PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade after HD Install - future problems

artik
08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
I've heard a lot on problems of Knoppix upgrade after HD installation.

Now I've created localized version of Knoppix - Kazit.

It has great feature "knoppix-installer" but also it is known that it will have lots of upgrade problems.
For example when I tryed to install official Debian OpenOffice (because I need localization files) I had problems with packages bsh that conflicted with ash-knoppix. And so on.

What is the real risk of installation of Knoppix on HD? Is it possible to upgrade it?
What are problematic packages that proably can be removed in order to get cleaner Debian system?

It is quite important for me becasue if it is impossible to upgrade the system I'd prefare to remove knoppis-installer at all to prevent these kind of problems.

Thanks

Harry Kuhman
08-20-2006, 07:09 PM
You know the problems that exist. You apparently know the advice usually given to install Debian instead of Knoppix, which does not have these problems. What more is there to say?

angello
08-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi. I installed a Knoppix 5 copy on my laptop (Acer TravelMate 2413 NLMi). It works fine. The only problem arrived when i upgraded packages. After reboot, now on my desktop appears 3 CD-ROMs along with my harddrives. Exactly are 2 CD-ROMs and 1DVD-ROM. What should I do to make them dissapear?

pterandon
11-15-2006, 04:04 AM
Artik,
This problem of yours is not an unresolvable function of having done an HDD install. See a very helpful solution to your problem here:
http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22940&highlight=bsh&sid=d1f961e8b13fcd2a28a5681d54bf4e86

Francesco Pietra
11-16-2006, 12:00 AM
It depends on what you want to do. As often advised - and stressed above in another post - there is no point to HD install Knoppix for your daily-used machine. Just install Debian.

The reverse is true if you plan traveling and finding a PC wherever you stop. I recently traveled for a couple of weeks in the South Seas, visiting scientific institutions where I could discuss problems as if I were in my office. All that without the annoying, expensive, short-living (and Microsoft imposed) notebook. I just had a Knoppic CD 5.0.1 and a tiny 80GB HD (115 euros overall) for pivot_root install and for my data. It went on smoothly with a perfect i386 Debian, scientific applications (not for crushing number, as that requires amd64 on a parallel system of cpu) and two Windows applications (a database and a molecular drawing package) on Wine: that was even faster than on native OS whenever the PC had 1GB ram. The only problems I sometimes found were connection to internet: most PC are equipped with bad-brand ethernet controllers which are seen though not put to work; whenever I found a Realtek controller, internet was reached smoothly. I never tried printing because I did not need that.

Why should I upgrade that HD installation? Now, in my office, that HD is merely used for backup. As Debian-Knoppix it is sleeping. It could be awaken for a new travel. For that I could even HD-reinstall if Knoppix has progressed. Now that I know how to do it will take a couple of hours at most.

I am not trying to say the last word, just tell that Knoppix can afford extraordinarily great service for science provided it is used for what it can be. I do not see favorably efforts spent at making Knoppix 64bit because it will be no service. What I would like to have is also a pivot_root install for Mac. That really because in certain areas Mac is more common than PC.

Finally, I admit that Knoppix can also be a joke. Take fun with that if you can spare time for that.

Cheers

francesco pietra