PDA

View Full Version : Network problem with DHCP (net.card MAC adress)

Drunx
08-30-2006, 05:40 PM
So, first i'll explain how my network works:

I have a cable modem (Motorola), my ISP configured so that if a networkcard with a SPECIFIC MAC adress sends DHCP request - than it tells it all needed configuration and letting me through... :shock:

Now the problem is: Long ago i had this networkcard with RIGHT MAC address by defualt (Cable modem was configured for this card).
Then i changed this card to anotherone and CHANGED MAC address of this new CARD to MATCH the old MAC...In winXp it is easily done.

So...now when i'm under knoppix - i can't get needed configuration from my Modem and Modem will not let me through if MAC address of my eth0 is not the one i need, cause in knoppix it goes by default (the one wich is in it from manufacturer)...

Can i somehow change MAC address of my eth0 in knoppix?

p.s. Sorry if i wrote everything rather weired, i'm just so SICK of this problem...:) :evil:

ockham23
08-30-2006, 05:49 PM
/etc/init.d/networking stop
ifconfig eth0 hw ether 01:02:03:04:05:06
/etc/init.d/networking start
Use it carefully, though. You may get errors with KDE's networking tools.

Harry Kuhman
08-30-2006, 07:25 PM
My generic answer #4 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) will also solve this problem for you, for Knoppix, windows and anything else, and provide a safer Internet experience and a lot of extra utility too.