching but couldn't find my answer.

in a nutshell.. we had an old Red Hat server die, motherboard problem, we pulled the harddrive, stuck it in a Windows 2000 machine and booted with Knoppix 4 and we were able to extract most of the info we needed.

...however, we need the mysql databases and they are "locked" for lack of a better term, they appear with little gold locks on them and will not copy off of the old drive, (they come off as 0KB, not any error message)

I assume we need root access to the Red Hat drive, on the Windows 2000 machine via Knoppix 4.0... Oh my :lol:

thanks for any help and/or assistance.

ockham23
08-17-2006, 09:20 PM
I don't know, but have you tried mounting the drive as root from console?

su
mount /dev/hda1 /media/hda1

Replace "hda1" with the correct drive letters for the partition.

Or try copying the file as root to a NTFS/FAT32 network share, so it will loose its file properties.

su
cp /media/hda1/file.name /home/knoppix/mount/share/file.name

malaire
08-18-2006, 09:31 AM
...however, we need the mysql databases and they are "locked" for lack of a better term, they appear with little gold locks on them and will not copy off of the old drive, (they come off as 0KB, not any error message)

I just tested this, and you get the gold locks in Konqueror when you don't have permission to read the file/directory.

I assume we need root access to the Red Hat drive

Yep.

You can use command sudo konqueror --profile filemanagement to start Konqueror with root access. (This gives me some error-messages in Knoppix 4.0.2 CD, but seems to work)

Alternatively you can use root-konsole to copy the files. (KMenu->System->More Applications->"Terminal Program - Super User Mode" or just use su in Konsole)
I'd suggest using konsole if you are able to, but if not you could try using konqueror even if it gives some error-messages.