PDA

View Full Version : D945G Installation Problems

jrnokes
08-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Hi guys,

I am trying to install knoppix v5.0 CD version, in runlevel 2, on an 80gb sata drive on an intel D945GNT motherboard. 512Mb ram in slot 1 of 4 (there is a performace boost if a matching dimm is in slot 3), Lite-On DVD-ROM on IDE/ATA Chain as primary. This is an LGA 775 Processor, 3.0 GHZ (Intel). The only card in the system is an ADS USB 2.0.

Commands I am using:

Starting Knoppix: knoppix dma 2

after partitioning drive with 3 partitions via cfdisk sda1 = 11GB NTFS, sda2=5GB Linux, sda3=1GB Linux Swap

IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer

What I get is:

To the screen that tells me that the system is not ready for install, when I press "OK" I get kicked to a menu with cfdisk and quit as the only options.

What I have tried so far:

startup:

Knoppix dma 2
and
knoppix 2

In Bios:
Optimal Defaults
Safe Defaults

Changing the hd controller setting from enhanced to legacy.
Turning off S.M.A.R.T.
Verifying boot order.

I think it is having problems with seeing the sata drive correctly. When I load the kernel, it shows the dvd drive as hda, but it does not show the hard drive as sda.

We have used knoppix v3.7 for a long time this way. We use knoppix to image the ntfs partition. The free space after the swap partition is turned into an image storing partition and we have written a small program to streamline the copy (ntfsclone -O /dev/hda4/current.img /dev/sda1) and conversly copy it back to the ntfs partition after the xp o/s is corrupted.

Please contact me

Thanks,

Jerry

jrnokes
08-22-2006, 01:37 PM
I appologise if this information is posted elsewhere. I did not see it when I looked.

Using "IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer"

The answer to our problem was that the IGNORE_CHECK variable was not being passed from the knoppix user shell to the su shell. Therefore, if you are needing to use the variable, you will need to either export the variable, or enter su before setting the variable. We used the standard "export IGNORE_CHECK", and it worked. We also entered su "sudo -i" and then executed the line "IGNORE_CHECK=1 knoppix-installer".

Which begs the question of why I had to use the IGNORE_CHECK in the first place. As stated before, an intel D945GNT with a Maxtor 80GB SATA drive, fairly vanilla. I sense that the code is having problems with SATA. I tried every configuration I could think of, including re-partitioning and using a different motherboard and hard drive. "cfdisk" seemed to work ok, the only unusual occurance I noticed was that I could not set the type to "linux". I would choose type 83, but it always made the type "Linux EXT3". So I booted the Knoppix v3.7 disk, set it and it was fine. Although, v5.0 still refused to install unless I used the ignore.

In any case, we now have it installed on the hard drive.

Thanks,

Jerry