PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 5.0.1 Low speed when loading net pages

MichaelYoung
09-03-2006, 04:01 AM
I've been experiencing Knoppix 5.0.1 live Linux-on CD lately .I find the more I explore Knoppix , the more issues
I encounter. My primary issues are as follows:

No.1 I find Knoppix does not support Chinese charaters ,therefore documents as well as net pages written in Chinese
are not readable (unrecognizable code like #@$%&*! instead of Chinese characters).

No.2 I 've configured my networking card correctly n now I can surf the net , but the problem is that the speed
some net pages are loaded n opened on my PC is extremely slow ,sometimes even occuring a load failure .While
this problem will disappear if I surf the Internet under Windows XP OS.

I list my networking hardware n related information below so as to u can help me address my issues accordingly :

My network adapter n MAC address are as follows:
Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
MAC address-- 00-0d-87-6d-81-05 (0 as zero not the letter O)

I 've got my static IP address n other essential information like subnet mask , gateway , n DNS. My ethernet adapter
is connected to a Local Area Network in a school apartment which is part of the whole school network that is connected to
the Internet.

Thanks in advance

ockham23
09-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Question #2: Does it make a difference when you use Konqueror instead of Firefox?

MichaelYoung
09-03-2006, 11:56 AM
It does not make any difference . It is the same using Konqueror or Firefox.

ockham23
09-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Maybe there's a problem with DNS resolution. Try this:
su
mcedit /etc/resolv.confAdd the following line:
nameserver 217.115.138.24Press F2 to save changes, F10 to quit.

More public name servers: http://www.opennic.unrated.net/public_servers.html

Test new settings with
nslookup www.google.com 217.115.138.24

MichaelYoung
09-04-2006, 04:02 AM
I tried the way u told me , but it does not work,either.
The results are as follows:

Maybe there's a problem with DNS resolution. Try this:
Code:
su
mcedit /etc/resolv.conf

unknown id: mcedit/etc/resolv.conf

Add the following line:
Code:
Nameserver 217.115.138.24

bash: nameserver : command not found

Press F2 to save changes, F10 to quit.

More public name servers: http://www.opennic.unrated.net/public_servers.html

Test new settings with
Code:
nslookup www.google.com 217.115.138.24

Server: 217.115.138.24
Address: 217.115.138.24#53

Non-authoritative answer:
www.google.com canonical name = www.l.google.com
Name : www.l.google.com
Address: 66.249.85.104
Name: www.l.google.com

I know the first message the root shell provided --unknown id: mcedit/etc/resolv.conf--means there is no such a path to such a tool, n the second message--bash: nameserver : command not found--means there is no such a command , but what does the 3rd group of information means is beyond me. So can u tell me sth about it ? N still the issue I topiced is not addressed , using ur way . Perhaps the problem has nothing to do with DNS, but thanks anyway. Can u think about anything esle relating to this issue? Thanx.

ockham23
09-04-2006, 10:03 AM
The second command is "mcedit[SPACE]/etc/resolv.conf"

MichaelYoung
09-04-2006, 04:22 PM
I send an e-mail to my friend Kip who inroduced Linux to me , telling him my slow speed problem n he told me:

" It's not the internet connection. The problem is that the software is
running from the CD instead of the hard drive. The CD is slower than
the hard drive. I think Knoppix is best used as a rescue or testing
CD. "

Do u think it ture ???

Rich_Es
09-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Yes running a "live" distro is slower, no it's not better to just use it as rescue cd.

Install it to your harddrive and you will see different results. This goes for any "live" distro.

Harry Kuhman
09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Yes running a "live" distro is slower, no it's not better to just use it as rescue cd.

Install it to your harddrive and you will see different results. This goes for any "live" distro.
What awful advice.

1) not all live CD are intended to be installed to hard disk, and Knoppix is known to have problems when installed.

2) while a Live CD is slower on things like loading programs because loading a program from an optical disk is generally slower than running it from hard disk, actually running the program once loaded shouldn't be slower at all. In some cases, like a browser, it may actually be faster since any temporary files (cookies, flash and other cached items) are saved to ram disk, not to hard disk.

Rich_Es
09-04-2006, 11:13 PM
[quote=Rich_Es]Yes running a "live" distro is slower, no it's not better to just use it as rescue cd.

What awful advice.

I beg your pardon ?

1) not all live CD are intended to be installed to hard disk, and Knoppix is known to have problems when installed.

All linux distro's have problems when installed on the hardrive. It just depends on the experience of the user to solve those problems. Many factors need to be taken into account depending on hardware, amount of RAM, processor speed, bandwidth etc.

