PDA

View Full Version : Changing the screen refresh rate... without the screen

MechStan
08-21-2006, 06:42 PM
I've installed Knoppix (as the Debian installation) to the hard drive, and everything worked fine. I changed from a CRT monitor to a nice LCD screen, so that it would clutter less space. A little problem: the LCD won't take the vertical/horizontal refresh rate that the old CRT could use. I need some help figuring out which command(s) reduce(s) this rate so I can properly view this screen. Thanks, and I would appreciate any help.

ockham23
08-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Boot computer off Knoppix cd. Knoppix will query monitor settings and store results in either /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Compare this with the settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 in the root partition of your hd installation. Edit the settings of your hd installation to match those of the live cd. This should do the trick.

MechStan
08-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Um, I see what you're talking about. Another little issue: I'm also new to the scene of a Debian HD-Installation. I can't seem to save those settings into the original file. Otherwise, I believe the system can work. Running Konqueror as root gives me all sorts of permission and system process problems. Oh, and another thing: the HD-Installation version is 5.0.1, while the cd version is 4.0.2- is that part of the problem?

ockham23
08-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Launch "Root Konsole" from the Knoppix menu. At the prompt enter

mount -o rw /dev/hda1 /media/hda1
mcedit /media/hda1/etc/X11/xorg.confReplace "hda1" with the label of the root partition of your hard drive installation. Press "F2" to save to file, "F10" to quit.
When you're done editing, unmount the drive:

umount /media/hda1

MechStan
08-21-2006, 09:59 PM
I was able to successfully edit that file- thanks for the help!

But another problem to the list- Knoppix refuses to start XDM because it's "not the default display manager." After, it acts just like Konsole- asking for a username and password, in which I can use my root and personal account.

ockham23
08-21-2006, 10:47 PM
What do /var/log/syslog and /var/log/Xorg.0.log say?

MechStan
08-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Well, it appears the screen's the problem- or so it seems:

Fatal server error:
no screens found
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor

...and syslog tells me that display 0 can't be opened.

I suspect it may be how I edited Xorg.conf.

marhleet
08-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Boot computer off Knoppix cd. Knoppix will query monitor settings and store results in either /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Compare this with the settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 in the root partition of your hd installation. Edit the settings of your hd installation to match those of the live cd. This should do the trick.

in the hard drive install, there is no /etc/X11 directory.
ideas ?

ockham23
08-22-2006, 09:45 AM
The folder exists. There is definitely something wrong your hard drive install. Better check the cd and install again.

marhleet
08-22-2006, 10:40 AM
hate to feel so stupid
i was looking in the black alt-F4 command screen
doing ls
and not realising that capital letter files are at the top of the list
i found the bit i wanted, and sort of unnastann it, now, how to get it to work ....

MechStan
08-22-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't know- with a different monitor, it worked like a charm. No problems at all. Then again, I installed the Debian install with the old CRT monitor, and not the LCD. Is there, by any chance, that we could "re-do" the hardware detection like the LiveCD does?

ockham23
08-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Some hardware is being re-detected during startup, some is not. The thing coming closest to what you want to achieve is to boot off the live cd and replace xorg.conf with xorg.conf as generated by the live cd.

MechStan
08-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Two things:

-It seems the Xorg.conf created by Knoppix has disappeared. I simply can't find it. It's odd, as I found one while I was editing the old one.
-I found a file in /hda2/etc/X11 called "default-display-manager." I changed this to both kdm and xdm, but it still failed to start saying neither of these was the default display manager.

Do you think that deleting the file "default-display-manager" might do something?

ockham23
08-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Do you think that deleting the file "default-display-manager" might do something?
I doubt that deleting even more files is going to help. What about saving your data to an external drive and doing a fresh install?

MechStan
08-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Argh, looks, like I'll have to. Thanks for all the help, anyway.