PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Internet on 5.0.1

Capricorny
09-07-2006, 07:26 AM
I run the 5.0.1, knoppix tescd reports everything seems ok, network connection is up, I can ping anywhere, but neither Konqueror nor Firefox is able to establish connections. Tried hinting at explicit nameservers by issuing
echo 'nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx >> /etc/resolv.conf' as root, giving a proven nameserver IP, dosn't help.

Tried also hard disk install, then nothing was configured in network. Using a Dell Inspiron 510m, never had problems like this before. Any suggestions?

Edit: When I run Damn Small Linux 3.0.1, booting and running from a USB stick, everything works...

Capricorny
09-07-2006, 10:55 PM
To add to the confusion: This is written with the same setup, at another place, with another ISP and another ADSL router (Zyxel Prestige 660H-T3 vs 3Com Office Connect). Now Firefox and Konqueror both find their way around.

Harry Kuhman
09-07-2006, 11:06 PM
I have not worked with either of the routers you mention. I did have one router (a Belkin 802.11b) that failed to do a DHCP handshake properly and I had to do the netcardconfig manually.

When you say you can ping, are you pinging by ip address or by url? If you can ping 72.36.188.40 but can't ping knoppix.net then you have a DNS issue. If you can ping either then DNS is working fine.

On more than one occasion a user here has reported that the fix to a problem like yours was as simple as powering the router off and back on, or sometimes people have reset the router and the problem went away. Your results may vary.

Capricorny
09-07-2006, 11:58 PM
I could ping both ways, so there was no general DNS lookup failure involved. And there was no general failure in the router, as both DSL 3.0.1 (from USB-stick) and Mandriva2006 (from disk) on the same machine, with no network switching, worked perfectly. It happened at last boot also on this machine I am using right now (an Asus A3Hf, with the same Zyxel router), so there must be some underlying problems.