PDA

View Full Version : Configuring internet in knoppix

Lerner
08-22-2006, 03:11 PM
I recently downloaded Knoppix 5.0.1. I tried configuring network card but was unsuccessful.

In WinXP, I have been given four things by my service provider
1) IP Address(i.e I have static IP)
2) DNS
3) Subnet Mask
4) Gateway-Same as DNS

And it's a wired connection.

When I tried configuring it on knoppix, it asked for DHCP which I cancelled.
I added my IP address and gateway in respective fields. Rest I don't know how to configure. It's asking for Broadcast address, Nameserver

Please let me know if you people need any other information to help me out.
Thank You

Harry Kuhman
08-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Naneserver is the same as DNS. I suggest using Google to look up subnet mask and broadcast address, both are related, we can't tell you your values from the little information that you provided. Or search these foruns, I've described them in detail many times before. And consider using a router, which will give you important hardware firewall rotection, and once you have it set up properly, let you use dhcp in Knoppix.

grautu
08-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Once you have learned that DNS means "Domain Name Server" the only thing you miss is the Broadcast addresss. Very often, Broadcast is related to the Gateway as follows: if Gateway is x.y.z.a, then Broadcast is x.y.z.255. You may try this way.
------
Static IP is by definition the contrary to DHCP that means "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol". Therefore you never try to configure a static IP connection in a DHCP environment.
------
Anyway you are very near to solve your problem.
Good luck!

Lerner
09-14-2006, 07:55 AM
Thanks
Problem has been solved.