PDA

View Full Version : Live CD<->DVD

Béèm
09-08-2006, 09:32 AM
I looked at the info about the latest release, 5.0.1, but the different site don't mention what the differences are between the Live CD and the Live DVD.
Also I looked at a some Belgian download mirror sites and I am puzzled now.
The Live CD is consistently 696MB, but the Live DVD goes from 70 bytes to some 300MB.
In the forum here I have seen references of the DVD being 3GB or even 4GB.

Can someone explain (or point to a site) the difference between Live CD-DVD?
In case my needs are for the DVD where can I find this huge file?

Harry Kuhman
09-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Use the mirrors to get package lists if you want them; they are on the mirrors for both the cd and dvd. Avoid the mirrors for downloading; use BitTorrent. The 5.0.1 iso is a little over 4 gigs in size.

Béèm
09-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Thank you, Harry Kukman.

Harry Kuhman
09-08-2006, 09:55 AM
In case my needs are for the DVD where can I find this huge file?
If you haven't seen the package lists it's not at all clear how you know your needs are for the DVD, but use the Get Knoppix link near the top of this page and use BitTorrent, not the mirrors, to get the ISO. Read the Downloading FAQ if you need more details.

Béèm
09-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Sorry about the h mistyped as k in your name. :oops:
On one of the mirrors I found two txt files with the packages info of the CD and DVD
The one for CD has 1320 lines (one line per package) and the one for DVD 4884.

Do I understand that basically what the installation of the OS is concerned both are equal, but that the DVD just contains more packages to install and thus avoiding to go on a package repository online?

Harry Kuhman
09-08-2006, 11:10 AM
....Do I understand that basically what the installation of the OS is concerned both are equal....
If you're even thinking about installing either you're asking the wrong person. I consider that a huge mistake. See answer # (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman)2. Install Debian, or some other distro intended for hard disk and not plagued with problems caused by installing a Live CD/DVD.

Béèm
09-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Maybe I expressed myself not clearly.
The question was general, not to one person.
I did browse through the faq's and didn't find an answer.
As the tittle indicates, it's about using the Live CD or the Live DVD and I wanted to know what the difference is between the two.

In the mean time I downloaded the Live CD and I am working with it right now and posting with it.

I surely will have more questions and I'll ask them only if I don't find the answer elsewhere.

I hope I'll get better answers then.

sco1984
09-29-2006, 07:42 AM
[quote="Béèm"]
it's about using the Live CD or the Live DVD and I wanted to know what the difference is between the two.
quote]

Hello Beem,
Live Cd or LIVE DVD, both comes under same catogory. The major difference is, in LIVE Knoppix DVD you get all softwares,games,editing tools, various versions from various vendors and blah blah..Huge...Knoppix LIVE DVD is damn
cool ..LIVE Knoppix DVD version 5.0.x includes Eclipse and other sofwtare developement core tools. Much appriciable. It was an unexpected moment for me....Now i only use Knoppix LIVE DVD in to my computer. But i am still not able to understand how to install Knoppix LIVE DVD 5.0.x on hard disk drive? I went through DVD instalalation topic at this forum site, but most users r asking about erros solutions. I am eager to know how to install Knoppix on hard disk drive ..... :shock:

Regard's,
Amey Abhyankar.