PDA

View Full Version : error changing net interface name wlan0_temp to eth0

mantorp
09-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Using the knoppix cd my wireless card is detected and I can do the wlcardconfig and connect to my network, but after doing the knoppix-installer and trying to get it to work I get this error during the startup and hence cannot connect.

I'm a super Linux n00b so please be patient with me.

Harry Kuhman
09-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Welcome to Knoppix, the Live CD that really isn't suitable for installing, see answer #2 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman). Networking in particular has a long history of breaking. Actually Knoppix wireless networking isn't all that strong to start with, I have several wireless nics that work under other Linux distros but not with Knoppix, and the one wifi NIC that did work under 4.02 stopped working under 5.0.1. Be glad your works under the Live CD, and consider the wisdom of install Knoppix rather than something intended for installing.

mantorp
09-05-2006, 12:11 AM
is that the wlancardconfig stuff I set up when I booted from the harddrive the first time is now referred to in some bootup script as wlan0_temp, and for whatever reason it fails when it tries to make this eth0. If I only got it to not do that anymore maybe I can deal with doing the wlancardconfig stuff manually every time (someone might even be able to write me a script I can click once logged on hint hint where I only exchange the ssid, channel, and key etc.), but I don't know where to look.

I thought that if KNOPPIX can do it from the cd it would be trivial to get it to work even when installed.

Vorian
09-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Thats wrong! It should be eth1
eth0 is is your ethernet card.

And the OP said they were a super n00b, WTF are you trying to do to them?

mantorp
09-12-2006, 04:34 AM
the reason I'm using knoppix is it's the only LIVE cd I was able to boot up and get the wireless networking to work on.

I'm not sure it matters that it tries to name the wlan0_temp to eth0 rather than eth1, after all it works as eth0 when I use the cd.

If someone could point me to the file that does this renaming bit perhaps I could progress a bit further.

Thanks

mantorp
09-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Works like a charm installed on my hard drive, boots up quickly and my wireless is working nicely. Worth a try if someone else has the same problems I did.