PDA

View Full Version : How to enable this cool konqueror feature?

maxIT
09-06-2006, 08:25 PM
When browsing, just press the Ctrl key, and Konqueror will pop up yellow squares next to each link on the current page with a number or letter. Instead of having to click the link, just press the associated letter or number on your keyboard to follow that link. (http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/29/1957219)

The feature above reported seems doesn't work in my knoppix 3.8.2 install and even in a plain debian 3.1 install (both konquerors are 3.3.2), so I'm wondering if it is a vers. issue (only most recent konquerors might have this feature) or has to be enabled in some way through settings.

malaire
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
When browsing, just press the Ctrl key, and Konqueror will pop up yellow squares next to each link on the current page with a number or letter. Instead of having to click the link, just press the associated letter or number on your keyboard to follow that link. (http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/29/1957219)

The feature above reported seems doesn't work in my knoppix 3.8.2 install and even in a plain debian 3.1 install (both konquerors are 3.3.2), so I'm wondering if it is a vers. issue (only most recent konquerors might have this feature) or has to be enabled in some way through settings.

That reporting is wrong. What Ctrl-key actually does is to show & activate the "Access Keys", nothing else. So if the webpage you are browsing uses accesskey-attribute for all links, then it will work as reported. If the webpage doesn't use accesskey-attribute, then pressing Ctrl does nothing.

You can test this feature e.g. with this simple webpage:

<html>
<head>
<title>Access Key Test</title>
</head>
<body>
Link 1 (1.html)
Link 2 (2.html)
</body>
</html>

Save that to access.html and open in Konqueror. Now when pressing Ctrl you should see "1" and "2" next to the links and you can press "1" or "2" to go to that link. At least with Knoppix 4.0.2 CD this works for me. (Konqueror version is 3.4.1)