2) while a Live CD is slower on things like loading programs because loading a program from an optical disk is generally slower than running it from hard disk, actually running the program once loaded shouldn't be slower at all. In some cases, like a browser, it may actually be faster since any temporary files (cookies, flash and other cached items) are saved to ram disk, not to hard disk.

SHOULDN'T be slower depending on the previously stated factors. The OP's friend told him to use his knoppix solely as a rescue disk, THAT is awful advice. As a modertaor, your tone is awful.

I have experience installing, testing, and configuring, upwards of 30 different distros, both Linux and Unix, including live distros. My first in 1994 (Suse). An installed distro will ALWAYS run better than a live distro. I'm sorry but that's a fact. Maybe you could enlighten me with your experience.

So your advice is don't install knoppix as it is known to have problems once installed. That is GOOD advice then?

Harry Kuhman
09-05-2006, 12:02 AM
So your advice is don't install knoppix as it is known to have problems once installed. That is GOOD advice then?
Yes, I believe it is. It's far different to say "all Linux (in fact all opertaing stystems) can have problems", than saying that Knoppix is primarily a Live CD and some of the choices that went into making the Live CD are known to cause problems when it is installed to a hard disk. I know of absolutely no good reason to install Knoppix rather than a distro intended for hard disk install like Debian etch. Since the installer is free to install all of the application included in Knoppix into Debian etch as well, there is no upside to fighting with the known problems of Live CD installed into a world where it does not belong. If you feel that you want to fight those problems, go right ahead. But new users should be cautioned about the problems praticularly when there are much better alternatives, rather than just told to install Knoppix.

Rich_Es
09-05-2006, 01:11 AM
So, on a knoppix forum you would tell a new user (who is having problems with the live cd) just not to use it and even though the developers went to a lot of trouble to include install-files, that installed on the harddrive it doesn't work either. You never know, by doing an install, new users might learn something. Whatsmore you said a newbie should try Debian Etch ?!
Why not just go the whole hog and tell everyone on the forum that Knoppix is no good, go get PClinuxOS instead?

Just out of curiosity, for the OP, what is your solution for his slow "live" knoppix ? I am intrigued.

Vorian
09-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Thats why Knoppix is only good camping mirror. Live CD's are good for two reasons

1. test drive
2. fix windows

If a distro is only good for a test drive, what good is it?

Harry Kuhman
09-05-2006, 02:34 AM
So, on a knoppix forum you would tell a new user (who is having problems with the live cd) just not to use it and even though the developers went to a lot of trouble to include install-files, that installed on the harddrive it doesn't work either. You never know, by doing an install, new users might learn something. Whatsmore you said a newbie should try Debian Etch ?!
Why not just go the whole hog and tell everyone on the forum that Knoppix is no good, go get PClinuxOS instead?

Just out of curiosity, for the OP, what is your solution for his slow "live" knoppix ? I am intrigued.

I didn't tell a new user just not to use the Live CD.

The developers didn't go to a heck of a lot of trouble, there have been known problems with a hard disk install for years. The oldest problem in the HDD Install forum is networking that was fine from the Live CD breaking after an "install", and I still see reports of the same symptoms. Klaus even so much as admitted that previous versions were not suitable for install when he claimed that this version was finally ready for install, but there are a lot of problems in the current release and the install is one of them. Just because someone managed to convince Klaus to include some install scripts is not reason to advice every noob to install Knoppix, when we know it leads to many problems.

The user might learn a lot by smashing their hand with a hammer, as you say, you never know. But hand smashing or knoppix installing, either one would be irresponsiable to suggest.

Knoppix is based on Debian (although an incompatable mix of Debian distros that are delicately balanced and usually break when installed to hard disk). So it's reasonable to suggest someone who likes what they see on the Live CD install Debian, they can apt-get any application in Knoppix. I don't advise against other Linux distros, and I'm not saying that Debian is the best distro for all users, but it's a much better place to start than installing Knoppix.

Michael has been fighting with several problems since he started posting. I don't know what his speed problem is. But I do know that, although Knoppix will load a browser slightly slower than either my Debian or my Windows systems, it surfs just fine after the browser is loaded. He was given bad advice that the speed problem was due to running from the Live CD.

Rich_Es
09-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Ok, Here is a good distro chooser for anybody that isn't sure what is right for them:-
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php?select_lang=true

Rich

PS: I can't remember now if "Do you want an installable distro that works?" is one of the options. :mrgreen: