PDA

View Full Version : Problems starting Knoppix 5.

ryansanders2002
09-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Hello, I really don't know much about Linux but I was hoping someone could help me. I used to use Knoppix 3.2 on and off. I just downloaded 5 and can't get it to load. I always get an error saying that it can't find a suitable x-server for my card. I've tried this in two computers, each with different cards and they've failed.

I also get a cloop decompression -3 error

The first card is Sis 760 and my other is an Nvidia. Both allowed Knoppix 3.2 to run. Any ideas?

Harry Kuhman
09-06-2006, 08:06 PM
...I also get a cloop decompression -3 error....
Well, the video system changed pretty raduically starting with version 5, but the above error should be the first thing you focus on. Read the information in Answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) and try to resolve it. Once you get past having this error, if you still have video problems, see the section on cheat codes and try some of the video related ones such as vga=normal, but fixing the error should be done first.

ryansanders2002
09-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Well I used BT to download this time and all the cloop errors are gone. I boot with vga=normal. It tells me there's an error with the x-server but then it boots up anyhow. So everything appears to be in working order. Thanks.