PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Linux?

PhantomOSX
05-17-2003, 04:55 AM
Has the most features, most support, most compatibility, etc? I'm looking to install one on my HD but not sure which to pick. I heard Mandrake was good but I'm not sure. I'll continue to use Knoppix but am looking for another. Help me out please. Thanks.

eadz
05-17-2003, 06:34 AM
Has the most features, most support, most compatibility, etc? I'm looking to install one on my HD but not sure which to pick. I heard Mandrake was good but I'm not sure. I'll continue to use Knoppix but am looking for another. Help me out please. Thanks.

What's wrong with knoppix?

Rixel
05-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Want the best of both worlds?....http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

<snip>

Rixel

PhantomOSX
05-25-2003, 07:32 AM
Nothing's wrong from Knoppix but I was wondering if there were better Linux OSes out there.

Stephen
05-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Nothing's wrong from Knoppix but I was wondering if there were better Linux OSes out there.

It depends on what you mean by better but if you would like to check out some other flavours of linux Distrowatch (http://www.distrowatch.com/) has more than enough listed to keep you busy installing for a while.

VeeDubb
05-27-2003, 11:56 PM
Asking what the "best" flavor of linux is, is a lot like asking what the best flavor of ice cream is. You will get different opinion from every person.

If you are REALY linux savy you might look at lfs "Linux From Scratch" You pick you kernel version and buiold your own distro fromt he ground up. THen it's what you make it.
Compatability isn't realy an issue since all linux distros are interoperable. Mandrake Redhat and knoppix are probablyt he easiest to install. basicaly the only thing you can do is keep trying distros untill you find the right one. For me, Mandrake 9.0 is just right. For you, maybe gentoo, or redhat or lfs, it's like ice cream

iconfly
05-29-2003, 12:13 AM
For a linux system that is easy to install and go, I think mandrake is about the best. I run 8.? something, and it is very good. Recently there have been some good reviews on 9.? If I want to run a linux sys. on a older PC then I use Slackware. because I have some of the older Slackware C.D.s about.
I have also tried and liked very much Debian, Knoppix is a great variation of Debian. But it needs a fairly powerful P.C. to run properly. The best I have is a 350MHZ pc. I love messing about with some of the mini distrubutions,
Tomsrtbt floppy etc. Recently I set up a firewall/router using Freesco which runs of a floppy. Thats what I like about Linux, the variety. No matter what PC you may have, there is something for everyone. I can see the time when you will install a Linux dist. depending on your needs/interests. So if you like games then install Linxgames, if you need music then install Linxmusic etc etc. ................ Compare this with Microsoft, you get nothing. It is a form of slavery. Bonded to limited software, limited programming power. I like the freedom that GNU gives people.
Knoppix is an example of which Microsoft would never give to its users.
Flexibility and choice. A operating system with a load of applications built in. Enjoy and rejoice.

garyng
05-29-2003, 02:09 PM
Knoppix is an example of which Microsoft would never give to its users.
Flexibility and choice. A operating system with a load of applications built in. Enjoy and rejoice

The flexibility is for those few who don't mind messing around. For the majority, even window is too flexible(and too much).

gretchen
06-03-2003, 11:16 PM
After using Mandrake, SUSE, and RedHat, I decided on Debian. It's great once you get it installed, the Debian installer isn't that great but using Knoppix it's easy.

leftie
06-06-2003, 07:23 AM
Best distro? The one YOU can get installed into YOUR computer and have all the software YOU want to work properly.

stonent
06-07-2003, 01:32 AM
I use clarkconnect linux for my router/server. It is based on redhat, and then I use http://rhn.redhat.com to manage my packages. I get e-mails from redhat whenever a potential security vulnerability has been discovered along with a link for an updated RPM. I can also from a shell prompt type:
up2date XFree86
and it will load the latest version of XFree86

Redhat's "Redhat Network" is very compelling to me. You can get a free account for one system that includes e-mail updates and access to their RHN errata website. The only real down side is with the free service you get pushed to the end of the line when it comes to downloading updates. If the server load is high, the unpaid users don't get access until the load dies down. So you may have to wait a few hours or a day for an update, but you can still get the files from the RHN website or the updates section on the redhat site.

Here is an example:

Using username "root".
Authenticating with public key "imported-openssh-key"
Last login: Fri Jun 6 16:47:08 2003 from 192.168.0.128
[root@router root]# uname -a

Linux router.home.stonent.com 2.4.20-18.7 #1 Thu May 29 08:32:50 EDT 2003 i686 unknown

[root@router root]# up2date -p
Updating package profile...
[root@router root]# up2date -u

Fetching package list for channel: redhat-linux-i386-7.3...
########################################

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: redhat-linux-i386-7.3...

Fetching rpm headers...

Testing package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies...
kernel-doc-2.4.20-18.7.i386 ########################## Done.
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]

Installing...
1:kernel-doc ########################################### [100%]
[root@router root]#

For 60$ a year redhat will put you on the preferred list and you can even set it up to automatically install updated packages, and since it keeps a log of your package lists (free and paid versions), you can click on the different registered systems to see what is out of date or available for upgrade.

One could argue that the up2date program is just basically like apt-get but off hand, I am not aware of a e-mail update system like this on Debian.

Those are my reasons for Redhat.

Superstoned
08-26-2003, 09:13 PM
Best distro? The one YOU can get installed into YOUR computer and have all the software YOU want to work properly.

:) thats it! :D :P