PDA

View Full Version : creating doc files using knoppix

bharat
08-20-2006, 06:45 PM
my hard disk contains two FAT32 partitions, namely C and D. there is a folder in the D partition called MYFILES.

i have a knoppix live CD (version 5.0.1). i do not want to install knoppix onto my hard disk. can i use the OpenOffice Write program on the knoppix CD to create a .doc file? And if the file can be created, can it be saved in D:\MYFILES while being in the knoppix environment?

rusty
08-20-2006, 08:15 PM
The nice thing about Knoppix is that it gives you the opportunity to try things out. For example if you open openoffice.org writer and create a file then click on File, Save As the Save As you will notice that of the many choices available, .doc is one of them.

Using knoppix to write to a FAT32 partition is quite simple , first you mount the drive by cright clicjking on it's icon on the desktop and clicking: mount. Then enableing writing to the drive by right clicking it's icon and changing it's read/write mode.

Once mounted and made writable you shold be able to save your .doc file to the drive. Note that you will have to navigate to the drive's mount point on the knoppix file system - from the openoffice save as dialog, most likely in the /mnt directory. Or you can save it to the knoppix desktop and use knqueror to drag and drop the file into your hd.

HTH